Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get opinions on this car. Purchase price is $25,500. Car has 43k miles, clean carfax, clean inside and out. I don't usually buy extended warranties, but I thought it was worth it this time, so I added the warranty for 3 years, 36k miles. Below is a link to the VIN lookup for all the features included on the car. Good deal, or no?

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
looks like it's got the usual for a 14 45 ... not too bad
how it drives tracks and what noises show up will be the stuff to look for
bring a bright led light to check for panel to panel paint changes -> can't hide fixes with that m/g paint
how much was the extended warranty?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like it's got the usual for a 14 45 ... not too bad
how it drives tracks and what noises show up will be the stuff to look for
bring a bright led light to check for panel to panel paint changes -> can't hide fixes with that m/g paint
how much was the extended warranty?
It's got a lot more than any of the ones I usually find. I've been looking for a used CLA45 for a long time. Doesn't matter what year. It was almost impossible to find one with Recaro seats, the HK sound system, and any of the other options I wanted. The majority of the ones I found had the regular garbage seats, and almost nothing else no matter what year it was.

The Warranty is more than I want to pay for it. I'm still shopping warranties to try to find a better price. The one they offer covers engine, transmission, drive axle, suspension, steering, brake, electrical, AC and more all covered.Good anywhere Mercedes-Benz in the country. $100 deductible w/roadside assistance. $3600 for the warranty, which I think is too high.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
More than I wanted to pay for it. I'm still shopping warranties to try to find a better price. The one they offer covers engine, transmission, drive axle, suspension, steering, brake, electrical, AC and more all covered.Good anywhere Mercedes-Benz in the country. $100 deductible w/roadside assistance. $3600 for the warranty, which I think is too high.
try a local credit union ... may surprise you
that said about $30k total aint too bad with all the extra coverage added and it only went about 9k/yr so hopefully it wasnt beat up (but the coverage is not bumper to bumper right?)

pretty sure you have a magnifying glass on the car already though my 2 cents :
  • wipe the exhaust pipe with a high thread count white cloth ... how the soot looks may be telling and if theres any hint of oil or water film then better test the oil (like blackstone labs etc) and observe the coolant for any oil/water mixing etc
  • and what with the 5 year mark for that rear diff (a quick search will tell why!) may be a good idea to really "listen" to it while driving hard around corners
  • also any "noises" when bouncing the front and rear? should be zero noise otherwise its a rabbit hole for ball joints bushings shocks spring seats bla bla bla
  • the tire tread surfaces should be smooth velvet-like with no scuffing or funny uneven wear like roughed up suede
  • on FLAT ground do a quick right height check at all 4 wheels (e.g ground to arch top through the wheel centerline) should be less than 2~3mm variance if the ground is smooth and tires are even
  • on uncrowned roads the tracking and thrust angles should be good
  • how do the brake rotors look? any scoring or lips?
  • last but not least -- hopefully no leaks anywhere

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to try that. The car looks to be in perfect shape inside and out. The only thing I don't like is that it's got the 5 spoke silver 18" wheels, instead of the 19" black wheels, and the inserts on the front lip and side skirts are silver instead of black. The dash is the black ash wood trim, so I can live with that until the carbon fiber trim comes in. It will be a luxury downgrade going from my 2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD that's fully loaded to this, but driving enjoyment will skyrocket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the car doesn't appear to have been beat on at all. I wouldn't be buying it if it had. I'm selling my Q60RS that I bought basically new (dealer demo with 1300 miles) to get this car. No way I would get out of the Q for anything that wasn't in perfect shape. The original plan was actually to buy a used 04-08 Acura TSX 6 speed to use as a commuter, and sell the Q. Then just wait until the 2020 CLA45 AMG comes out and order one because I couldn't find any used ones with the equipment I wanted. Still looking to pick up a TSX commuter, but when I saw this car with all the options I wanted, I decided to get rid of the Q now, and pick it up to hold me over until I can get one of the 2020 AMG's. I might keep this car until 2021 or 2022 and then pick up a used 2020 for a lot less. There's just no way I could have waited until then and just stayed in the Q. The Q is a beautiful, and I mean beautiful car inside and out. Comfortable, quiet...all things I care nothing about. It's got 400hp, and AWD, but it's just too heavy, and it's not performance focused enough for me. I need something I can actually enjoy beating on.

I have a few questions about some of the items listed on the build sheet. I'm not familiar with Mercedes, so I don't know exactly what these are. If someone can identify these for me, that would be great. I don't know which of these are options, and which are standard features.
  • 486 - Sports suspension
  • 543 - Sun Visor with additional function
  • 763 - Radio Remote control
  • P34 - Exclusive Package
  • U21 - Sports Exhaust
  • U62 - Illumination Package

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
[*]486 - Sports suspension
[*]543 - Sun Visor with additional function
[*]763 - Radio Remote control
[*]P34 - Exclusive Package
[*]U21 - Sports Exhaust
[*]U62 - Illumination Package
Glad you found one in good shape!
If I recall for the 14 45 builds think U21 and U62 are options? Worse case those are the standard AMG exhaust and stock amber lights ... can confirm later when I find the order guide

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just wanted to get opinions on this car. Purchase price is $25,500. Car has 43k miles, clean carfax, clean inside and out. I don't usually buy extended warranties, but I thought it was worth it this time, so I added the warranty for 3 years, 36k miles. Below is a link to the VIN lookup for all the features included on the car. Good deal, or no?
I just got rid of my 2014 (45k miles) two weeks ago .. for half a second I thought you were buying mine! (No.)

What I will say is .. within 6 months of my warranty ending, I had over $3000 in repairs on mine, neither were exotic failures (water pump, etc) .. but were expensive to remove and replace.

In conclusion, hell yes, I would take the extended warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got rid of my 2014 (45k miles) two weeks ago .. for half a second I thought you were buying mine! (No.)

What I will say is .. within 6 months of my warranty ending, I had over $3000 in repairs on mine, neither were exotic failures (water pump, etc) .. but were expensive to remove and replace.

In conclusion, hell yes, I would take the extended warranty.
Yeah, I'm definitely buying a warranty. I'm just trying to find it for the best price possible. $3600 seems to be about as good as it's going to get. Mercedes dealerships have quoted me $5-8K for warranties which is laughably ridiculous. Carmax quoted about the same price when I was looking at one of the cars they had.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely buying a warranty. I'm just trying to find it for the best price possible. $3600 seems to be about as good as it's going to get. Mercedes dealerships have quoted me $5-8K for warranties which is laughably ridiculous. Carmax quoted about the same price when I was looking at one of the cars they had.
So .. $1200x3 years=$3600. Man, that's a lot. -- I just bought a used Volvo, 45k miles, 2016. To add SIX years of warranty cost me a total of $1550.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So .. $1200x3 years=$3600. Man, that's a lot. -- I just bought a used Volvo, 45k miles, 2016. To add SIX years of warranty cost me a total of $1550.
Where did you get it? What does it cover? This warranty covers all the major stuff, $100 deductible and roadside assistance engine, transmission, drive axle, suspension, steering, brake, electrical, AC and more all covered at any MB dealer in the country. $3600 seems expensive as hell to me too, but I've never bought an extended warranty at all, let alone one on an MB so I have no frame of reference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Where did you get it? What does it cover? This warranty covers all the major stuff, $100 deductible and roadside assistance engine, transmission, drive axle, suspension, steering, brake, electrical, AC and more all covered at any MB dealer in the country. $3600 seems expensive as hell to me too, but I've never bought an extended warranty at all, let alone one on an MB so I have no frame of reference.
I got it from the Volvo dealership .. it's an extension of their factory warranty, so it covers everything but the regular consumables, tires, brakes, etc.

One other thing .. when I was buying the extended warranty (for Volvo,) I was first quoted $2300. I simply stated "is that negotiable?" and the guy immediately said "yes .. how about $1550 instead?" .. I was surprised at how fast he lowered the price. -- So I would advise asking that simple question.

-- And I know you can buy the extended warranty at other Volvo dealerships -- the forum I've moved to has a partner dealership who offers discounts to forum users -- the point being, there's a market for these warranties, and other dealerships may get you a better price. -- The warranty is with the manufacturer, so .. you can buy it 1000 miles away from your home and it's the same product.

·
Registered
4 Posts
that said about $30k total aint too bad with all the extra coverage added and it only went about 9k/yr so hopefully it wasnt beat up (but the coverage is not bumper to bumper right?)

pretty sure you have a magnifying glass on the car already though my 2 cents :
  • wipe the exhaust pipe with a high thread count white cloth ... how the soot looks may be telling and if theres any hint of oil or water film then better test the oil (like blackstone labs etc) and observe the coolant for any oil/water mixing etc
  • and what with the 5 year mark for that rear diff (a quick search will tell why!) may be a good idea to really "listen" to it while driving hard around corners
  • also any "noises" when bouncing the front and rear? should be zero noise otherwise its a rabbit hole for ball joints bushings shocks spring seats bla bla bla
  • the tire tread surfaces should be smooth velvet-like with no scuffing or funny uneven wear like roughed up suede
  • on FLAT ground do a quick right height check at all 4 wheels (e.g ground to arch top through the wheel centerline) should be less than 2~3mm variance if the ground is smooth and tires are even
  • on uncrowned roads the tracking and thrust angles should be good
  • how do the brake rotors look? any scoring or lips?
  • last but not least -- hopefully no leaks anywhere
I also have a '14 45, & I Love it. $3600 may sound like a lot (& it is),but I paid $1000 more w/ $200 deductible, for same coverage. I've also gone 2 my local credit union & they wanted 2 charge me over $9500!! We have what they consider an exotic car apparently. I'm also in the market 4 a new warranty, as mine is coming up due. If ANYONE knows of a reputable warranty company, pls help. My 2 cents....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also have a '14 45, & I Love it. $3600 may sound like a lot (& it is),but I paid $1000 more w/ $200 deductible, for same coverage. I've also gone 2 my local credit union & they wanted 2 charge me over $9500!! We have what they consider an exotic car apparently. I'm also in the market 4 a new warranty, as mine is coming up due. If ANYONE knows of a reputable warranty company, pls help. My 2 cents....
Yeah I got quoted anywhere from 4000-8000 for warranties, so even though 3600 seemed high, I feel like I got the best deal I could for this car. I picked the car up yesterday, and just ordered a bunch of interior trim pieces for it along with black out badges for the trunk. I got a gloss black center console, and gloss black CD panel trim along with a carbon fiber gear shift surround coming. That should make the interior look a little better. Coming out of my 17 Q60 Red Sport, this interior is trash by comparison. It'll feel a lot better once it's spruced up a bit. Next up I need to decide on a good set of 19" wheels. This car has almost every option available except for the 19" AMG wheels. It's got the ugly 18" silver wheels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts