Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First post here. I'm seriously considering purchasing a cla250 next month for myself. I'll be upgrading from my college car, a Hyundai Accent GS. My question is, if you don't get the pano roof, does the car still have a sunroof? I'm trying to keep the cars price as low as possible. I'm hoping to sell my car for 7k and putting 4k down. Basically, I want to get my payments less than $420 a month (5 years). My options I want are the sport package and the lighting kit. At this point its $33,675 MSRP fits at $417.59 at 3.97% interest. Which brings me to another question, do they offer 0% financing? If so, then I would get it without a doubt.

Thanks in advance! I'll probably have a bunch of other questions.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you don't get the pano roof, you will not have a sunroof. I don't think MB has 0% financing currently. Also, even if they do, it won't be on a brand new model.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hi All,

First post here. I'm seriously considering purchasing a cla250 next month for myself. I'll be upgrading from my college car, a Hyundai Accent GS. My question is, if you don't get the pano roof, does the car still have a sunroof? I'm trying to keep the cars price as low as possible. I'm hoping to sell my car for 7k and putting 4k down. Basically, I want to get my payments less than $420 a month (5 years). My options I want are the sport package and the lighting kit. At this point its $33,675 MSRP fits at $417.59 at 3.97% interest. Which brings me to another question, do they offer 0% financing? If so, then I would get it without a doubt.

With $4k down, the payment for 60 months would be over $600. With $7k for the Hyundai and $4k additional down totaling $11k, the monthly payment would be around $420 for 60 months.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi All,

Well if you wait just a few months and buy a used one with a couple thousand miles right off the bat you save 14% because car is used and then knock of a grand or two for mileage then put your 4K down and you should be close to the $420 to$450 range or even way less with a well equipped car . Outsider correct me if I am wrong

·
Registered
381 Posts
You might want to wait a few months until after the hoopla of its introduction passes. That's what I'm going to do. I might wait until Dec or Jan and then assess the situation and see how many CLA's are on the dealer lots. Not all the time, but often the months during its introduction will be the most you'll pay for the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since you are just not getting a solid answer, this is what I recommend you to do. Google cars calculator click n the one that says Auto Loan Calculator-Cars.com then you will be able to calculate the payments. And no im not advertising, its just a good tool to calculate.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Hi All,

First, welcome to the site!

Second, regarding the sunroof, if you don't order the Pano you don't get a sunroof. It's the only option if you want a sunroof/moonroof.

Third, MBFS doesn't currently seem to be offering 0% financing on the CLA. That doesn't mean they won't or that another bank might not offer better rates. Call your dealer and ask about financing. Check some of the auto loan sites for bank rates from BoA, Wells Fargo, Citibank, etc.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Well if you wait just a few months and buy a used one with a couple thousand miles right off the bat you save 14% because car is used and then knock of a grand or two for mileage then put your 4K down and you should be close to the $420 to$450 range or even way less with a well equipped car . Outsider correct me if I am wrong
May have to wait a bit longer as the CLA is going to be popular. First, few people are going to dump their car the first couple or three month as the loss approaches 30-40% on a wholesale level if sales tax and license loss is included.
Then, dealers may even ask for more money than MSRP on a low mileage used car since they can circumvent MBUSA's policy of not marking up new cars. That policy doesn't apply to used cars.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
First, welcome to the site!

Second, regarding the sunroof, if you don't order the Pano you don't get a sunroof. It's the only option if you want a sunroof/moonroof.

Third, MBFS doesn't currently seem to be offering 0% financing on the CLA. That doesn't mean they won't or that another bank might not offer better rates. Call your dealer and ask about financing. Check some of the auto loan sites for bank rates from BoA, Wells Fargo, Citibank, etc.

-Eric
All rates are negotiable. The better your credit is, the lower are the rates. My experience is that credit unions historically give the best rates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My credit union in Vermont is offering 2.44% for a 48 month new car loan, or 2.94 for 60 months. I then gave the loan officer a print-out from the Mercedes German web-site showing a combined fuel economy for the CLA250 of 37.9 mpg after converting the figures from liters/100 klm. Since there are no ratings for the CLA on fueleconomy.gov yet, he accepted the European figure and gave me a green car special loan rate of 1.95%. That made me very happy! Anyway, the moral to the story is... be sure to check the rates at your local credit unions; they usually have the best rates if the factory isn't offering any special deals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. My brother has a C300 that he bought in 2011 and hopefully I can get a customer appreciation thing I saw on these forums which saved about $1500. That being said, I'll probably be getting a 66 month loan (like my brother) to get the cost down under $400. So my build currently includes:

White exterior
Beige Tex
Pano Roof
18" rim upgrade
Lighting pack
Heated Seats
Navi

All together about 35k. I might do without the rims. I'm hoping to get 2.99%

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. My brother has a C300 that he bought in 2011 and hopefully I can get a customer appreciation thing I saw on these forums which saved about $1500. That being said, I'll probably be getting a 66 month loan (like my brother) to get the cost down under $400. So my build currently includes:

White exterior
Beige Tex
Pano Roof
18" rim upgrade
Lighting pack
Heated Seats
Navi

All together about 35k. I might do without the rims. I'm hoping to get 2.99%
Okay, so you're starting with a $35K car and in your original post you said you were going to put down $4K. That means you will need to finance $31K. Does that $31K also include tax, title and registration costs imposed in your state and by the dealer? If not, assuming you pay 5% (many states are much higher) for tax plus the other fees you're looking at another, let's say, $1,5-2K in costs. Just for conversation, let's assume the amount you need to finance is $31K + 2K = $33K.

A $33K loan payable over 66 months (which, by the way, is too long) at 2.99% interest equates to $542.86/mo. The only way you're going to get your payment under $400 is by putting down a lot more money or by extending the term of your loan (which is already too long at 66 mos). Think about it. After 5 years, your $35K CLA will probably be worth about $10K and you will still be paying $542.86 month for a $10K car...for another 6 months. 6 x $542.86 = $3,257.16 which means you will still owe 1/3 of the total value of your car. When it comes to loans, longer is not better and while 60 mos is only 6 mos less, it's about as far as you want to go on an auto loan. Just because a bank offers a longer loan doesn't mean you're wise to take it. You're young and the CLA will be around for a while. If you can't afford it then buy something else. Don't be car poor -- that's just foolish. You have your whole life to build your dream garage.

My $.02,
-Eric

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're right on the point if I was only putting down 4k, I'm also trading/selling my car which worth 7k. I don't drive much and your numbers for depreciated value rely much on mileage. I've had my car over 5 years now and only have 32k miles on it. I've been going through the numbers everyday trying to find the sweet spot. Of course, nothing is definitive. But god damn that car is hot.

·
Registered
896 Posts
i am completely against buying new cars

but for the amg, i truly think it will be a worthwhile purchase...

the first c63amg was 54.9k - on mercedes website right now, it is listed at 59k - if rumors are true and the new c class is bigger than the cla (the current c is smaller), then i predict the new c63 variant to cost about 61-62k base!

mercedes c63 price crept up 4k in nearly 5 years.

this has helped old c63's stay ~40k range for low(er) mileage ones

this means that these cars lost about $15k in value from base after 5 years.

add to the fact that the cla45amg will slowly creep up in price and the seemingly low supply (reports on here of approaching allocation levels), the cla45amg seems even better buy (in my eyes)

i predict these cla amg's will be over 40k used for 2-3 years wen u factor in everything

the 39-40k leveling of older c63's prices will fall to 35-36k and the cla amg could remain 38-40k after 4-5 years

i predict the cla amg will lose about 15k from average equipped price (~52k+) after 4-5 years

15k for 4-5years doesnt seem bad to me

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
You're right on the point if I was only putting down 4k, I'm also trading/selling my car which worth 7k. I don't drive much and your numbers for depreciated value rely much on mileage. I've had my car over 5 years now and only have 32k miles on it. I've been going through the numbers everyday trying to find the sweet spot. Of course, nothing is definitive. But god damn that car is hot.
Okay, so instead of financing $33K, in your mind you'd be financing $33K - $7K (trade in) = $26K. Even that comes out to a monthly payment of $427.71/mo on a 66 mo loan and after 5 years you still owe another $2,566.26...which is around 25% of the potential value of your CLA...assuming its actually worth $10K.

I don't know the year or mileage on your Hyundai Accent so I don't know whether $7K is a reasonable expectation or not. And, while I agree that mileage does impact value a 5yr old car is still a 5yr old car. Remember, we're talking about mass produced cars...not exotics or limited production (short term) collectible cars that will appreciate in value over the next few years. Like most cars, their value will drop like a brick the moment you drive it off of the lot. A low mileage car may be a selling point but it's not going to double the resale value of a car the market perceives to be a $10K car.

Case in point, my Volvo S60R original MSRP'd at around $42K back in 2005. Just for conversation, whether you agree that their numbers are reliable or not, Edmunds says:

With its its actual 53K total miles (which is pretty low for an 8 1/2 yr old car), it has a trade-in value of $8,5K.
If I had averaged 12K mi/yr over my 8 1/2 yrs of ownership, its trade-in value would have been $7,4K.
If I had averaged 15K mi/yr over my 8 1/2 yrs of ownership, its trade-in value would have been $6,3K.

Also, keep in mind that after 8 1/2 yrs, an average of 12-15K mi/yr takes a car over the 100K mi mark when the value of most cars' values drops even more steeply. Despite this, my limited use is going to net me...what...a grand or so at trade-in (if I'm lucky)? After 5 1/2 yrs (66 mos), even a car averaging 15K mi/yr would have only racked up about 82K miles -- which suggests (to me at least) that the disparity in value would be even less. I don't know what the KBB, Black Book or other values are on the car. While they may be different I don't expect the mileage to have a more significant impact on the car's value.

-Eric

·
Registered
4,108 Posts

I don't know the C63 market at all so I can't comment on your numbers but suffice it to say he's not talking about an AMG model and the CLA45 isn't a C63. :)

In fact, I wonder whether the CLA45 is viewed as a true AMG to purists. Do too many AMG purists believe the CLA has strayed too radically from what they believe to be a core value of the brand --- RWD and a big honking engine. I seem to recall reading about how AMG engineers used to tease about their cars using 4cyls to power the windshield wipers. Yes, it's a new world. Yes, the old timers and snobs will have to get used to downsizing and change. But, that doesn't usually bode well for values over the short term. The long term might be a different story but only time will tell. My only point in saying this is that just because a C63 held its value reasonably well has no real bearing on what will happen with AMG's new red-headed stepchild 4 banger.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

the first c63amg was 54.9k - on mercedes website right now, it is listed at 59k - if rumors are true and the new c class is bigger than the cla (the current c is smaller), then i predict the new c63 variant to cost about 61-62k base!

mercedes c63 price crept up 4k in nearly 5 years.

this has helped old c63's stay ~40k range for low(er) mileage ones

this means that these cars lost about $15k in value from base after 5 years.

add to the fact that the cla45amg will slowly creep up in price and the seemingly low supply (reports on here of approaching allocation levels), the cla45amg seems even better buy (in my eyes)

i predict these cla amg's will be over 40k used for 2-3 years wen u factor in everything

the 39-40k leveling of older c63's prices will fall to 35-36k and the cla amg could remain 38-40k after 4-5 years

i predict the cla amg will lose about 15k from average equipped price (~52k+) after 4-5 years

15k for 4-5years doesnt seem bad to me
The C63 held up well because it is has a bit of a nasty bad boy reputation and the recession of 2008-2010 ( the first three years of the C63 ) meant there were fewer new cars sold, hence available as used cars.
My partner's 2004 CLK55 AMG purchased for $82000 couldn't find any buyer last year on the secondary market for $9000. It is collecting dust in his driveway and he is willing to part with it now for $7000. It does have 100k miles but the car has been dealer serviced its entire life and has not had any damage. It does reflect how quickly even AMG can depreciate once the years and mileage piled up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The only AMG i am consider getting next year or 2016 is CLA 45 or the SL63

·
Registered
347 Posts
Lately BOA has been the most aggressive on loans. Credit score is not the only determinate factor for a low APR. It goes by debt to income, previous loan history, current outstanding loans (i.e. mortgage). Comp Credit is also a big consideration. The most any bank will finance is 125% of the value of the vehicle. There are many reasons why APR's vary.

·
Registered
347 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts