Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm about 5K miles from 60,000 miles on my '15 CLA250. I've taken this car to the dealer for every service as I'm under warranty and I've just not had any idea who to go to independently in my area (Central CT). I've since done alot of research and I'm strongly considering going independent as I just cannot believe it should take this type of spending to upkeep this car.

Here is what I was quoted by my local dealership today for upcoming services. (I asked about brakes as I know the clock is ticking, never had them touched after 55K miles, still going strong but they will need to be done sooner than later)

VEHICLE QUOTE ESTIMATION:

FRONT BRAKES: $1,012.00
REAR BRAKES: $779.81
60K SERVICE: $1,367.73

The 60K service seems WAY the hell out of line unless I'm getting a plane ticket to Florida along with the cost. I did 50K there and it was about half of what the 60K was.

Anyway....do those prices seem crazy, about right and should I be seeking someone else do work on this car going forward?

Thanks for your time, and feel free to comment as you wish. I'm likely an idiot for staying at the dealer as long as I have but for peace of mind and not having another option to this point its been the route I've taken.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You can have front disk for 100$ each (amg 45), so do the math for the pads.

I would not go there for that price... Find a good independent garage and go there.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
If we do not underestimate .....
Say brake parts about 500~600. 60k may include brake fluid and gearbox fluid changes in addition to engine oil and filter, perhaps air and cabin filters as well. So 150~200 supplies and parts. Lets give them time to do things right and not mess up so 3.5~4hrs so 648~740 labor. Tack on shop supplies and overhead so 100~150.
Thats about $1700.
Guess they are overestimating and adding in some profit

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have always went to the dealership but the costs are getting so out of hand for my CLA45 service that i'm finding a new mechanic. My quote for 80k service is $1800

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I've always taken my car to a dealership in a posh community for warranty work.

They have consistently either overestimated the work needed, or made matters worse.

I've always taken my car to a trusted independent for periodic service or repairs.

They have typically done a better job at a more reasonable price.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've always taken my car to a dealership in a posh community for warranty work.

They have consistently either overestimated the work needed, or made matters worse.

I've always taken my car to a trusted independent for periodic service or repairs.

They have typically done a better job at a more reasonable price.
Yeah I knew I was getting ripped off but I have had some terrible luck with independent shops in the past which is why I didn't care. I would still probably have my Evo X if it wasn't for the independent shops that ruined it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Why is anybody still surprised at the shameless profit taking of MB dealers?
Their (typical) target clientele has plenty of money, and tend not to be DIY owners.
Given that, convenience becomes the dominant concern, the dealers tend to be pretty good at that.
That is just the MB business model., at least here in the US.
I find their actual work a notch above the other (lower price) brand's dealer service,
but still not worth the extra.

It is strange to me how here in the US MB still has so high prestige, and how it become such a
"badge of success". (Not quite the same in Europe).
The quality and objective value for $$ in my mind is no longer there, perhaps never was.

I should not generalize here, but someone who has experience doing their own maintenance
would typically just laugh at the dealer.'s charges, they are absurd.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Absurd yes to us common folk
Though factor in profit salary permits utilities rent maintenance muni fees taxes parts supplies shipping royalties advertising etc ... then >$150/hr aint so out of bounds
Of course profit salary could be dialed back though permit costs are a piss off into oblivion utilities are arbitrarily higher just cuz it can be and they could dump coffee doughnuts free shuttles etc but then folks have no snack time wifi and conveniences
Business owner view is a little different i guess ... believe me i know

But just one good tech and a tough fix gone well makes the occasional visit worth it
Not to mention a coffee doughnut wifi test drives fix for a day

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I recently had my brake light come on. I took it to my brakes guy and he told me that the inner pad tends to get squeezed by the caliper and causes premature wear. He said its been a problem Mercedes has yet to address on the cla and c class. I know many of us have had to replace our pads at earlier then anticipated intervals. so maybe there is a bit of truth to this but im going to take it by on Saturday and see what he says with a good visual inspection.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Yeah despite fwd and my being gentle on the brakes and hardly use them the rear inner pad is ~90% of the outer ... though the caliper seems to slide properly and the wheels rotate freely
Funny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts