Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2020 (70 Plate) CLA 180 Shooting Brake Premium Plus
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I had my new CLA 180 Shooting brake last Wednesday and from day one there has been a metallic sounding rattle / click coming from somewhere behind and to the right of me (at first I just thought it sounded like small pieces of grit hitting the wheel arches). It sounds like possibly the seatbelt / B pillar area, but not certain. It’s driving me nuts! If on a perfectly flat road it seems to stop, but any sort of bump or lump at all and it happens, and under braking. I find myself turning up the music just to try and block it out. I have tried replicating it by rocking / bouncing the car when ignition is off and stationery, but can’t get it to do it, which makes me think could be something electronic, but not sure what it could possibly be?

I have it booked in with my local dealer to be looked at, but they can't look at it until mid-October.

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Had this on my driver side B pilar before. Dealer had to replace something in tue seatbelt mechanism. If you're on warranty, best have your dealership deal with it.

Now I have the same rattle on passenger side B pilar but kinda got used to it already.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Welcome :) to the CLA Forum Ollyhughes1982!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had this on my driver side B pilar before. Dealer had to replace something in tue seatbelt mechanism. If you're on warranty, best have your dealership deal with it.

Now I have the same rattle on passenger side B pilar but kinda got used to it already.

Thanks! It's so annoying, seems trivial, but is all I can now hear. You can't unhear it! I think I have already heard the passenger side doing it too, but I obviously can't notice as much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So frustrated. Already had to wait 5 months for the car and now have this issue and have to wait 5 weeks to get it looked at. Really wasn't expecting this from my first ever merc, brand new as well

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The CLA has had its share of quality control issues since its 2013 launch. I got my 2014 CLA in late 2013 and it visited the deapership 22 times in the first two years of ownership just for warranty repairs. Nothing major though.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I nitpicked everything and got my money's worth. Fortunately my service advisor really spoiled me.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Tip -
Make your service/warranty appointments based on free loaner availability.
Take your Service Advisor with you to demonstrate the issues - better than a video, but give him the video in addition, anyway.
Combine all known issues into your visit.
[ We agree that 5 weeks is too long! Any MB dealer will honor the warranty. ]
Before you return your Loaner, test drive to make sure that all the issues have been resolved. If not leave your CLA there.
What city are you near?

Reactions: Picard

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I know there is a tsb for the seatbealt rubbing on the side pillar. Maybe you can try that to see if they can replace the panel and fix the issue in one swing? IIRC

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine has a clicking rattle noise coming from the passenger dashboard. Scheduled an appointment next week to take apart the dashboard. Must be a PIA job.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Oh wow ... guess if / when i replace the b pillar trims the updated seat belt lip thingies i will plaster the inside with sticky weight sheets to quiet them down from tin can status

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tip -
Make your service/warranty appointments based on free loaner availability.
Take your Service Advisor with you to demonstrate the issues - better than a video, but give him the video in addition, anyway.
Combine all known issues into your visit.
[ We agree that 5 weeks is too long! Any MB dealer will honor the warranty. ]
Before you return your Loaner, test drive to make sure that all the issues have been resolved. If not leave your CLA there.
What city are you near?
UK, Cardiff

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Two videos of the issue here:

Hi. I had my new CLA 180 Shooting brake last Wednesday and from day one there has been a metallic sounding rattle / click coming from somewhere behind and to the right of me (at first I just thought it sounded like small pieces of grit hitting the wheel arches). It sounds like possibly the seatbelt / B pillar area, but not certain. It’s driving me nuts! If on a perfectly flat road it seems to stop, but any sort of bump or lump at all and it happens, and under braking. I find myself turning up the music just to try and block it out. I have tried replicating it by rocking / bouncing the car when ignition is off and stationery, but can’t get it to do it, which makes me think could be something electronic, but not sure what it could possibly be?

I have it booked in with my local dealer to be looked at, but they can't look at it until mid-October.

Any help appreciated!
Hi I have exactly the same issue same year car I can see you can’t get it in garage till mid October but was wondering if you have managed to get it in any earlier or have you sourced what it is?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Welcome to the CLA Forum @Gavin :)
@ollyhughes1982
will see this and respond when he can. Enjoy your membership.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi I have exactly the same issue same year car I can see you can’t get it in garage till mid October but was wondering if you have managed to get it in any earlier or have you sourced what it is?
Hi. No. Still haven't got it in. Waiting until the 18th still!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi. No. Still haven't got it in. Waiting until the 18th still!
Ok please let me know if they find what it is so I can tell my dealer. I’m gutted as brand new and don’t want them pulling it apart but it’s annoying so will have to sort it. It must be the screw hitting the metal of the b pillar what screws the seat belt in? Mine sounds exactly like yours so must be something these cars have from factory. Have you had any other issues/rattles?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts