Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2014 4Matic with Sports Package. I ordered slotted rotors for the rear online and this company sent me vented rotors that won’t fit (the OE rears are solid rotors). They are refusing to replace or refund me unless I pay to ship it back and also accept their 15% restocking fee. They said that it was my mistake for ordering vented rotors.

It’s probably going to cost me more money to ship it back to them than I’d care to spend, but I was wondering if any of the CLA 250s actually came with rear vented rotors? These would have to come with different caliper brackets.

·
Registered
896 Posts
What company did you order from?

·
Registered
896 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah they changed their mind after I told them that rather than spend time arguing over this and spending money to make it right for them, I would rather spend more time writing personal reviews online and all Mercedes forum for the next 6 months. They’re going to pick up the rotors and issue a full refund.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Great! That's a win for you Traxem.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Why do you need slotted rotors for rear? Most of the braking job is done in the front anyways. Slotted ones if not machined or tempered properly , can lead to more issues. If you want to buy slotted ones , make sure you buy from reputable brands, e.g. Zimmermann or Brembo. Generic brands can pose more problems than not. Had generic cross-drilled and slotted rotors in my 10 year old Acura RDX, and it wore out quite fast.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why do you need slotted rotors for rear? Most of the braking job is done in the front anyways. Slotted ones if not machined or tempered properly , can lead to more issues. If you want to buy slotted ones , make sure you buy from reputable brands, e.g. Zimmermann or Brembo. Generic brands can pose more problems than not. Had generic cross-drilled and slotted rotors in my 10 year old Acura RDX, and it wore out quite fast.
I actually bought Zimmerman front rotors and pads because I noticed my rear pads were worn. But when I checked the fronts, they still have lots of life left.

For whatever reason, my rear pads worn out. Caliper pins weren’t stuck so not sure why this happened. (Pics: rear old and new pads side by side).

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
For whatever reason, my rear pads worn out. Caliper pins weren’t stuck so not sure why this happened. (Pics: rear old and new pads side by side).
Good grief!! The e brake might have been stuck or not fully retracted
My inner rear pads are a tad thinner than the outer ones but no where gone like that
Definitely wanna check the e brake release state and see if there is ANY free wheel drag?

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Why do you need slotted rotors for rear?
My rears are wearing at the same relative rate as the fronts ... and if the brake dust patterns are any indication, mine are put to good use ... despite my avoidance of that darn brake pedal whenever possible
( so brake dust does have some merit )
The slots are good for scraping the pads clean then flinging that junk out (onto the rim!) so less chance of scoring
Kinda like a higher frequency version of the nascar racing cam clear view update

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good grief!! The e brake might have been stuck or not fully retracted
My inner rear pads are a tad thinner than the outer ones but no where gone like that
Definitely wanna check the e brake release state and see if there is ANY free wheel drag?
Do you think my rear differential issue had anything to do with this?

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Do you think my rear differential issue had anything to do with this?
Hmmm ... the rear diff imparts variant traction so if anything that would impact the tires
Still think something is causing partial pad contact
Lemme guess ... the rear rotors are full of circular score rings? Fingernail class.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm ... the rear diff imparts variant traction so if anything that would impact the tires
Still think something is causing partial pad contact
Lemme guess ... the rear rotors are full of circular score rings? Fingernail class.
No they are actually smooth except for a few knicks from my hammer when I was trying to remove them. I‘m waiting for new rear rotors from FCP Euro so just I put my old rotors back on for now.

Unless my rear pads are obliterated again, I don’t know if I’ll ever find out. I had to electronically retract the parking brake piston so if the parking brakes were struck, this might have freed it.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
well then somehow something got stuck but then there would be overheating marks etc
or you drove backwards a lot
fcp is a good choice for this ... you can replace till you are blue in the face

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey so I ordered two brake wear sensors because they are cheap and everything online tells me that there is one in the front and one in the back. I saw the one on the front right wheel, but I didn’t see any on either of the back wheels. It’s a 2014 with Sports Pkg. Did you guys have a rear brake pad sensor?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
there is no rear sensor IIRC. Only fronts have a wear sensor.

Reactions: traxem
1 - 20 of 21 Posts