Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What were your other choices, and why/what made you decide on the CLA?

Thank you!

·
Registered
257 Posts

Thank you!
I'm currently driving a TSX (which I HATE.) I had an Accord and TL before this. As you can see, I've been a loyal Honda customer for sometime, and was planning to get a RDX next, but my dealer wasn't being helpful with ending my lease early or getting me the same price they got my sister (whom I referred to them.) That gave me some time to look around. I went to MBUSA.com first and was sold. I went to the dealer that Saturday and sealed the deal. This car is less expensive than the TSX and RDX and looks soooo much better. Also, Acura pretends to be a luxury brand, but really aren't. MB was so pliable to my needs that it made it a no brainer. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I was looking at a small car like a Mini Cooper Countryman or Miata, but my 16 year old daughter suggested the CLA, as it is way cooler and not much more expensive.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I considered a BMW 3 series, decided against it, and was about ready to order a Lexus IS, but then decided to get the CLA after I saw it at a MB dealership. I looked it over, took it for a test drive and was sold on it. My CLA has been just fantastic and I am glad I made the choice.

It I were in the market today I would have considered the Audi A3 as well, but I think I would have still have gone for the CLA.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Came from a 3 series convertible wanted the 4 series convertible but only the coupes were here at that time, no convertibles yet.
So we went to check out the E class cabrio but fell in love with the CLA, was a tough choice between those 2 but decided to go with the CLA for a change. Reason being that the CLA still has a coupe design but with 4 doors which makes it more accessible, so we get the best of both worlds and not forgetting the sexiness index of this car is way beyond the charts. Got the car for 4months now, and I still catch myself standing there sometimes just admiring the car. Only thing I didn't like is the ride quality, but gonna swap out the RFTs for conventional tyres once they go bald.
If I could do this again, I miiiiiiiight not go with the CLA not that I have anything against it. Love the car, but just that there may be better options out there for the price that we're paying.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I had a new Accord 2013 with little miles. I absolutely hated the transmission and the back of the car. Saw the CLA and loved the design. Never considered any other car. Rest is history.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Came from a 3 series convertible wanted the 4 series convertible but only the coupes were here at that time, no convertibles yet.
So we went to check out the E class cabrio but fell in love with the CLA, was a tough choice between those 2 but decided to go with the CLA for a change. Reason being that the CLA still has a coupe design but with 4 doors which makes it more accessible, so we get the best of both worlds and not forgetting the sexiness index of this car is way beyond the charts. Got the car for 4months now, and I still catch myself standing there sometimes just admiring the car. Only thing I didn't like is the ride quality, but gonna swap out the RFTs for conventional tyres once they go bald.
If I could do this again, I miiiiiiiight not go with the CLA not that I have anything against it. Love the car, but just that there may be better options out there for the price that we're paying.
What do you consider a better option at this price point? Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
What do you consider a better option at this price point? Thanks
First I have to say the market here may be different from yours, so the options that I may be considering may be different from yours as some of the variants may not be available in your market. They may also be priced differently.
But my guess is that manufacturers probably have a range that they have set, but I've seen cars of particular models having their price jacked up in different markets.
Then also depending on your taste and the things you are looking for, we may have different opinions.
So back to your question, what other better options are there?
My car with its options would cost around 180K USD. ( I'm not from the states, but from your location I assume you are. So I converted all prices to USD for easier comparison )
A Renault Megane RS here would cost 158k
An Audi S3 sedan would cost 199k or a used RS3 sportback registered in August 2013 would cost 195k
A Jaguar XF 2.0 (240bhp, 340nm) also costs 180K here, the price of my CLA. the XF 2.2D (194bhp, 450nm) for about the same price as well.
Then there's also the 3 series Gran Turismo from 167k- 185k.
This is one that most of us probably won't like, but I find it not too bad the Volvo S60 T5 155k.
Many of these cars that I've mentioned are actually cheaper than the CLA, and are either faster or have better ride quality/comfort.
Like I said it really depends on what you're looking for in a car, for me the Megane RS is cheaper which is already a plus point, it's a sporty drive, look wise it's also one of those hot hatches and it does sound pretty good too, but I've already had 2 previous cars that were 2 door so I thought I might go for something different.
The XFs would have better ride quality compared to the CLA not to mention more hp and torque, then again they are paper values so it may or may not work out to be better. But the model has been out there for 7 years so the next gen XF should be just around the corner. If you don't really mind that then the XF can be a contender too.
Next up the S3 sedan, I've spec-ed it to have almost similar options to my CLA and thats the price there 199k. Nothing much to say about this car, have not test driven it yet but bottomline we can tell it's gonna be faster than the CLA250 right? and it doesn't look too bad. So if you've got a bit more cash to spare, that's one I would consider too in fact its in the price range of the E class cab I was looking at before getting the CLA.
And I'm actually a bit lazy to carry on lol, you can carry on the comparisons to justify which car is a better buy yourself haha.
But these are some of the other cars I would consider if I could do this all over again. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I was looking at used CLS, and realized I could get the 3/4 version new for about the same price.
Better suited to my needs anyway.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
First I have to say the market here may be different from yours, so the options that I may be considering may be different from yours as some of the variants may not be available in your market. They may also be priced differently.
But my guess is that manufacturers probably have a range that they have set, but I've seen cars of particular models having their price jacked up in different markets.
Then also depending on your taste and the things you are looking for, we may have different opinions.
So back to your question, what other better options are there?
My car with its options would cost around 180K USD. ( I'm not from the states, but from your location I assume you are. So I converted all prices to USD for easier comparison )
A Renault Megane RS here would cost 158k
An Audi S3 sedan would cost 199k or a used RS3 sportback registered in August 2013 would cost 195k
A Jaguar XF 2.0 (240bhp, 340nm) also costs 180K here, the price of my CLA. the XF 2.2D (194bhp, 450nm) for about the same price as well.
Then there's also the 3 series Gran Turismo from 167k- 185k.
This is one that most of us probably won't like, but I find it not too bad the Volvo S60 T5 155k.
Many of these cars that I've mentioned are actually cheaper than the CLA, and are either faster or have better ride quality/comfort.
Like I said it really depends on what you're looking for in a car, for me the Megane RS is cheaper which is already a plus point, it's a sporty drive, look wise it's also one of those hot hatches and it does sound pretty good too, but I've already had 2 previous cars that were 2 door so I thought I might go for something different.
The XFs would have better ride quality compared to the CLA not to mention more hp and torque, then again they are paper values so it may or may not work out to be better. But the model has been out there for 7 years so the next gen XF should be just around the corner. If you don't really mind that then the XF can be a contender too.
Next up the S3 sedan, I've spec-ed it to have almost similar options to my CLA and thats the price there 199k. Nothing much to say about this car, have not test driven it yet but bottomline we can tell it's gonna be faster than the CLA250 right? and it doesn't look too bad. So if you've got a bit more cash to spare, that's one I would consider too in fact its in the price range of the E class cab I was looking at before getting the CLA.
And I'm actually a bit lazy to carry on lol, you can carry on the comparisons to justify which car is a better buy yourself haha.
But these are some of the other cars I would consider if I could do this all over again. Cheers.
Thanks for the response. I assume we're not talking US dollars here. The CLA starts at $30,000. $180,000 will get you a Lamborghini. Where are you anyway? I'm the San Francisco Bay Area. The CLA will be fast enough for me. I don't want to spend more than this price range. Will a Renault or a Jaguar hold up in the long run? When I was a kid, my dad bought a four door Jaguar which didn't last very long, admittedly a long time ago. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Jags were always beautiful but fussy machines. Then Ford bought 'em, and the one benefit of that already-defunct relationship appears to be greater reliability.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the response. I assume we're not talking US dollars here. The CLA starts at $30,000. $180,000 will get you a Lamborghini. Where are you anyway? I'm the San Francisco Bay Area. The CLA will be fast enough for me. I don't want to spend more than this price range. Will a Renault or a Jaguar hold up in the long run? When I was a kid, my dad bought a four door Jaguar which didn't last very long, admittedly a long time ago. Thanks again.
No worries =), but unfortunately it is in US dollars, the government here impose high taxes on cars. I'm from Singapore by the way, and a 2013 used Lamborghini Aventador here would cost 1.15m USD :popped out:, and that is why we can't have nice things. Well for Renault I can't say, French cars have a pretty bad reputation for reliability over here not sure how it is in US, but my neighbour has been driving one and I don't see it going into the workshop more often than any other cars. Guess buying a French car is like a game of Russian roulette? Or they may just have improved their quality over the years?
As for Jag they're pretty decent these days, my dad has 2 Jags a XJ6 SE (X350) 2004 model, and a XJ L (X351) 2010 model. Both are first year models, and surprisingly they both fare quite well for first year models not nearly as many problems as the CLA in fact no problems at all. Maybe we're just lucky? Except for wear and tear, the XJ6 from 2004 only started showing problems around its 7th or 8th year with its air suspension and gearbox. And it is the 4th year into owning the XJ L now and no issues with the car at all, if that same reliability from the XJ also applies to the XF then I think there should be no problem holding up in the long run. I think a quick check on the forums for XF might help if you're interested. :big smile:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
No worries =), but unfortunately it is in US dollars, the government here impose high taxes on cars. I'm from Singapore by the way, and a 2013 used Lamborghini Aventador here would cost 1.15m USD :popped out:, and that is why we can't have nice things. Well for Renault I can't say, French cars have a pretty bad reputation for reliability over here not sure how it is in US, but my neighbour has been driving one and I don't see it going into the workshop more often than any other cars. Guess buying a French car is like a game of Russian roulette? Or they may just have improved their quality over the years?
As for Jag they're pretty decent these days, my dad has 2 Jags a XJ6 SE (X350) 2004 model, and a XJ L (X351) 2010 model. Both are first year models, and surprisingly they both fare quite well for first year models not nearly as many problems as the CLA in fact no problems at all. Maybe we're just lucky? Except for wear and tear, the XJ6 from 2004 only started showing problems around its 7th or 8th year with its air suspension and gearbox. And it is the 4th year into owning the XJ L now and no issues with the car at all, if that same reliability from the XJ also applies to the XF then I think there should be no problem holding up in the long run. I think a quick check on the forums for XF might help if you're interested. :big smile:
More than I want to spend. Thanks. Plus, it is only V6 or V8. I want a 4. Man, they sock it to you guys on the taxes! Bummer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jags were always beautiful but fussy machines. Then Ford bought 'em, and the one benefit of that relationship appears to be greater reliability.
They're no longer with Ford though, both Land Rover and Jaguar are owned by Tata now. Surprisingly they got even better after Tata took over, I think its the amount that they were willing to put into R&D. Whereas Ford wanted a more affordable version of the Jag and created the X-type based on the Mondeo.

·
Registered
76 Posts
More than I want to spend. Thanks. Plus, it is only V6 or V8. I want a 4. Man, they sock it to you guys on the taxes! Bummer.
Oh ok then, sorry have no idea how the XFs are priced in the US. I'm just basing it off how they're priced here. Here they have the entry XF 2.0 (petrol) and 2.2 (diesel) both are turbocharged 4 cylinders as well, just like how it is for the CLA 250 and 220. Maybe these variants are not available in the US market? Yea man those taxes =(

·
Registered
160 Posts
my 2003 toyota corolla i had used for so long had finally called it quits, so it was time to get a car, it was winter, had gotten a new job earlier in the year and graduated a year ago, figured it was time to get something nice.

was looking at under 25k but that soon became under 30kish, having considered everything from a Camry to an Altima to even Infiniti and other cars like Miata/BRZ or even the 2 series, 320i, I finally decided on CLA after I test drove one. My original plan was to buy black cla for 35k and this was already pushing it but i just fell in love with the white cla that had the bi xenons and other stuff, its cute, luxurious, sporty, practical and with decent gas mileage, makes a great commuter car!

·
Registered
451 Posts

Thank you!
I looked at the 2014 Mustang and Camaro but they didn't seat 5.
Then I looked at the Charger and Challenger but they were too big gas guzzlers.
Went to purchase the Honda Accord and ended up with a price tag of 30,000.

Always liked the CLA but the high cost of maintenance wasn't too attractive for a commuter car. I bit the bullet and purchased warranty coverage to last 5 years and haven't regretted it once.
A smile of satisfaction covers my face every time I zoom past one of my 'considerables' and their eyes follow the CLA.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
First read about it in a magazine... I don't even think the article had pictures but the description on the car hit all the right notes for me. Then I looked online for a pic... after I saw it...

acb.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
:geek:(y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts