Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted the red accents on my vents but the price to replace the actual OEM vents is astronomical...(over 400 bucks!), so I found this solution on ebay and thought I would share.
5X Red Air Vent Outlet Ring Cover for Mercedes Benz CLA C117 W117 2014 2015 | eBay

I installed them today and took picture of what they look like and with them on and off. be careful when installing them as they are made of a very thin aluminum material and bend easy.. Just use an alcohol wipe pad before installation and center and press. They came out awesome and all for under 30 bucks.

20160113_092753_resized.jpg 20160113_092039_resized.jpg 20160113_092033_resized.jpg 20160113_092019_resized.jpg 20160113_092011_resized.jpg 20160113_092730_resized.jpg

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm debating on buying those too or not.. I saw a set on Alibaba, along with red circle around the key housing etc... Good to know they would end up looking good,

I'm also admiring the Special Edition AMG tag on your dash, you have a CLA250 and not an Edition 1 as far as I can see, how did you get that tag?? : )

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm debating on buying those too or not.. I saw a set on Alibaba, along with red circle around the key housing etc... Good to know they would end up looking good,

I'm also admiring the Special Edition AMG tag on your dash, you have a CLA250 and not an Edition 1 as far as I can see, how did you get that tag?? : )
Its a CLA 250 and I modded it to an Edition 1 look. Got the sticker on Ebay for about 5 bucks when I first got the car.. I checked by buying history and its there but the link is down.. try searching AMG logo special edition and see what you get..

·
Registered
566 Posts
Its a CLA 250 and I modded it to an Edition 1 look. Got the sticker on Ebay for about 5 bucks when I first got the car.. I checked by buying history and its there but the link is down.. try searching AMG logo special edition and see what you get..
thanks so much, will do

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
In real they look more pink-red..
I got these and they're definitely pink-red. definitely need more POP... I haven't put them on yet I will find a candy apple red paint to put on these before they go in the car...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I got these and they're definitely pink-red. definitely need more POP... I haven't put them on yet I will find a candy apple red paint to put on these before they go in the car...
I would like to repaint, but I have not found the right color again. Also, I do not have 2 side tape small enought...

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
You should really try painting them yourself. It's easy and doesn't require any real skill (other than patience).

FOTFAC0.JPG

-Eric

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
If I do this I will yank them out one by one and dismantle so I can properly paint the featured ring instead ... and probably NOT red ��
I've got the red stitching in my car so the red works for me (plus, I like it) but, that's exactly what I did. You can isolate the actual black ring separate from the surround and inner guts. It is fully separable from the unit.

Yeah that's definitely the plan. I just need to get around to getting the paint...
Nothing a trip to your local hardware store can't cure. :) I used a Krylon or similar paint from Home Depot made for adhesion to plastic parts. The only thing I'll say is that it required a few more coats than I anticipated initially in order to get the shine I wanted.

It looks OE when done. I've had people compliment the red accents in my car. When I tell them that I painted the vents they usually think I'm kidding.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 93 Posts