Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I plan to tint my rear lights but to do it properly (and in an easy way ?) , I would like to remove these lights. Do you know how we can remove them ?

In the trunk, when I remove the cache, I can see 2 bolts, Are there any bolts else or are the lights only installed with these 2 bolts ? Hope that I won't have to remove all the black fabric trunk to remove the lights :neutral:

Thank you for your replies !

·
Registered
124 Posts
Spatio, be sure to share photos when you get this done. Yet another mod I'd like to do as well.

Are you planning on doing this yourself? What material will you be using?

I got it priced when I did my tints, it was $100+.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
This was posted by Coder on another thread. Should help get you started.

Driver side tail light assembly replacement.

Thanks for the tool and plastic rivet info.

So for a cracked tail light assembly: Getting a boneyard part in good condition proved to be a viable solution,
if the light assembly is damaged but there is no other body damage.

It proved to be a triivial DIY job to do.

The bodywork tool is indeed useless to remove the Benz fasteners. Trying to remove these intact is hopeless, so you may as well resign yourself to
rip these out any old how you can.

The split head of these is flimsy, just folds, and has zero strength. I ended up having to rip the fastener out with a pair of pliers and destroyed it in the process. The replacement plastic rivets are 8mm, just about any will do.

I was able to pry the trunk lining out from under the plastic trim band and pull it away enough to give myself an inch or two of clearance, just enough room to get my hand under the lining, to get at the 3 nuts holding the tail light assembly in place.

These are 8mm nuts, be careful, they may be reverse threaded. Also, be super careful not to drop the nuts, probably next to impossible
to dig them out, and hard to obtain a replacement. Your best bet is to loosen them with am 8mm spanner, and then remove them using your fingers.
The whole thing is easier to work on if you first remove the wire harness and the snap-in bulb carrier.

The whole tail light replacement took, like 15 minutes

Here is the link to the thread in case more on this is posted. This post is at the end if the thread. Ignore the thread title as it has nothing to do with this post

http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/5-cla-general-discussion/17282-car-accident-problems-i-want-know-couple-things-5.html

Reactions: bmc333

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I would like to tint my rear lights myself because if they are removable, I think it's quite easy to apply a film with the heat gun ?? I may try it this week en, I will take pictures if so.

Concerning the way to remove them, I'm quite good with the removing of the fasteners because I buy on ebay a specific tool to remove them when I have to do it for the license plate leds change. And it goes off easy.
What I worry is that I never remove anything of the lower part of the trunk, only the upper side with the leds but I will try it :icon_thumleft:

The tools I mentionned , something like this : 4 pc Auto Door Clip Trim & Car Radio Removal Tool Kit Install & Remove Fasteners | eBay
$_57.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi ,

I come back to show you what I did to manage to remove the lights. Finally, it's very easy !

1/ First step, remove the velor cache to access to the tail lights : you can see 2 bolds which ca be remove the number 2 and 3 on the pictures.
phare2.jpg

2/ Remove a little the trunk liner from the top, you don't have to force because that part is only maintained with the rubber seal. A little hole to access the last bold is needed. You don't have to remove the fasteners I mentionned in the last replies too.
phare1.jpg

3/ Put the tail light off and do anything you want with it : I try a dark tint because of the light color of my car, but I don't mange to do it very well , I will retry later because the remove is quite easy :razz:
phare3.jpg

In resume, you just have 3 bolds to remove, 2 by the velor cache and the last one from the top of the trunk by opening the gap between the rubber seal and the trunk liner, no fasteners to remove !

Hope it will help you :icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, may I ask if someone knows is it possible to change my rear lights?I do have the normal ones and i really like the ones with LED...To be specific i do own a 2018 cla 250 4 matic...I did attached the pictures....what I have and what I kinda want...is that possible?!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Oh? You want to go from the facelifts back to the butterflies? ( opposite from most )
Well usually its the other way and there are harness kits as the connectors are different so perhaps you can reverse engineer the wiring using some old ones from ebay first
Either way you will need different connectors

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea well i think the butterflyes look way nicer...I dont know I have to think really well but I.ll consider an option for future :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh? You want to go from the facelifts back to the butterflies? ( opposite from most )
Well usually its the other way and there are harness kits as the connectors are different so perhaps you can reverse engineer the wiring using some old ones from ebay first
Either way you will need different connectors
What about going from the thin red line to the butterfly lights? Do you need a harness kit too? It's a 2016.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
What about going from the thin red line to the butterfly lights? Do you need a harness kit too? It's a 2016.
Oh thats the bulbs2led can of conversion worms
They do have entire lamp+harness+software kits now aftermarket ... some members did that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts