Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a45 amg dyno'd by RENNTECH to 340whp - this would equate to 390HP for sales purposes!

the cla45 has the same exact specs , weighs just about 18 pounds more than the a45!

this is good, and bad tho as it means tuning is even more limited...which i dont plan on doing

Renntech dyno'd the A45 AMG at 340.6 to all four wheels. This is on a all wheel drive SuperFlow dyno which corrected the wheel readout to 389.5 crank horsepower or let's just call it an even 390.
BenzBoost - The M133 (A45,CLA45,GLA45) AMG motor is underrated - First dyno of an A45 AMG shows 340 horsepower to all four wheels

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Hp means tuning is limited? The 26lbs of boost didn't tell you that? That's serious pressure. It's almost double the boost of a number of turbocharged performance cars when they leave the factory. I have no doubt the internals are built up sufficiently to take it but I can't imagine there being much room for a stage 1 before needing a hardware upgrade. Maybe I'm wrong.

-Eric

·
Registered
327 Posts
I did read the pistons and crankshaft were forged however the rods I did not find any information of those being forged, it could be the weak point.

I am really excited for this car now! lol. Just sweetens the deal.

Some of my friends have modded Mitsubishi evo x's and they run about 28psi on that motor (stock is about 22psi) and they can push an extra 50whp with bolt ons and tune. Lets hope the M133 engine shows good potential! :smile:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I do see why some would consider boosting this car a bid.
As I have mentioned somewhere else, the CLA45 is disappointing slow to the quarter mile (13.3 seconds) and to 100 ( 12 seconds ) based on Car & Driver's first drive numbers.
The Caymen S with 30 less hp cleared the quarter mile in 12.6 and 100 mph in 10 flat and 0.7 and 2.0 second is an eternity respectively at these speeds.
The boxster S with 40 less hp did it in 12.6 and 10.3 seconds.
BMW 335i with 55 less hp did it in 13.3 and 11.8
Cadillac ATS 3.6 with 34 less hp did it in 14.2 and 13.8
Lexus IS350 with 49 less hp did it in 14.0 and 13.5.
Of course, I need to wait for the US official test numbers to pass judgement.
The number tells me the CLA45 is geared for quick low end speed but appears to run out of steam nearer the top.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wonder how much the CLA 250's motor will dyno at? Has there been any dynos of the A250 in Europe?? To this date i have never seen one....

·
Registered
312 Posts
a45 amg dyno'd by RENNTECH to 340whp - this would equate to 390HP for sales purposes!

the cla45 has the same exact specs , weighs just about 18 pounds more than the a45!

this is good, and bad tho as it means tuning is even more limited...which i dont plan on doing

BenzBoost - The M133 (A45,CLA45,GLA45) AMG motor is underrated - First dyno of an A45 AMG shows 340 horsepower to all four wheels
AWD vehicles normally have 20-25% drivetrain loss when comparing wheel hp to crank/engine hp. I know this from tuning my old WRX. This tells me the crank (what the industry advertises to the public) would be at least 408 hp, given 340 awhp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To answer / correct a few things:

- The connecting rods on the M133 are enlarged in shaft diameter.
- The 340whp will NOT sum up to 408hp at the crank.

Our SuperFlow dyno is calibrated by the TUV and capable of measuring losses quite exactly.
The numbers given were DIN corrected, even EWG corrected sum up to 374 with much higher IATs (that were not that high on the road).

We are already working on a tuning solution for these engines :furious:

Cheers from RENNtech Germany
Luke

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, usually I'm not active here but I'll try to remember... I just came across this thread by coincidence.
It will be surely october until we can tell something new...

Cheers from RENNtech Germany
Luke

·
Registered
312 Posts

Why do manufacturers underrate hp figures? Audi 's S4 is rated at 333 bhp, but without even dynoing it, C&D guesstimates it at almost 400, given its 4.4 0-60 time....just one example

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Why do manufacturers underrate hp figures? Audi 's S4 is rated at 333 bhp, but without even dynoing it, C&D guesstimates it at almost 400, given its 4.4 0-60 time....just one example
Because they don't want to be sued...which has happened to other manufacturers in the past.

And, since when does the S4 do 0-60 in 4 sec? It's closer to 5-5.5 stock.

-Eric

·
Registered
312 Posts
Because they don't want to be sued...which has happened to other manufacturers in the past.

And, since when does the S4 do 0-60 in 4 sec? It's closer to 5-5.5 stock.

-Eric
September 2013 Motor trend. S4 0-60 in 4.4s with the 7-speed twin-clutch

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
My car is 7 spd DSG, and yes it is underrated. The car weighs 4000 lbs but is seriously fast and agile. My car has the APR STG2 tune which includes the smaller pulley and its a night and day difference from stock. I absolutely love this car, my lease is up in May'14 and the next model S4 hasn't been announced so I thought I would get into this AMG and when the B9S4 comes out I should be on the near end of the CLA45. My hope is that this car blows me away like my S4 does. I look forward everyday to driving my S4.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I personally don't think the S4 is that underrated at all really. I mean it weighs close to 4000lbs, has "333hp" but has a slick dual clutch and AWD. The 4.4 0-60 is purely due to LOTS of grip and decent torque. Its only trapping 105mph in the 1/4mile, which seems right considering the power/weight and the fact it has a dual clutch. Think about it, stock STi weights approx. 500lbs less, but has 35 less horsepower, traps at 100mph. 33hp and a dual clutch nets you another 5mph. If it truly had 400 like Lieberman likes to suggest, the thing would be trapping close to 110 stock... Just saying I don't think its as underrated as people think, it might be making 350-360hp MAYBE, but nowhere near 400.

When it comes to the 45, I would like to see it a on a good old Mustang dyno, they seem to be the only ones that give a really accurate representation of what a car is making at the wheels. A45 video on youtube shows it going 0-200km/h in approx. 18 seconds, Car and Driver listed the 0-130mph time in just 19.2 seconds, which is actually faster than a Mustang 5.0!!! Definitely proves the engine is underated, considering the CLA45 that C&D tested weighed actually 20lbs MORE than the mustang.. And supposedly makes 54 less HP!

As to the engines reliability, the pistons and crankshaft are forged, as someone else said the rods aren't mentioned and could be a weak point. Considering the given information, upgraded rods and rod/main bearings, and this engine should be good for over 500 at the wheels. I've been in the Subaru tuning scene for years, and with a 'built motor' consisting of just pistons, rods, bearings and head studs, those motors are good for over 500 easy with a large turbo and supporting mods. You guys are right, the engine probably can't take a whole lot more of boost without needing to be sleeved. The thing is, if people wanna make serious power, they are gonna need to upgrade to a larger turbo, run LESS boost than stock even to make a lot more power, but then turbo lag will be added into the equation, as it's impossible to retain the stock powerband. People are gonna have to decide whether they want a more usable daily powerband, or a lot more power, but a lot more lag with it!

EDIT:

Here is the stated video, car seems to pull much harder in gear during the second attempt, assuming the car wasn't fully up to temp in the first attempt. Enjoy :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
I personally don't think the S4 is that underrated at all really. I mean it weighs close to 4000lbs, has "333hp" but has a slick dual clutch and AWD. The 4.4 0-60 is purely due to LOTS of grip and decent torque. Its only trapping 105mph in the 1/4mile, which seems right considering the power/weight and the fact it has a dual clutch. Think about it, stock STi weights approx. 500lbs less, but has 35 less horsepower, traps at 100mph. 33hp and a dual clutch nets you another 5mph. If it truly had 400 like Lieberman likes to suggest, the thing would be trapping close to 110 stock... Just saying I don't think its as underrated as people think, it might be making 350-360hp MAYBE, but nowhere near 400.

When it comes to the 45, I would like to see it a on a good old Mustang dyno, they seem to be the only ones that give a really accurate representation of what a car is making at the wheels. A45 video on youtube shows it going 0-200km/h in approx. 18 seconds, Car and Driver listed the 0-130mph time in just 19.2 seconds, which is actually faster than a Mustang 5.0!!! Definitely proves the engine is underated, considering the CLA45 that C&D tested weighed actually 20lbs MORE than the mustang.. And supposedly makes 54 less HP!

As to the engines reliability, the pistons and crankshaft are forged, as someone else said the rods aren't mentioned and could be a weak point. Considering the given information, upgraded rods and rod/main bearings, and this engine should be good for over 500 at the wheels. I've been in the Subaru tuning scene for years, and with a 'built motor' consisting of just pistons, rods, bearings and head studs, those motors are good for over 500 easy with a large turbo and supporting mods. You guys are right, the engine probably can't take a whole lot more of boost without needing to be sleeved. The thing is, if people wanna make serious power, they are gonna need to upgrade to a larger turbo, run LESS boost than stock even to make a lot more power, but then turbo lag will be added into the equation, as it's impossible to retain the stock powerband. People are gonna have to decide whether they want a more usable daily powerband, or a lot more power, but a lot more lag with it!

EDIT:

Here is the stated video, car seems to pull much harder in gear during the second attempt, assuming the car wasn't fully up to temp in the first attempt. Enjoy :D

Agreed!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts