Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my spare key (again). I called two Seattle MB dealers and they quoted me $417 to replace it. I called a Portland dealer and they wanted $305.

Is the dealer the only place to get keys?? And why the $100 price difference?

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
The dealerships are individually owned, so they can charge what they want. Go with the best deal. I believe the dealerships are the only ones who can do it.
Call locksmiths and see though.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I lost my spare key (again). I called two Seattle MB dealers and they quoted me $417 to replace it. I called a Portland dealer and they wanted $305.

Is the dealer the only place to get keys?? …..
………
Traxem,
Rapid is always right, but you can try a quick phone call to "Keyless Entry Remote" at (402) 671-5100.
Replacement MB keys is like their main business... I think it depends on your VIN.
Come back here and let us know what happens, you are the first lost key case we have seen.
:mblogoblack:

·
Registered
53 Posts
How about ebay for a used one? I see fobs with guarantees for around $150. Pay attention to buy the correct fob for your model year.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its the programming ... cost stems from the hardware / tools and server time
$300 aint too bad?
Since 2014 isn’t Keyless Go, there’s no programming on the car side. You literally order it with your VIN and pick it up two-three days later all ready to go (with the physical key also pre-laser cut). I’ve done this once before... and hoping to avoid the dealership again but it looks like that’s not possible.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Since 2014 isn’t Keyless Go, there’s no programming on the car side. You literally order it with your VIN and pick it up two-three days later all ready to go (with the physical key also pre-laser cut). I’ve done this once before... and hoping to avoid the dealership again but it looks like that’s not possible.
Good point ... though even for 2014 the eis has to listen to the fob so a virgin unit will need some coding/programming to match it to the existing system so yeah its all fob side work
Reminds me of GoneIn60Seconds ... makes one want to uncode the eis and start from scratch so bad actors cant drive off the car!

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
………
Traxem,
Rapid is always right, but you can try a quick phone call to "Keyless Entry Remote" at (402) 671-5100.
Replacement MB keys is like their main business... I think it depends on your VIN.
Come back here and let us know what happens, you are the first lost key case we have seen.
I'm mostly right when it comes to bass. When it comes to cars, jmc is The Man!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
………
Traxem,
I called them today... no bueno. I guess dealership here I go.

A friend of mine is an attorney representing a guy who had his Mercedes stolen. It’s been 9 months and the insurance company is refusing to pay out. Instead, they are investigating him for possible insurance fraud because they don’t believe that his Mercedes could have been stolen without a key.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I called them today... no bueno. I guess dealership here I go.

A friend of mine is an attorney representing a guy who had his Mercedes stolen. It’s been 9 months and the insurance company is refusing to pay out. Instead, they are investigating him for possible insurance fraud because they don’t believe that his Mercedes could have been stolen without a key.
Must be goons working at insurance company

1 - 13 of 13 Posts