Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my car is in for its annual service and I just got a call from my tech advising me that my front pads are low ("right above the sensor") and the front rotors are looking thin, so they recommended that I change them out. The price?

$1,677

...for the front pads and rotors alone.

Despite owning the car for 7 years (picked it up Dec '13) and even taking it to a number of "wintercross" events over the years, I've never had to change the rotors and pads. The odometer hasn't even hit 25k miles. All things considered, needing new front pads/rotors at this point doesn't really bother me. The price, however, was a little bit of a shocker...not like a total surprise but, still, seems high. And, yes, I get the idea of an "AMG tax."

MBUSA itself shows the retail price of a front rotor as $189.99 (176-421-02-12 - Rotor 2014-2020 Mercedes-Benz | Mercedes-Benz USA Parts) and a set of front pads as $230.99 (008-420-32-20 - Brake Pads 2014-2020 Mercedes-Benz | Mercedes-Benz USA Parts). So, for argument sake, that's $610.97 for parts...$1,000 in labor? Is it really a 6-ish hour job for techs who, presumably, do this all of the time to swap out the front pads/rotors?

Me, alone in the garage, with a couple of beers, music blaring from my iPhone...sure. It's been a while since I've done a brake job on one of my cars but I've done enough in my lifetime that I can't imagine why or how they came up with $1,677 for the fronts. Amy I crazy? Should I just do it myself (all 4 corners) or save myself the hassle and just let them do it in the spring after I've put 10 more miles on the car? lol

-Eric

P.S. If you recommend a DIY -- any recommendations on superior pads/rotors for the 45 or just go with OEM?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go to Pelican parts and buy the Zimmerman Rotors for the 45 as they are the OEM supplier, coated and all! OEM pads are on there too or others if you like. Pull up a video on Youtube and go from there. The backs take special care due to the possibility of damaging the electric emergency brake but the fronts are pretty straight-forward. At least your wont have to replace the sensor. Call them if they are not listed online.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
So, my car is in for its annual service and I just got a call from my tech advising me that my front pads are low ("right above the sensor") and the front rotors are looking thin, so they recommended that I change them out. The price?

$1,677

...for the front pads and rotors alone.

Despite owning the car for 7 years (picked it up Dec '13) and even taking it to a number of "wintercross" events over the years, I've never had to change the rotors and pads. The odometer hasn't even hit 25k miles. All things considered, needing new front pads/rotors at this point doesn't really bother me. The price, however, was a little bit of a shocker...not like a total surprise but, still, seems high. And, yes, I get the idea of an "AMG tax."

MBUSA itself shows the retail price of a front rotor as $189.99 (176-421-02-12 - Rotor 2014-2020 Mercedes-Benz | Mercedes-Benz USA Parts) and a set of front pads as $230.99 (008-420-32-20 - Brake Pads 2014-2020 Mercedes-Benz | Mercedes-Benz USA Parts). So, for argument sake, that's $610.97 for parts...$1,000 in labor? Is it really a 6-ish hour job for techs who, presumably, do this all of the time to swap out the front pads/rotors?

Me, alone in the garage, with a couple of beers, music blaring from my iPhone...sure. It's been a while since I've done a brake job on one of my cars but I've done enough in my lifetime that I can't imagine why or how they came up with $1,677 for the fronts. Amy I crazy? Should I just do it myself (all 4 corners) or save myself the hassle and just let them do it in the spring after I've put 10 more miles on the car? lol

-Eric

P.S. If you recommend a DIY -- any recommendations on superior pads/rotors for the 45 or just go with OEM?
The rear brakes are electronic, hence needs a special tool to do the brake job. Unless you have done brakes with electronic hand brake, better let a shop specializing in brakes do it.

My CLA costs $800 (parts and labour) for the front/rear rotors+pads + labour.

i got the rotors at rockauto , cheap and high quality parts.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go to Pelican parts and buy the Zimmerman Rotors for the 45 as they are the OEM supplier, coated and all! OEM pads are on there too or others if you like. Pull up a video on Youtube and go from there. The backs take special care due to the possibility of damaging the electric emergency brake but the fronts are pretty straight-forward. At least your wont have to replace the sensor. Call them if they are not listed online.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out. I noticed that a couple of sites mentioned something about a Retrofit Sport Kit. Any idea what that's about?

The rear brakes are electronic, hence needs a special tool to do the brake job. Unless you have done brakes with electronic hand brake, better let a shop specializing in brakes do it.

My CLA costs $800 (parts and labour) for the front/rear rotors+pads + labour.

i got the rotors at rockauto , cheap and high quality parts.
Thanks for the suggestion.

$800 for a shop to do all 4 corners would be a no-brainer. Almost $1,7k for just the fronts...not so much.

Did you buy the parts to have a shop install them? Part of me finds the work to be therapeutic. Part of me just isn't in the mood...for no good reason. I'm up in the air as to whether I should just have the work done and skip the "garage time."

-Eric

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Its my therapy

Rock is pretty cheap and lots of options

FCP you pay once ... the Zimms look pretty good to me (got mine from FCP)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I actually have a high end scan tool that does the same thing. Good for reading internal temperature of the transmission when doing an oil change as Mercedes specifies certain levels at certain temperatures. No idea on a retrofit kit.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I actually have a high end scan tool that does the same thing. Good for reading internal temperature of the transmission when doing an oil change as Mercedes specifies certain levels at certain temperatures. No idea on a retrofit kit.
May I ask which scantool you use?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think it will read in real time and probably change things but I wouldn't want to do that without a lot more knowledge. Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Oh ... well its supposed to be able to update ecus and modify settings
Though yes if not careful could end up with a 3500lb brick on wheels

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out. I noticed that a couple of sites mentioned something about a Retrofit Sport Kit. Any idea what that's about?

Thanks for the suggestion.

$800 for a shop to do all 4 corners would be a no-brainer. Almost $1,7k for just the fronts...not so much.

Did you buy the parts to have a shop install them? Part of me finds the work to be therapeutic. Part of me just isn't in the mood...for no good reason. I'm up in the air as to whether I should just have the work done and skip the "garage time."

-Eric
Yes, I buy the parts from rockauto and then get a shop familiar with Mercedes cars, to install them. Less of a headache and knowing that the job will be done properly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So far the repair is holding up well. I did source a used part off off Ebay to replace the one I cut and spliced when spring rolls around and I feel like taking the drivers side of the engine apart. It looks like the intake manifold needs to come off enough to get to the tubing clamp on the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
after all the supersedes there are only one set of part numbers for the 45

front rotor A1764210212
front pads A0084203220
rear rotor A1724230112
rear pads A0074209020

fcpeuro may be able to reconfirm -> interesting you can buy once and keep getting free replacements :)
(just ship them back)

·
Registered
13 Posts
so, i didnt use my scan tool for rear brakes, just went into service mode from dic, "tell it" you're doing rear brakes, it releases electronic brake for you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts