Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well if finally happened on my 2014 CLA250. While in the car wash one of my roof trim strip doors was blown off. I was able to retrieve it and the hinges were cleanly broken off. Unfortunately the door is not sold separately you have to buy the entire strip @ $280.00 and whatever they can charge in labor to replace it. Looks like at least a $500.00 repair.

I don't envision ever getting the Mercedes roof rack so I think I'm going to find a way to glue it back on permanently. I guess I should consider gluing the other 3 down before the same happens to them. Another design faux pas that we hope is corrected.

Has anyone come up with another better less expensive alternative?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Well if finally happened on my 2014 CLA250. While in the car wash one of my roof trim strip doors was blown off. I was able to retrieve it and the hinges were cleanly broken off. Unfortunately the door is not sold separately you have to buy the entire strip @ $280.00 and whatever they can charge in labor to replace it. Looks like at least a $500.00 repair.

I don't envision ever getting the Mercedes roof rack so I think I'm going to find a way to glue it back on permanently. I guess I should consider gluing the other 3 down before the same happens to them. Another design faux pas that we hope is corrected.

Has anyone come up with another better less expensive alternative?
I had that same issue 5 years ago, when the car wash blew off the roof trim (small piece, there are 4 of them, two on each side) from the rear passenger side. As you indicated, the cost of replacing the whole entire strip was prohibitive. I ended up using crazy glue and carefully glued it back in place, as like you, I never needed or wanted to put on a roof rack on my CLA. 5 years from the time it was glued on, it's been there steadfastly glued on.

Reactions: Northern Al

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had that same issue 5 years ago, when the car wash blew off the roof trim (small piece, there are 4 of them, two on each side) from the rear passenger side. As you indicated, the cost of replacing the whole entire strip was prohibitive. I ended up using crazy glue and carefully glued it back in place, as like you, I never needed or wanted to put on a roof rack on my CLA. 5 years from the time it was glued on, it's been there steadfastly glued on.
That's the direction I was moving in but wondered if being left in the summer sun would melt the glue? There's not a lot of surface to glue to.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ordinary bathroom clear caulk will do
can still be removed if needed

never touched mine … tough to remove for me?!
That's an interesting solution as well. Did you have to stuff the void under the panel with something to give it something to adhere to?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
That's the direction I was moving in but wondered if being left in the summer sun would melt the glue? There's not a lot of surface to glue to.
Although I only applied the glue to the attach points , 4 of them, it held in place, and we have had a few summers of a week of 38C, and its been holding on , no issues.

Reactions: Northern Al
1 - 9 of 9 Posts