Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had new pads/rotors front and pads rear installed and we have had noise issues since. Sounds almost like light grinding, touching noise in front. Hard to explain but at low speeds it like Wha-WHA-WHA sound like a balance-warp issue noise but don't feel anything, just hear it. The mechanic over torqued the wheels way too much after I told him specifically 100 ft lbs. I even broke a socket loosening the wheels to inspect pads, calipers and ensure nothing was loose after noticing a noise going from Park to Drive or Reverse. I saw nothing and torqued wheels to 100 ft lbs but noise is still there. I am concerned they may have warped the new rotors. Any thoughts, advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
a) In a slow roll with a helper, can you determine which front wheel is the source?
b) Were these MB parts?
c) Has the mechanic done CLA or MB brake systems prior?

·
Registered
280 Posts
It is 130nm so 98ft lbs. Is your dust shield bend ? You should put front tires on stands and turn them to see where is rubbing. Your ebrake works normaly. What rbrand of rotors and brake pads did you install ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front set up was purchased from Pelican Parts Ate coated discs and Ferodo pads (dust is BAD) I was not aware the rear pads needed replaced so mechanic used SST for replacement. (No dust) mechanic works on MB, BMW, etc as well all American makes. I have always had the car serviced at MB. Tried to save a few $ and it may have backfired :sneaky:

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Hate it when any power tool is used on any of my nuts and bolts owww

Anyway yeah as suggested jack front up and rotate to look for contact points

Might be something silly as a tiny stone or material flashing

But if the rotors are warped (?!) then the hub mount surface warped with it cuz the bolts go through both

Snapped a socket? May have been an unhardened variety not meant for power use

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I used good old fashioned elbow and arm power. Lol. Had to use a breaker bar to loosen. Socket was a Craftsman. But I am certain the mechanic used impact. I will investigate further for rubbing and pray they didn't warp everything

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
yes even the chrome craftsman sockets will not take an impact strike beyond its torque limit ... i broke one too a while back and will never do that again
that also means the bolts were quite over tightened ... the bolts are a lot tougher than the disc or the hub metal so if anything gave it will be the rim/disc/hub though if you dont feel wobble then you are lucky
if you have a cheap dial indicator -- do a runout check on the brake disc outer edge, and at the brake hat mount surface outer edge
if no indicator just a sharp edge metal ruler strapped firmly to a jack stand, bright light, and a camera will do and check for light modulation ... hopefully no change (no warp)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts