Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
@Texas Dave - glad you feel better! Glad to be of service.
As for cosmetic vs structural - yeah not gonna hurt any except my eyes every time I look under there
which is quite often so sooner or later it will bug me to the point of remedy ;-)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
@Texas Dave - glad you feel better! Glad to be of service.
As for cosmetic vs structural - yeah not gonna hurt any except my eyes every time I look under there
which is quite often so sooner or later it will bug me to the point of remedy ;-)
If it isn't structural, it's out of sight, out of mind for me. Another leasing advantage. I do appreciate your efforts to keep us informed.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
@Texas Dave - sure thing. Though knowing my luck if I leased the inspector would drop a pen right at the front and then notice the dings are larger than his magic defect limit gauge card and bill it. ?

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
But then I leased a lovely dark cherry Mazda wagon once someone keyed it deep past two doors so I touched up buffed as best I could and they let that really long eyesore go?? Odd.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I literally planked onto the floor. I took a look.I can confirm, the painted front lip is unharmed. There is no visible scraping. There is a little scraping on the black shield portion, but like compared to the sound the scrape seems not proportionate. There is more visible scraping on the tire spoilers. On the ones closest to the center, but even those arent as bad.

So what the hell did I scrape?

Regardless, Im relieved. Now EVERY driveway, I go in crooked and straighten as I come out. (I know...TWSS)

Reactions: Sue Esponte

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
BTW ... even a little scrap on the ribs or surface of the front engine shroud (just behind the painted splitter) it sounds REALLY LOUD when it occurs and note my scrapes are not significant

·
Registered
376 Posts
you never cease to amaze me... :headbang:

Well these are what the flow simulations look like for the serrated spoilers:
(front of car is on the right side of both pix)
View attachment 20634
View attachment 20635
They must have done some sims or trial&error to note they need to be positioned inboard
of tire centerline though without the full FEM spreadsheet we can guess all we want, but at
least this shows some flow evaluation results.
As for at what speed the decision boundaries cross, not sure without reynolds numbers etc
but my guess is since its nonlinear horsepower increase with air resistance, and approximately
we have (presuming Cd~0.28 A~24sqft M~3250lbs) 16hp needed for 60mph and 92hp needed
for 120mph well then I suppose every bit counts above say 40mph? But again that's a guess.

·
Registered
376 Posts
NYC has notorious inclines and declines on driveways. My garage goes into a hill and at the apex, a slight plateau then drop again slightly on a rising exit to street. The Parktronic is always ready to explode... :nuts:

So I literally planked onto the floor. I took a look.I can confirm, the painted front lip is unharmed. There is no visible scraping. There is a little scraping on the black shield portion, but like compared to the sound the scrape seems not proportionate. There is more visible scraping on the tire spoilers. On the ones closest to the center, but even those arent as bad.

So what the hell did I scrape?

Regardless, Im relieved. Now EVERY driveway, I go in crooked and straighten as I come out. (I know...TWSS)

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
you never cease to amaze me... :headbang:
You're too kind ... but nothing one can't learn from somewhere these days. ;-) I tell ya if only we had Google and the net back in the 60's!!!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You're too kind ... but nothing one can't learn from somewhere these days. ;-) I tell ya if only we had Google and the net back in the 60's!!!
The 60's... Nonetheless, you have good grasp of the online lingo (lol, lmao, etc.) and smileys. I'm still learning.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Learning online lingo today is tough good grief. If we had net access in preschool and kindergarten (as it is today) we would have been supergenX (or is it Y?) ?. I mean we had to use manual typewriters and correction tape for school reports for griefs sake. ?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Learning online lingo today is tough good grief. If we had net access in preschool and kindergarten (as it is today) we would have been supergenX (or is it Y?) ��. I mean we had to use manual typewriters and correction tape for school reports for griefs sake. ��
Agreed, I'm completely behind the learning curve. It almost seems instinctive with young people today. My soon to be 15 year old granddaughter had to show us how to set up streaming Netflix through my blue ray player. That was 6 years ago, when she was 8 years old!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I took a pic but it was badly lit so I'll try describing... just put your hand under the splitter it's less than a hand length away from the very front tip... it's a 3/4" tall piece of plastic pointing straight down and runs all across the front. Mine's lightly scuffed but it's not visible unless you're under the car. If you go up an incline it would be the first thing to hit the pavement rather than the splitter. This wouldn't save you from high concrete parking stops or curbs, you still have to watch for those... just make sure to take steep grades at an angle.
I scraped my front spoiler on the 3rd day of ownership and if you look at it closely you can actually see the jagged edges on the front edge of the spoiler, but for people that didn't know I scraped the spoiler, they probably wouldn't even know that it was there.

anyway, I got myself a touch-up stick, and has been slowly layering the slightly gouged and scraped area with the touch up paint. I allowed each layer to dry completely before adding another. Now it has covered the scraped and gouged part. I am going to sand it down with 600 grit sand paper (Wet-sanding) and it should be good to go.

I am becoming especially careful with parking the car now , especially in parking lots with the low bump concrete barrier .

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was born '74 and grew up doing homework using libraries and encyclopedia (not Wikipedia)... lol

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
@Bahn - take your revenge on life now ... Google everything from your car's fancy comand centre! ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, I know this is an old thread but I had a question. We have owned our cla for four weeks now and on the weekend my wife had a little scare and accident in the front end. She was driving on a motorway and the car in front of her ran over a metal box shaped object that flew up into the air towards the windscreen. She slammed the brakes and the object fell a few feet short of the bonnet and went under the car with a loud bang! When she got home we had a look underneath and this is what I found.

I have read that you can touch this up with layers of paint then rub back. I was also thinking of wrapping the front lip in gloss black. Does this lower part of the spoiler detach from the rest of the bar??

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
The good news is that it's underneath the car.

Try buffing it out. If you can't get it to your liking, a decent body shop should be able to handle it.

And remember, it's underneath - you can only see it when you get down on the ground to look.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
yeah I have a few scrapes underneath too. I just try not to crawl on the floor and look under. :p

I sanded it down and then used Dr Color Chip. Turned out just okay. It would bother me if it was anywhere other than the bottom lip where I can't see it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened when we were looking at houses last summer. The house had an inclined driveway and I had my doubts so I took it very slowly. Heard a scrape and instantly backed away. No damage. Moreover, guys, do you know how difficult is to escape from an old car that is not classic and none want to buy it. I had to make many documents to escape from it. Thanks to the Scrap my car: What is a COD or Certificate of Destruction? - Car.co.uk FAQs, that helped me a lot.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts