Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Scuffed/Damaged Rims?

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Spetrone 
#1 ·
I bought my 2018 CLA 250 4matic from a BMW dealer (lol) with 15k miles on it. However I noticed the rims seem to be scuffed or some of the polished look is gone around the outer edges (where the rim meets the tire). I’m not sure if this model rim has a clear coat that’s peeling and maybe that’s why I’m having this issue. I don’t see anything flaking off. Also thought maybe previous owner used a harsh product that stripped some finish off. I called my dealer who won’t look at the rims unless “damaged beyond repair” (to which they would replace. Called customer service who told me they cannot assist as they aren’t knowledgeable about parts.

I have the 18 inch 10 spoke alloy wheels. I’m trying to figure out if these can be buffed out, or if they need to be sand blasted and refinished, etc. Attached photos for reference. Anyone have a similar problem??

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like they got scratched and someone half assed a buff job when fixing.
i have the same wheels on mine and they don't have any coating on them from what i've noticed.

Reactions: Rapidfirerob
#4 ·
Thats super weird, and kind hard to tell.
it could be a bad buff job, or maybe there is actually a clear coat on the wheels and its wearing off (corrosion from something)... makes me want to go check on mine now haha.

im sure someone out there can fix that, hopefully you don't end up having to replace them. id call the BMW shop or find a solid local independent shop to ask.

#5 ·
There is a clear coat.
Looks like something ate through it?
But you might be lucky as that may be the cheap aftermarket top coat thats coming off though ... looks unlikely [emoji53]
Rim refinishing joints may help?

#6 ·
I called Mercedes again, they will only look at the rims if they’re considered “damaged” and need replacing. Annoying.. I just want them to diagnose what the issue is. But whatever. They said they don’t do refinishing and outsource companies that do the work for $150 per wheel. Not horrible but really don’t feel like paying $600 right now. I was hoping it was something that could be buffed and at least made presentable relatively simply, for the time being. I’ve called several wheel shops around me who tell me to take it to Mercedes since it’s only a 2018 and shouldn’t be having this issue yet. Going in circles ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.