Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Related to fluid flow rates at low temp? Though those are supposedly rated for chilly weather too

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have seen this error twice, both times when the car sat outside in the cold over the night, when inspecting the codes with a computer I saw a more accurate error that says something along the lines of "transmission computer temperature warning."another commenter on here said it happened after a cold night.

If the computer sensitive to cold as well as heat for a reason ?
I just had this problem today. It was super cold last night and this morning is when it started. I'm going to wait for the weather to warm up and melt the ice and then I'll try again. I'll let you guys know if it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last night, when I was trying to drive out, and saw the error code "Service Required: Do Not Shift Gears, Visit Dealer". It won't start either, anybody have a similar experience?
This just happened to my 2014 cla. I turned it off & turned it back on & it went away. No check engine light or anything on the dash. The last time I took it to the dealer they mentioned I would need a battery soon so that could be it but I will take it to get tested. At this time all appears fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes it is definitely the battery ! That happened to me a few months ago . It happened a few times over the course of 3 months and when I brought it to the dealer they mentioned it was my transmission gear and tried charging me tons of money . I did my own research online to see what can possibly cause this problem and an old battery could be the culprit of the problem .. my car would start on and off for a few days too it finally gave out. I was getting ready to have it towed to the dealer and luckily the tow truck guy was very helpful and dealt with Mercedes cars before and he offered to switch the battery himself and updated the software and my car is working totally fine now . Good luck to you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found the root cause of this intermittent problem in my 2015 CLA45 was a dead cell in the cars battery.
I know it sounds unrelated but the electrical system and computer are so sensitive to power quality that all kinds of strange behavior was happening with my car. 1 day came where the car locked with the key inside the car, sometime it wouldn't see the key while I was sitting in the drivers seat. Other various odd behaviors were also happening. After the locksmith came and unlocked the car it wouldn't start. So I investigated and replaced the battery with a new one. All of the weirdness went away including the transmission error message.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Power rail voltage / current availability does impact how all the circuitry functions ... sign of the computersonwheels times

Ummm ... the tow truck driver updated the software ??? With what ?

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
60 Posts
I was wondering what software the truck driver updated as well. My 2016 CLA250 (which the wife drives) has had two instances of a totally dead battery. In both cases the car was extremely hard to get started and took a while even with heavy duty jumper cables. On the first occasion, we got it to the MB dealership and they diagnosed two dead batteries the main one and some other battery, both needed replacement and they also did a s/w update. This was a bout 6 months ago. Then, yesterday, it was totally dead again and equally hard to get started. This time the dealer said nothing was wrong with the battery, they claim that the issue was that we had plugged a safety tracking device ("Drivewise") that Allstate insurance uses for safe driver discounts, into the OBDII port. They said it drains the battery and there is some kind of bulletin about this. So they removed it and reset a CEL and gave the car back to me. I would have thought that this "drivewise" device would pull minimal power from the big battery, but maybe it was the issue....

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Yeah some obd gadgets do draw power as they may not go to sleep mode (poor design or bad software)
Unplug them when not driving perhaps?

Can you get that bulletin number? So we can see if they are fibbing ...

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
60 Posts
I think that the stupid "Drivewise" device must draw power even when the car is off.... I got an e-mail from Allstate with this:
Hi Martyn,
It’s important to us that you’re safe on the road. When your vehicle signals a potential issue, we want you to have the tools to understand.

Below you’ll find the diagnostic codes reported by your vehicle. Log in to My Account to learn more, get repair estimates and book an appointment with a mechanic near you.
2016 MERCEDES-B CLA250
Diagnostic Trouble Code P0562
System Voltage Low
This issue may not require immediate attention.
Diagnostic Trouble Code P0562
System Voltage Low
This issue may not require immediate attention.
Questions?​
We're here to help. Call the Drivewise Customer Team at 855‑841‑9020 or contact your Allstate agency.​

It has been left unplugged. Soon Allstate will tell me that it has been disconnected! It doesn't matter anyway, our discount is currently 0%.... (it monitors speed over 80mph, hard braking events, time of day driving and total miles drive). On top of that, our brand new 2020 CLA250 which we ordered has just arrived at the dealership. Changing cars any day now and probably will seek a different insurance company!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes it is definitely the battery ! That happened to me a few months ago . It happened a few times over the course of 3 months and when I brought it to the dealer they mentioned it was my transmission gear and tried charging me tons of money . I did my own research online to see what can possibly cause this problem and an old battery could be the culprit of the problem .. my car would start on and off for a few days too it finally gave out. I was getting ready to have it towed to the dealer and luckily the tow truck guy was very helpful and dealt with Mercedes cars before and he offered to switch the battery himself and updated the software and my car is working totally fine now . Good luck to you!
You are right! That’s exactly what it was. I got it replaced & everything is working, even my eco mode lol

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Have learned to keep the battery charged up ... keeps LOTS of technical gremlins away

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
60 Posts
Any feedback on how long the battery lasts in CLA’s. We got about 3 years out of the 2016 car before it went from perfect to zero overnight.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
depends ... like mine were exactly 24mo ... some get >5yr (say what?)
what kills these agms is that one low cycle and the latent damage is done ... explains the 24mo warranty too huh?
but i suppose if it is kept tendered when parked etc should last a few years (as evidenced by the >5yr cases)

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
60 Posts
Thanks. Thinking about it, the latest battery issue was after my wife (it’s her daily car), was in Mexico for about a Month. I started it a few times and let it run maybe 10 minutes but never thought about charging it. A good charger might be a good investment. Certainly, having it discharge to basically 0V probably has permanently done in the battery. Swapping the ‘16 lease for a purchased ‘20 CLA on Thursday (assuming no issues and we get a decent deal), so battery hopefully will make it that long.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Actually these cars dont necessarily charge the battery just cuz the engine is running (the alt only kicks in when engine load is minimal or none ... to minimize parasitic drain and improve mpg etc)
Deep cycled already so yeah battery is dead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
this happened to me this morning in montreal, qc, canada. i just arrived my office, the snow wasn't cleaned yet, i drove into maybe about 20-30 cm of snow, and i got stuck, i tried to drive out of snow, but i can't, after severals tries, this message popped out and i can't shift anymore. i tried to shut my engine off and turn it back on, it doesn't work, the message still showed up.

i went inside of my office and try to google a solution, after 30 min, i tried to start my car, and this message is gone, i shovel my way out of this crazy storm, and i promise that i will never try to push my car out of the snow, but instead just slowly shovel everything out of way first.

i never had a bad battery before, it always works perfectly ( it was a original battery on my 2014 cla 250, so almost 6 years old now).

that was scary, not only a super bad snow storm, and almost a broke transmission (god knows how much will it cost? 5k or more? ).

i will keep update if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got this issue this morning on my way to work... the message popped up as I was driving, and the car wouldn’t shift gears on the interstate; yeah scary moment... I pulled over on the side; shut the car off once and restarted it; and the message went away... I was able to make it to work....
2014 CLA 250 with the OEM battery; never been replaced. Could it be that the battery is going bad and I need a new one? My Eco start/stop stopped working like a year ago

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Welcome Franchise :) Yes. Check for codes before going to dealer.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
... Could it be that the battery is going bad and I need a new one? My Eco start/stop stopped working like a year ago
What did you decide to do?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts