Mercedes CLA Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
... My car’s currently at a shop waiting to get towed to the dealer....Going to visit mechanic this morning to ask him to re-check the batteries, etc. I’ll update as I get new info...
__
Welcome to the CLA Forum Kristy :)
a) That's an MB dealer...right?
b) Suggest you let the MB dealer sort it from this point.
c) Friend #1 - the driver - should compensate you for these costs.
Other members may have additional thoughts, but in general IMO, we don't loan our CLAs, or allow people to work on them who are not experts on MB.

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250
3 Posts
__
Welcome to the CLA Forum Kristy :)
a) That's an MB dealer...right?
b) Suggest you let the MB dealer sort it from this point.
c) Friend #1 - the driver - should compensate you for these costs.
Other members may have additional thoughts, but in general IMO, we don't loan our CLAs, or allow people to work on them who are not experts on MB.
Thank you for your response! Yes, a Mercedes dealer; my car's actually getting towed there now😭But yeah, the shop that I had taken it to only works on Mercedes and BMW and he came recommended, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Didn't charge me and said that he thinks it has something to do with one of the computers (I don't know how many there are in total). Now have to wait and see what dealer says; hoping that it's nothing major!

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
The particular AAA techs you got had no idea what they were doing. I had an incident that AAA was involved and the case response is night and day per your description. Hope they didnt screw anything up.
Keep us posted on what benz says and may this be resolved quickly!

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250
3 Posts
The particular AAA techs you got had no idea what they were doing. I had an incident that AAA was involved and the case response is night and day per your description. Hope they didnt screw anything up.
Keep us posted on what benz says and may this be resolved quickly!
Mercedes ran a diagnostic and said that they need to replace the 'Transmission Conductor Plate' -- going to run a little over $2,500.00. I just don't know how everything went so haywire, so quickly. I had absolutely zero issues with the car prior to this and it's had every service/maintenance done when called for. Just seems like a big issue to have as a result of the battery dying after running out of gas...(?) I asked if they'd change the battery to a brand new one to see if that resolves the issue (after reading that was the case for many, per this forum) but the service writer was adamant that wouldn't fix anything, that I have to replace that part in the transmission.

These are the tech notes: "Transmission - Conductor Plate: recommend replace transmission control unit as initial repair. vehicle has multiple codes. found right front fuse box has been tampered with. vehicle also has speed sensor codes, esp fault codes and many others. please leave estimate open for additional parts and labor."

So, one, the verbiage used, "fuse box has been 'tampered' with"...I left the interior compartment exposed after I had checked the fuses in that box; the tech makes it sounds as though things were messed with and potentially harmed (?) I had told the service writer previously that I did in fact check the fuses in two of the fuse boxes, so I don't know why that was noted in that way. Anyway, two, why aren't the specific codes listed? The tech is extremely vague when saying, "multiple codes....esp fault codes and 'many others'..." -- am I able to request and obtain a list of the codes? I'd asked the service writer for a more detailed explanation and he said that the above statement from the tech was all that he had for me....Seems odd that I can't obtain a copy of a diagnostic report with specific details that I'm going to end up paying over $200 for.....And, three, the "leave estimate open for additional parts and labor" -- this can obviously lead to a very costly bill. How do I make them tell me the exact problem to get the car to shift again and not get a bunch of other services thrown in that aren't pressing? This is why I don't like going to the dealer for service -- they just add on a bunch of peripheral things to get the total bill as high as possible, rather than just fixing the issue at hand.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
A) ... Mercedes dealer...
B) ...the shop that I had taken it to only works on Mercedes and BMW ...
Kristy, We will try to look into this - Please give us the Web Sites for these 2 companies.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
you have the right to know what issues they need to fix and the associated billing
ask for the initial quick test results which will have all the codes and errors logged (print or email the pdf either way)
those codes will tie into recommended services procedures which should also be posted in the repair order

61 - 66 of 66 Posts