Mercedes CLA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
... My car’s currently at a shop waiting to get towed to the dealer....Going to visit mechanic this morning to ask him to re-check the batteries, etc. I’ll update as I get new info...
__
Welcome to the CLA Forum Kristy :)
a) That's an MB dealer...right?
b) Suggest you let the MB dealer sort it from this point.
c) Friend #1 - the driver - should compensate you for these costs.
Other members may have additional thoughts, but in general IMO, we don't loan our CLAs, or allow people to work on them who are not experts on MB.

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250
8 Posts
__
Welcome to the CLA Forum Kristy :)
a) That's an MB dealer...right?
b) Suggest you let the MB dealer sort it from this point.
c) Friend #1 - the driver - should compensate you for these costs.
Other members may have additional thoughts, but in general IMO, we don't loan our CLAs, or allow people to work on them who are not experts on MB.
Thank you for your response! Yes, a Mercedes dealer; my car's actually getting towed there now😭But yeah, the shop that I had taken it to only works on Mercedes and BMW and he came recommended, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Didn't charge me and said that he thinks it has something to do with one of the computers (I don't know how many there are in total). Now have to wait and see what dealer says; hoping that it's nothing major!

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
The particular AAA techs you got had no idea what they were doing. I had an incident that AAA was involved and the case response is night and day per your description. Hope they didnt screw anything up.
Keep us posted on what benz says and may this be resolved quickly!

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250
8 Posts
The particular AAA techs you got had no idea what they were doing. I had an incident that AAA was involved and the case response is night and day per your description. Hope they didnt screw anything up.
Keep us posted on what benz says and may this be resolved quickly!
Mercedes ran a diagnostic and said that they need to replace the 'Transmission Conductor Plate' -- going to run a little over $2,500.00. I just don't know how everything went so haywire, so quickly. I had absolutely zero issues with the car prior to this and it's had every service/maintenance done when called for. Just seems like a big issue to have as a result of the battery dying after running out of gas...(?) I asked if they'd change the battery to a brand new one to see if that resolves the issue (after reading that was the case for many, per this forum) but the service writer was adamant that wouldn't fix anything, that I have to replace that part in the transmission.

These are the tech notes: "Transmission - Conductor Plate: recommend replace transmission control unit as initial repair. vehicle has multiple codes. found right front fuse box has been tampered with. vehicle also has speed sensor codes, esp fault codes and many others. please leave estimate open for additional parts and labor."

So, one, the verbiage used, "fuse box has been 'tampered' with"...I left the interior compartment exposed after I had checked the fuses in that box; the tech makes it sounds as though things were messed with and potentially harmed (?) I had told the service writer previously that I did in fact check the fuses in two of the fuse boxes, so I don't know why that was noted in that way. Anyway, two, why aren't the specific codes listed? The tech is extremely vague when saying, "multiple codes....esp fault codes and 'many others'..." -- am I able to request and obtain a list of the codes? I'd asked the service writer for a more detailed explanation and he said that the above statement from the tech was all that he had for me....Seems odd that I can't obtain a copy of a diagnostic report with specific details that I'm going to end up paying over $200 for.....And, three, the "leave estimate open for additional parts and labor" -- this can obviously lead to a very costly bill. How do I make them tell me the exact problem to get the car to shift again and not get a bunch of other services thrown in that aren't pressing? This is why I don't like going to the dealer for service -- they just add on a bunch of peripheral things to get the total bill as high as possible, rather than just fixing the issue at hand.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
A) ... Mercedes dealer...
B) ...the shop that I had taken it to only works on Mercedes and BMW ...
Kristy, We will try to look into this - Please give us the Web Sites for these 2 companies.

Reactions: pa4ul

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
you have the right to know what issues they need to fix and the associated billing
ask for the initial quick test results which will have all the codes and errors logged (print or email the pdf either way)
those codes will tie into recommended services procedures which should also be posted in the repair order

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yup just had this problem.

Pass few days it’s been brutally cold.

my wife drove it yesterday with no issues.

I started her up today without any issue either.

I drove it for a 5 min drive. Parked it for 10 mins and it started up.

I made another 5 min stop and when I tried starting her up again it gave me that same error.

Finally after 10 attempts and trying to get it started it finally did.

Service engine light came on. I let the car run for about 20 mins when I got home. I’ll test out the battery this week.

this is a 2014 CLA 60k miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I came across this, I have a 2014 CLA and about a week ago I had got that error message to pop up on my dash and then it went away and my car started fine a few days later it showed up again still was running still was working and I went out walked into a store came back out car wouldn’t turn on at all the same message popped up. I’ve tried getting this car to start it will only start if I get a boost. I have an appointment at my dealership in two days and hopefully it’s just the battery.. With this error message I’ve seen a lot of people say that it was the battery, and other people said that it was some thing doing with the transmission. The crazy thing is in my city there are two different Mercedes dealerships, I called both of them and told them the error message that it was reading and they told me two different things so that’s the scary thing not knowing what’s really up. And pricing

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250
8 Posts
you have the right to know what issues they need to fix and the associated billing
ask for the initial quick test results which will have all the codes and errors logged (print or email the pdf either way)
those codes will tie into recommended services procedures which should also be posted in the repair order
The service writer that I'm working with will literally not give me any of that information. I'm going to the dealership today to have it towed out of there. I'm going to ask the manager of the service department to provide me with the information but I have little faith that I'm going to get it at this point with the way things have been going. It may seem petty but at this point, just out of principle, I'm going to have the repair done at a different dealership because my experience thus far at the current dealership has been shitty, to say the least. They're giving me thee absolute minimum amount of information and essentially just trying to up-sell me repairs and/or leave me in the dark about specifics. They've been so ambiguous and vague despite me being very clear and polite with my questions and requests for more detailed information. Even when I asked if they could just replace the battery as an initial step to see if that would fix the problem, before spending over $2500, I was met with a, "No, that's not going to fix this problem that you're having. You have to replace the transmission conductor plate." At that point I just told them to not do anything; I've paid the fee for the diagnostic test (for which I'm not privy to any details of), I'm going to have the car towed, I'm going to replace the battery and pray that it fixes the issue, but if not, I'll be getting it towed to a different dealership to first, see what they say, and then to have the repair done there.

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250
8 Posts
Yup just had this problem.

Pass few days it’s been brutally cold.

my wife drove it yesterday with no issues.

I started her up today without any issue either.

I drove it for a 5 min drive. Parked it for 10 mins and it started up.

I made another 5 min stop and when I tried starting her up again it gave me that same error.

Finally after 10 attempts and trying to get it started it finally did.

Service engine light came on. I let the car run for about 20 mins when I got home. I’ll test out the battery this week.

this is a 2014 CLA 60k miles.

Did it end up being a battery issue?

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250
8 Posts
Hi I came across this, I have a 2014 CLA and about a week ago I had got that error message to pop up on my dash and then it went away and my car started fine a few days later it showed up again still was running still was working and I went out walked into a store came back out car wouldn’t turn on at all the same message popped up. I’ve tried getting this car to start it will only start if I get a boost. I have an appointment at my dealership in two days and hopefully it’s just the battery.. With this error message I’ve seen a lot of people say that it was the battery, and other people said that it was some thing doing with the transmission. The crazy thing is in my city there are two different Mercedes dealerships, I called both of them and told them the error message that it was reading and they told me two different things so that’s the scary thing not knowing what’s really up. And pricing

What did each dealership say the potential issue is, transmission?

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
The service writer that I'm working with will literally not give me any of that information. I'm going to the dealership today to have it towed out of there. I'm going to ask the manager of the service department to provide me with the information but I have little faith that I'm going to get it at this point with the way things have been going.....
very surprised they will have you pay for a repair and not tell you anything about it
the process i posted is very common and i have requested and received such docs previously
do hope another dealer will be a better experience
get the diag report since you already paid for that ... can compare to what the next dealer gets

·
Registered
4 Posts
What did each dealership say the potential issue is, transmission?
UPDATE! —— my dealership called me with a update.... it was my car battery!!! It was completely dead. They checked everything with the transmission also... no issues at all with that!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
__
..........c) Friend #1 - the driver - should compensate you for these costs.
So pleased it is all sorted. ✅

Reactions: Avilj98

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250
8 Posts
UPDATE! —— my dealership called me with a update.... it was my car battery!!! It was completely dead. They checked everything with the transmission also... no issues at all with that!
That's awesome, glad to hear; thanks for updating!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
@Kristy , @Avilj98
Over the past year many of us have modified our driving habits due to COVID and our already old batteries got weaker and in my case I had to get both OEMs replaced. So other Forum members should take note of our experiences.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Yeah
Thats where a good battery maintainer comes in and saves a LOT of headaches

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last night, when I was trying to drive out, and saw the error code "Service Required: Do Not Shift Gears, Visit Dealer". It won't start either, anybody have a similar experience?
I had the same thing happen, if you keep trying with the key it will eventually start, but this is a battery issue and replacing the old battery with a new will get rid of all the problems at least in my case it did. i had all the same error messages

61 - 80 of 80 Posts