Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else find it weird/strange that we don't get a gear shift? It's a shift-by-wire gear selector on the steering column. Are we going back in time or what?

Might take a little getting used to. :ca:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Does anyone else find it weird/strange that we don't get a gear shift? It's a shift-by-wire gear selector on the steering column. Are we going back in time or what?

Might take a little getting used to. :ca:
So many cars are doing everything by wire and I've not noticed any problem with it or lack of "feel" so I'm not too worried about it. If you think about it throttle by wire has been around a long time and you are on the throttle tipping in/out constantly and feel would be much more important there rather then just when shifting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't noticed any paddle shifters on any of the press pictures. Any idea how you can manually shift the DCT?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So many cars are doing everything by wire and I've not noticed any problem with it or lack of "feel" so I'm not too worried about it. If you think about it throttle by wire has been around a long time and you are on the throttle tipping in/out constantly and feel would be much more important there rather then just when shifting.
It will take a bit to get used to it, that's all. I love grabbing the gear shift and changing the gears on my C. Now I actually have to drive with my hands on the wheel to change gears!!!:crying:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a close up of the CLA shift-by-wire gearselect... from the ordering guide.

Weird. You have to push the button to put the car into park. When you start the car and want to reverse, do you move the lever or do you press the button to take it out of park first? :question:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Those worried about lack of feel don't be, could be worse, look at the new Infiniti's, EVERYTHING including steering is fly-by-wire design, no longer a steering column. Probably going to feel like Cruisin USA at the arcade ugh...
And in the CLA, the gear lever can't possibly be worse than the new BMW ones anyways.

As things progress I'm thinking every driving nut will have 2 cars...the standard daily driver and an old manual beater.
That's my plan anyways, get this as daily driver and then pickup a used fun car like a E30 M3 !! Manual everything !

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not too worried, but I'll what happens when I can test drive one. It'll just take some getting used to.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Weird. You have to push the button to put the car into park. When you start the car and want to reverse, do you move the lever or do you press the button to take it out of park first? :question:
Foot on brake, move the lever up. Just like the RR Phantom

·
Registered
495 Posts
You can get the W176 Brabus ones, even the race ones which is much larger. But they costs a fortune almost €500,- just for some alu larger paddles.
Yea, they definitely are tiny. I have a vehicle now that is equipped with paddle shifters. They are fairly large and have a good length that allows you to use them from the bottom or top of the steering wheel. Gonna miss them when I switch to the CLA.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The CLA45 ordering guide shows a more normal "gear lever" on the center console with the notation that it is a "European Gear Selector". What will happen on the center console with this 'thingie' on the steering column ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am wondering this same thing - and so shift-by-wire is not similar to a console mounted shifter where you move a stalk through the different PRND? If it is just tap up, down, and in - I like that very much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts