Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know what the effect is, if any, of a remap on shifting behavior of the cla45. One of the most frustrating aspects of the car is the early upshifting in C mode. HG motorsports for example in one of their posts claims their remap improves this. What have others experienced? I'm not questioning M mode since I don't use it, and S mode on the other hand holds gears too long. Thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Have you "reset" the DCT yourself? It can make a difference.

1) Get in car & shut the door.
2) Turn car to On (do not start), by pressing twice on Start button- do not touch the brake.
3) Turn off all lights/electronics
3) Hold down gas pedal to floor.
4) Wait 20+ seconds and then turn car Off by pressing the Start button once.
5) Wait 20+ seconds continuing to hold down gas pedal to floor, release the gas pedal & don't touch anything...
6) After car's systems go completely quiet (about 2-3 minutess), you can open the door and get out of the car-- or start your training drive

For the ones that are using a key

1) Turn off car and all lights/electronics
2) Turn key 2 clicks (the one right before your engine gets turned on)
3) Hold down gas pedal (all the way to the floor) for 20+ seconds
4) Turn Key all the way back to the left (position before you pull it out)
5) Wait 20+ seconds continuing to hold down gas pedal to floor, release the gas pedal & don't touch anything...
6) After car system completely goes quiet (about 2-3 minutes), you can open the door .

This will reset the shift points of the DCT; it will "learn" your driving style.and shift points will be reset. You should do this reset in a place where you can drive the car in a manner that will allow the DCT to adapt to your desired driving style over the next 40 shifts.

I just have a 250 and my daily commute to work (and back) is just 3.5 miles in heavy traffic and lots of traffic lights. I reset my DCT every month. I does LEARN and I do not mind being in third gear by the time I clear an intersection during my normal daily commute-- but on weekends when i actually "drive" the car, the transmission can be a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Have you "reset" the DCT yourself? It can make a difference.

1) Get in car & shut the door.
2) Turn car to On (do not start), by pressing twice on Start button- do not touch the brake.
3) Turn off all lights/electronics
3) Hold down gas pedal to floor.
4) Wait 20+ seconds and then turn car Off by pressing the Start button once.
6) After car's systems go completely quiet (about 2-3 minutess), you can open the door and get out of the car-- or start your training drive

For the ones that are using a key

1) Turn off car and all lights/electronics
2) Turn key 2 clicks (the one right before your engine gets turned on)
3) Hold down gas pedal (all the way to the floor) for 20+ seconds
4) Turn Key all the way back to the left (position before you pull it out)
6) After car system completely goes quiet (about 2-3 minutes), you can open the door .

This will reset the shift points of the DCT; it will "learn" your driving style.and shift points will be reset. You should do this reset in a place where you can drive the car in a manner that will allow the DCT to adapt to your desired driving style over the next 40 shifts.

I just have a 250 and my daily commute to work (and back) is just 3.5 miles in heavy traffic and lots of traffic lights. I reset my DCT every month. I does LEARN and I do not mind being in third gear by the time I clear an intersection during my normal daily commute-- but on weekends when i actually "drive" the car, the transmission can be a bit frustrating.
I've only had to do this once, when I passed my break in period miles. I had driven only in E, and gently. The car was shifting like the gears were mired in molasses. After doing the reset, I aggressively drove, and sure enough, the transmission adapted. Now I only drive in S, and while I do have that awful hanging shift between 2nd and 3rd, I just pull on the right paddle at the appropriate time to get into 3rd. The reset is quick and easy, well worth the few minutes it takes to do it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sometimes teaching is not enough-- the little brat knows better, but he does awful stuff anyway. A real reprogram may be needed.

Sometimes my DCT shifts badly-- it reminds me of teaching my teenage daughter to drive a stick shift: she'd push the clutch then"hunt" for the next gear and NOT take her foot off the gas-- I'd watch (and listen) in abject horror as the tach climbed to near red line before the shift was completed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions.

Curious to hear from those with a remapped ecu 45 (not tuning box)...any feedback? Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I couldn't find anything about the HG tune improving shifting? I'd like to know how as far as I know you need to remap the TCU otherwise the only difference in shifting is the adaptations I.e nothing to do with remapped ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't find anything about the HG tune improving shifting? I'd like to know how as far as I know you need to remap the TCU otherwise the only difference in shifting is the adaptations I.e nothing to do with remapped ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I came across it recently but couldn't find it again. What I found though was their more detailed explanation of the tune for the 250 which I think is the same logic for the 45 tune.

It doesn't really change the shifting behavior but their view is since you end up with more torque in each gear the upshifting isn't as bothersome since you have more power within each gear. Thing is the car is very good with downshifting when you gas it hard but as soon as you let you let up on the pedal you get an upshift. I'm sure there is merit to their logic but I don't see it as a huge benefit for me...perhaps I would feel differently if I actually tried it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I came across it recently but couldn't find it again. What I found though was their more detailed explanation of the tune for the 250 which I think is the same logic for the 45 tune.

It doesn't really change the shifting behavior but their view is since you end up with more torque in each gear the upshifting isn't as bothersome since you have more power within each gear. Thing is the car is very good with downshifting when you gas it hard but as soon as you let you let up on the pedal you get an upshift. I'm sure there is merit to their logic but I don't see it as a huge benefit for me...perhaps I would feel differently if I actually tried it.
Oh right, very tenuous link there

Look at rebellion, they have a plug and play TCU tune if you're interested in improving shifting - can be done without the ECU

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
digzy
Mercedes CLA Forum
We’re a community dedicated to the Mercedes-Benz CLA & CLA45 AMG. We offer CLA pictures, technical discussions, and more from owners across the world.
Full Forum Listing