Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really exicted when I learnt about CLA250 in the Detroit Auto Show earlier this year. I visited NY auto show just to look at this car and learn more about it. Now that all the pricing details are out, the 29900 doesnt really give much (of a forgot to add $925). I was hoping to buy base model with heated seats, blind spot assist and Bi-Xenon head lights. I would love to have rear view camera and Pano -roof, but my budget does not allow that.

Called a few dealerships today and they all have vehicle spec'ed such that all of them are between 35 -39k.

I ceratinly do not want to Lease a car as I plan to own it for atleast 6-8 years

Should I go for 2013 Audi A4 which has most features I want (including pano roof) with MSRP $34500?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I was really exicted when I learnt about CLA250 in the Detroit Auto Show earlier this year. I visited NY auto show just to look at this car and learn more about it. Now that all the pricing details are out, the 29900 doesnt really give much (of a forgot to add $925). I was hoping to buy base model with heated seats, blind spot assist and Bi-Xenon head lights. I would love to have rear view camera and Pano -roof, but my budget does not allow that.

Called a few dealerships today and they all have vehicle spec'ed such that all of them are between 35 -39k.

I ceratinly do not want to Lease a car as I plan to own it for atleast 6-8 years

Should I go for 2013 Audi A4 which has most features I want (including pano roof) with MSRP $34500?
Truthfully since its about the same price; choose whicever car you feel more comfortable sitting in, driving in, and the one you see yourself driving, and being happy down the road. For example I'm choosing the CLA 45 AMG over the BMW 3/4 series, and the S5 because well I feel a lot more comfortable sitting inside of a Mercedes. Added on its always been my dream to own a AMG so that highly factors into my decision, added on I can see myself driving it and still being happy in the future. So all in all just maybe have a Audi A4 beside a Mercedes CLA 250, sit in both and choose whichever one you prefer, feel more comfortable in, and can see yourself driving in the future.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

Take the base car with heated seats, blind spot assist and Panoramic roof. Forget the Bi-xenon. You are inside the car, you will never appreciate the appearance of the head or tail light. May have to order one as most cars will have Premium 1. The bi-xenon head lamps for US cars looks nowhere as nice as the European, Canadian or Australian ones we have seen. Save the $850 or $950. Get a car priced at $33000 and you will not regret your decision.
It is not the A4 you should consider. It's the brand new A3s that are rumored to eat the CLA250 for breakfast in every aspect...

·
Registered
53 Posts
You have to ask your self what you are paying for when buying the CLA. For me, the only options that I am willing to pay for is the Bi-Xenon lights and possibly the sport package (I still want to see it in person). All the other options will drive up the price of the car far to high and into another class of cars, which is over my budget. So what I am paying for is a great looking, FWD sporty compact turbo 4 with a (semi) luxurious interior (depending on what options you get). With that the car should come out to be 33-34k. Can I get what I am looking for else where with that kind of money? Not likely, not until the A3 sedan comes to the states. The closest thing there is to what I am searching for is the TSX. But that has a dated NA 4 banger, and if you want the v6 the price is up to 36k+ or something.

The 2013 A4 that you are looking at is a great deal. But you can't compare the exterior stylings. The A4 is a bit bland when compared to the CLA.

·
Registered
534 Posts
U can always install a HID conversion kit. I did this in my wife's Lexus.
The lighting improvement of xenon over incandescent is better by an order of magnitude.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We sell Audi as well and a Pano roof is not available in the A4. A comparable A4 will run you about $41,000 - $45,000 but in the midwest would include quattro. The CLA is a more unique vehicle and offers a better performance gear box Dual CLutch versus normal 8 speed tiptronic. The CLA will cost lost regardless.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
We sell Audi as well and a Pano roof is not available in the A4. A comparable A4 will run you about $41,000 - $45,000 but in the midwest would include quattro. The CLA is a more unique vehicle and offers a better performance gear box Dual CLutch versus normal 8 speed tiptronic. The CLA will cost lost regardless.
Tim, you are the almighty GM. So you are good whether the custom buys a CLA or an A3. How sweet :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
HA!! Wish it were that easy and I always share my personal opinion not one with profit in mind :) There are times were the owners says back off one brand and sell more of the other. But I prefer to sell what the customer wants or needs, or have my staff make suggestions based on customer feedback. We are very excited for CLA. I ran a VW dealership for 12 years and miss dealing with that type of buyer..But I love the brands I work for so thats a huge bonus :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
HA!! Wish it were that easy and I always share my personal opinion not one with profit in mind :) There are times were the owners says back off one brand and sell more of the other. But I prefer to sell what the customer wants or needs, or have my staff make suggestions based on customer feedback. We are very excited for CLA. I ran a VW dealership for 12 years and miss dealing with that type of buyer..But I love the brands I work for so thats a huge bonus :)
:). Any info on the upcoming A3 sedan?

·
Registered
71 Posts
CLA has a better residual. Audi residuals are not subsidized at all, even thought the cars are holding the value 10-12 percent better than residual. The CLA has a 64% residual versus 54% for an A4 Premium plus. A3/S3 will be very exciting when they come out. But it will target more of the MINI and 1 series client. The CLA is still very different and targets a completely different customer. You would laugh if I told you who Mercedes is hoping to steal business from. :)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
CLA has a better residual. Audi residuals are not subsidized at all, even thought the cars are holding the value 10-12 percent better than residual. The CLA has a 64% residual versus 54% for an A4 Premium plus. A3/S3 will be very exciting when they come out. But it will target more of the MINI and 1 series client. The CLA is still very different and targets a completely different customer. You would laugh if I told you who Mercedes is hoping to steal business from. :)
I'm actually interested in hearing who they're planning to steal business from because I personally think its VW

·
Registered
71 Posts
two cars represent 1 million sales Honda Accord and Ford Fusion. Mercedes is hoping to achieve 80,000

But I agree VW is a prime target for the CLA, it is a CC, GLI and GTI all in one.. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts