Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my 2009 135i that was pumping out 400rwhp and now I am diving into a 208bhp car. This has me thinking. BMW offered a performance package that was dealer installed and consisted of a reflash, optimized cooling fan and auxiliary radiator for the 135i. The cost of this as a tick over $2,000 us$. I understand that in order to aid with Cafe and other environmental standards across the whole company, the CLA 250 was tuned strictly for fuel efficiency. Now, that the numbers are set there is nothing that would prevent MB for offering some dealer installed goodies at a later date to help bolster an already good platform. I can easily see a performance pack taking advantage of whatever is left on the table with these engines in the future. Any thoughts on this?

-Jeff

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I just sold my 2009 135i that was pumping out 400rwhp and now I am diving into a 208bhp car. This has me thinking. BMW offered a performance package that was dealer installed and consisted of a reflash, optimized cooling fan and auxiliary radiator for the 135i. The cost of this as a tick over $2,000 us$. I understand that in order to aid with Cafe and other environmental standards across the whole company, the CLA 250 was tuned strictly for fuel efficiency. Now, that the numbers are set there is nothing that would prevent MB for offering some dealer installed goodies at a later date to help bolster an already good platform. I can easily see a performance pack taking advantage of whatever is left on the table with these engines in the future. Any thoughts on this?

-Jeff
Jeff,

With all due respect, and I mean this in the nicest of ways but, you need to seek immediate help from a therapist with experience in performance withdrawal. You just sold a car engineered for performance with RWD and 400hp (at the wheels) for a FWD car engineered with 'luxury' in mind pumping out 208hp (at the engine).

My serious recommendation to you is wait for the 4MATIC. Cancel your order for the FWD model if you have any plans or thoughts (even if buried in the most remote portions of your brain) of modifying the CLA. Once you approach the neighborhood of 275hp (at the engine) in a FWD car you're going to encounter torque-steer issues. The only real way of ameliorating that issue is with RWD or AWD. Nevertheless, the first thing I would do to a CLA250 is improve the suspension. Early reviews were all somewhat critical about its handling prowess and summarized its performance as more "cruiser" than "sport." IMHO, there's no value in adding more power to a car that isn't capable of adequately handling the power it already has. Once the handling flaws have been worked out, I would think about adding more power...but, seriously, wait for the AWD model if you're hoping to seriously modify this car.

-Eric

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No offense taken. It was just a thought that I had based on knowing that the engine was specifically tuned for economy. Just hypothosising about whether or not they would ever consider it. I'm not experiencing any performance withdraw. I have an SL55 that keeps that part of my brain busy enough. I'm just mainly thinking about firming up the transmission a bit and maybe adding about 20-30 more HP just to give it a slightly more sporty feeling than what you get right off of the showroom floor. Nothing drastic. They could do this without even adding much more torque down low with proper tuning.

Thanks!

-Jeff

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Aaaah, well you didn't mention the SL55! lol As long as you have something else to address the power junky that likely resides within then I think you're probably fine. :) I'm hoping the same is true about giving up a manual transmission in my daily driver since I have other cars with manuals.

Anyway, to your point, I think the FWD car is fine for 20-30 more hp. I'd be surprised if a decent Stage 1 tune wouldn't net that for you without any need to beef up any other components. There have also been posts about a "Sport" model (not just a 250 with a sports package) being released as a possible step-up from the base car to fill in the void between the 250 and the 45. I'd also be surprised if you couldn't pick up some of the goodies for that model out of the MB parts catalog. Certainly there will be an aftermarket whether Brabus or another tuner that will help add power to the 250.

-Eric

·
Registered
347 Posts
Where you running a Cobb, JB, or Procede in your 135? I had a 335 pushing 450 whp hehe ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts

-Jeff
I'm confused. How did you get 400 Ho off a BMW reflash kit when they only tune it to 320bp

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't use their red lash kit. I was full bolt on. I was just using it as an example.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My 335xi Sedan had catless downpipes, no exhaust, upgraded Front Mount Intercooler, Procede Flash Tune, Dual Cone Intake, upgraded charge pipe with divertor value and a full suspensions. Hence WHY i can't wait to see what modding companies do to the 45. :p:

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
My 335xi Sedan had catless downpipes, no exhaust, upgraded Front Mount Intercooler, Procede Flash Tune, Dual Cone Intake, upgraded charge pipe with divertor value and a full suspensions. Hence WHY i can't wait to see what modding companies do to the 45. :p:
You wanna race a STG 2 apr S4 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I had the following for performance. more mods than this though, but in the looks and handling department.
2009 TT 135i
AA Front mount intercooler
ER Chargepipe
Synapse BOV
AR Cattless downpipes
Injen Dual Cone intake
Cobb AP
My own Dynojet for the custom tuning. ;-)

Now I just need to figure out how to get the CLA45 to stay in FWD mode so I can have fun with it on the dyno.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I had the following for performance. more mods than this though, but in the looks and handling department.
2009 TT 135i
AA Front mount intercooler
ER Chargepipe
Synapse BOV
AR Cattless downpipes
Injen Dual Cone intake
Cobb AP
My own Dynojet for the custom tuning. ;-)

Now I just need to figure out how to get the CLA45 to stay in FWD mode so I can have fun with it on the dyno.
Sweet. Lol on staying fwd. Good luck with that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can do with with a 335xi (staying RWD) it's just a matter of tricking the computer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Brabus has a plug & play option for $1895 it boosts to 245hp to the wheel, contact [email protected] his is the brabus agent and they are ordering the parts
his phone number is 310-3399736 have your vin available

1 - 19 of 19 Posts