Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

This month I bought my first Mercedes-Benz: CLA 45 AMG, year 2017 from Germany.

This is the beginning of my journey with Mercedes-Benz and i have to be honest... I am a bit surprised? Or disappointed I would even say! The car has a Junge-Sterne guarantee so in any case I can just give it to any authorized service to fix it. Just wanted to mention that in case.

It will be a long post. I am really sorry for that but I have been preparing for this for the whole month, doing notes so that you will get the whole picture.

So these are the things I want to ask:

1. Brakes squeak. But! Not as soon as I start the engine! Only after driving a few minutes, they begin to squeak. I don't know much about cars, but for me that means they squeak when they get warm. I went to a Mercedes inspection and they measured the thickness of the discs. They said "the thickness of the break pads can not measured".
So the thickness of the discs is as follows:
Front: minimum 30.0mm, and is now 31.1mm.
Rear: minimum 20.0mm, and is now 21.2mm.
So it should be fine ... They're not really worn out. Maybe the fact that the car has not been driven for six months has an influence on this? The previous owner did not drive this car for 6 months. But I already did 4k kilometers with this car... So I think it should STOP squeaking...

So the question: how to get rid of squeaking? Do you think it's better to replace both the discs and pads, or the pads themselves? Which should I buy? And should I do it have to change them in an authorized service center or it will be OK with an ordinary mechanic?

2. There is a strange sound/noice or I don't really know how to name it when I start the engine and some time after the start when I drive. I'm posting the video below.

Seconds around 00:00:08 - 00:00:10. Anyone know what's that? Is it normal???

3. When I slow down most of the times there is a "BUMP" sound at the back. It's super difficult to describe but literally it feels just as if someone had run into the back of my car gently. I read some posts that it's normal in 4matic. But is it for sure the thing I am describing?

4. At the maximum turn of the steering wheel my tires are like... Adjusting to the rim? I don't know how to describe that... The tires are like slipping? It feels like they were jumping or something like that. I have 19 inch rims and 235 profile tires so very thin. Someone encountered anything similar before?

5. Few days ago when I turned on the engine and went out from my car I just heard some really disturbing sound from the exhaust. Video below. It seems like something was really trying to open but it can't?! Any idea?

6. I just heard that in my parking garage. When I press gas-pedal gently, the car is starting to squeak a bit. I recorded that on video. For the whole video I was not using any break pedal. Only gently gas. Can this have something in common with point 1. (my breaks squeak)? Here is the video (after 00:18 second you will definitely hear what I mean):

7. Of course my Mercedes-Benz star feel off the engine cover... Anyone have any idea where I can buy the star just to replace it?

Please let me know guys! I am really happy that I find this forum and I hope that you will be able to help me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey @Geo K about your three questions:

What city are you near? - Munchen, Germany
Front or rear wheels? - Good question... I don't really know :(
Do the discs look rusty? - No. Later I can send a picture of them.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
*Re: #7 We have seen this before...heat & vibration victim and should be covered during the MB warranty period.
Cannot find that it is available as a distinct part #. There is a fiberglass shield below the engine, which is removed for dealer oil changes. The missing star may have blown there. Another member has either replaced it with a star intended for another area, or selected one from EBay, because the only other option is a new cover.
*Other members will comment on this as well as your list of issues, which appear to require inspection on a lift.
*We usually suggest, that a first step should be for you to get a list of diagnosis codes by a code reader. In your case I recommend that you go back to the MB dealer. Your MB Junge-Sterne Warranty Package may cover some of the repairs available to you, if indeed any are necessary. Some of our German owners may comment further.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
What did they say about your other issues?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went there only for squeaking breaks sound. Other issues I found after MB inspection in 1-2 weeks period.
btw. that’s why I got details about the breaks in #1.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
....1. Brakes squeak. .... "the thickness of the break pads can not measured"....
Question "cannot be measured."
Review the videos on YouTube after entering "How to measure brake pads"- there must be a dozen of them.
The pads have wear sensors which squeak to indicate replacement may be necessary.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Also, see if you can acquire the maintenance history of your CLA....does it show the required routine replacement of brake fluid? Some owners tend to skip this and other services to save $.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the full maintenance history. Everything was changed as MB advised. All fluids etc.

Anyone can refer to my other questions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, is there any CLA Master Mind that can help? Please, I don't really know what to do now.

#1. Which rims and pads do you suggest? I know that it's the rear that is squeaking. So I will change it.

#2, #3, Any idea?

#4. I found a video that shows it:

#5. Any idea?

#6. Actually thats scares me the most. I have another video in case. But I think it's hearable. Should I explain more?

#7 :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all,

I just wanted to update the topic for future users. Maybe it will be helpful for someone.

Recently I visited MB dealer and ask the technician about all.

#2 Completely normal. It's in every MB car. It has something to do with the exhaust gases.

#3 Same, normal thing. I was told that different speed of back wheels has to be corrected and the sound is made by differential or something like that.

#4 Again, normal. Tires are very hard and thin and that's the reason.

#5 Normal. Happens sometimes on neutral gear.

#6 That actually WILL be checked. But probably not a big deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts