Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys - I wanted to get your opinion on this discount offered by my local MB dealer.

Since they did not have any cars that were spec'd with the features I wanted, I had to do a special order. They offered me a $1,500 discount from a CLA build of $37,825 MSRP. However, this will take 6-8 weeks to arrive to the dealership... pushing to end of November.

My thought is that within 2 months, the initial hype and demand of the CLA will have died down, and that it would be possible to begin negotiating discounts off MRSP, leanings more towards the invoice price. I can't decide whether to go ahead with this :sad: since I don't think I can wait 6-8 weeks.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Essentially you'd be getting it for invoice which is always good. But that also sounds a little too good to be true. There's $1500 over invoice and $1500 holdback for this car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if I'm not too familiar with these terms, but since I'm looking to finance the car, is the money factor still a concern? I thought that was only used when considering a lease.

Also, if I go ahead with this and order my car, is there the $250 special order fee? I see that fee sometimes on some websites, but when I asked the sales rep, he said that there was no extra charge to do a special order.

Lastly, if I order and put the $500 deposit on the car, am I obligated to purchase it when it arrives? Will I be able to get my $500 deposit back if I change my mind after order (due to any circumstance)? I'm located in NYC, so I'm not sure if there are special laws pertaining to certain areas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry if I'm not too familiar with these terms, but since I'm looking to finance the car, is the money factor still a concern? I thought that was only used when considering a lease.

Also, if I go ahead with this and order my car, is there the $250 special order fee? I see that fee sometimes on some websites, but when I asked the sales rep, he said that there was no extra charge to do a special order.

Lastly, if I order and put the $500 deposit on the car, am I obligated to purchase it when it arrives? Will I be able to get my $500 deposit back if I change my mind after order (due to any circumstance)? I'm located in NYC, so I'm not sure if there are special laws pertaining to certain areas.

Thanks!
These are questions you need to ask your dealer. Seems like MB gives their dealerships latitude in many areas. For example, I was pre-approved through MB financing yet they indicated the dealership will set the rate. I have never heard of such a thing, lol. My deal is I can back out at any time and my $500 order deposit is fully refundable.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
How do you know there's $1500 holdback for the car? Usually that info isn't divulged outside of the dealership.
I don't know where anyone came up with $1,5k but it's public knowledge that MB currently includes a 1% holdback on MSRP on cars sold in the US.

Here's one source: http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/dealer-holdback/

Some people are deluded by thoughts that dealers make tens of thousands of dollars on the sale of a car. I just isn't so.

-Eric

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same dilemma and finally went with one that had everything I wanted but the sport package. I received a $1,350 discount through USAA and the dealer through in the window tint ($350 value). I don't think the hype will die down on this great car. I have had many nice vehicles over the years, but this one is stands out. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
the hype always dies down... usually after the first year the hype starts to dwindle and thats when you can start picking up deals under MSRP.

Take for example the Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ. That was a car I was very interested in. Similar to the CLA it was completely a NEW model! The MSRP was around 28k for the BRZ. When it first came out the lines were way bigger and longer than the CLA at the dealer. My local dealer got in 20+ vehicles and all were pre-ordered sold. The wait time was 3-6 months! Dealers were not buding on prices at all and everything sold at MSRP and sometimes above with some stupid dealer markups. Well fast foward a year and the car has been out for over a year+. I was just on the BRZ forum and some guy was getting a deal for almost 3k below MSRP!
So will you save if you wait? Most definitely!! My guess is you can probably save at least 1500k if you wait a year. But it's always cool to be first!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
well a delaer wont do a deal if they are not making some sort of money.
I'm not sure how that explains on truecar the avg price people are able to buy Merc's are about 2k under MSRP.

My cousin just bought a C-class for about 10k under MSRP!! MSRP was like 45k. He got it for around 36k.

Thats the other thing that has me thinking. According to true car the avg purchase price for a C-class coupe is 2.5k below MSRP. Starting at 39k with more standard features than the CLA that brings the price down to 36.5k I also qualify for MB Fleet Discount so thats an additional 2.5k off on that model which bring the prices to 34k. Right in line with the CLA!

Hmmm CLA or C250 coupe.. CLA is new, fresh and more unique. C250 is the better overall car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts