Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed Bilstein coilovers and now my rear suspension is squeaking (some minor squeaking in the front). I know it's related to bushings. During the install i did't have to remove any bolts for control arms etc., so didn't have to re-torque any bolts. I tried spraying all bushings with silicone lube, but it still squeaks! Would it be the swaybar bushing squeaking. It's hard to pinpoint. Has anybody else had this issue?

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
go old school
wheels on blocks for crawl space
have someone bounce the suspension (use the door sill plastic for peets sake)
use a cheap mech stetho and poke around where your ears are hearing them

that said ... wonder if its the spring seats
may need a drop of dry lube

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Jmila,
You started with 4" ground clearance -
What is your new clearance?
Any issues with driveways, etc.?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jmila,
You started with 4" ground clearance -
What is your new clearance?
Any issues with driveways, etc.?
I only lowered it maybe an inch. Not to aggressive. No issues with driveways etc.. obviously I enter an angle when using driveways, speedbumps etc.. but no issues so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
go old school
wheels on blocks for crawl space
have someone bounce the suspension (use the door sill plastic for peets sake)
use a cheap mech stetho and poke around where your ears are hearing them

that said ... wonder if its the spring seats
may need a drop of dry lube
I have been trying to determine where the squeak has been coming from for a while. I didn't lowered it to aggressively. I was thinking it may be the spring seats..
I'm definitely not putting it on blocks. I may try a stetho though.

honestly I was hoping that there may be a common area/bushing etc. that may squeak when lowering these cars.. hoping for those who lowered their cars to chime in.

·
Registered
214 Posts
So I installed Bilstein coilovers and now my rear suspension is squeaking (some minor squeaking in the front). I know it's related to bushings. During the install i did't have to remove any bolts for control arms etc., so didn't have to re-torque any bolts. I tried spraying all bushings with silicone lube, but it still squeaks! Would it be the swaybar bushing squeaking. It's hard to pinpoint. Has anybody else had this issue?
spray ALL moving parts

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spray ALL moving parts
I did like 3 times. It's driving me nuts! I even loosened the rear control arm and shock bolts and re-torqued under load. I barely even lowered an inch.

Is there anybody on here who has lowered there car with coilovers/H&R lowering springs that experienced squeaking in the rear?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
... I was thinking it may be the spring seats..
I'm definitely not putting it on blocks.
__
@jmila713 - For any other reason than safety?
@jmc -Your suggestion above is the way I would go...how about 1 corner of the car at a time to have blocks, would that work to narrow the issue?

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
By blocks i mean anything similar to a ramp or something that can raise the car with the suspension fully loaded
eg since the suspension drop is limited most high lift jacks can raise the wheels off the ground high enough for say 2 stacked 1ft square pavers under each wheel
So when put back down the car has an extra ~4in crawl space underneath ... enough to poke around while the suspension is modulated to track down the squeak
And car must be level to have suspension in home position so will need all 4 corners up

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I installed my Bilstein shock with the lowering spring , it did squeak going over bumps for a couple of weeks before everything went back to normal.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
@cja - Was it your opinion that each shock was the source, or were you able to narrow it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts