Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed Bilstein coilovers and now my rear suspension is squeaking (some minor squeaking in the front). I know it's related to bushings. During the install i did't have to remove any bolts for control arms etc., so didn't have to re-torque any bolts. I tried spraying all bushings with silicone lube, but it still squeaks! Would it be the swaybar bushing squeaking. It's hard to pinpoint. Has anybody else had this issue?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
go old school
wheels on blocks for crawl space
have someone bounce the suspension (use the door sill plastic for peets sake)
use a cheap mech stetho and poke around where your ears are hearing them

that said ... wonder if its the spring seats
may need a drop of dry lube

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Jmila,
You started with 4" ground clearance -
What is your new clearance?
Any issues with driveways, etc.?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jmila,
You started with 4" ground clearance -
What is your new clearance?
Any issues with driveways, etc.?
I only lowered it maybe an inch. Not to aggressive. No issues with driveways etc.. obviously I enter an angle when using driveways, speedbumps etc.. but no issues so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
go old school
wheels on blocks for crawl space
have someone bounce the suspension (use the door sill plastic for peets sake)
use a cheap mech stetho and poke around where your ears are hearing them

that said ... wonder if its the spring seats
may need a drop of dry lube
I have been trying to determine where the squeak has been coming from for a while. I didn't lowered it to aggressively. I was thinking it may be the spring seats..
I'm definitely not putting it on blocks. I may try a stetho though.

honestly I was hoping that there may be a common area/bushing etc. that may squeak when lowering these cars.. hoping for those who lowered their cars to chime in.

·
Registered
227 Posts
So I installed Bilstein coilovers and now my rear suspension is squeaking (some minor squeaking in the front). I know it's related to bushings. During the install i did't have to remove any bolts for control arms etc., so didn't have to re-torque any bolts. I tried spraying all bushings with silicone lube, but it still squeaks! Would it be the swaybar bushing squeaking. It's hard to pinpoint. Has anybody else had this issue?
spray ALL moving parts

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spray ALL moving parts
I did like 3 times. It's driving me nuts! I even loosened the rear control arm and shock bolts and re-torqued under load. I barely even lowered an inch.

Is there anybody on here who has lowered there car with coilovers/H&R lowering springs that experienced squeaking in the rear?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
... I was thinking it may be the spring seats..
I'm definitely not putting it on blocks.
__
@jmila713 - For any other reason than safety?
@jmc -Your suggestion above is the way I would go...how about 1 corner of the car at a time to have blocks, would that work to narrow the issue?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
By blocks i mean anything similar to a ramp or something that can raise the car with the suspension fully loaded
eg since the suspension drop is limited most high lift jacks can raise the wheels off the ground high enough for say 2 stacked 1ft square pavers under each wheel
So when put back down the car has an extra ~4in crawl space underneath ... enough to poke around while the suspension is modulated to track down the squeak
And car must be level to have suspension in home position so will need all 4 corners up

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I installed my Bilstein shock with the lowering spring , it did squeak going over bumps for a couple of weeks before everything went back to normal.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
@cja - Was it your opinion that each shock was the source, or were you able to narrow it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By blocks i mean anything similar to a ramp or something that can raise the car with the suspension fully loaded
eg since the suspension drop is limited most high lift jacks can raise the wheels off the ground high enough for say 2 stacked 1ft square pavers under each wheel
So when put back down the car has an extra ~4in crawl space underneath ... enough to poke around while the suspension is modulated to track down the squeak
And car must be level to have suspension in home position so will need all 4 corners up
I ordered a mechanical stethoscope and am going to use jack stands.. will remove wheel and poke around. Hopefully I find the source. It's driving me nuts..lol..

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
well the problem with jack stands on the body and the suspension dropped with no wheels is that is not the loaded condition you need to have in order to isolate the issue as it occurs when all wheels are on the ground and all the mechanical primary stresses are not the same ... also the whole exercise is to track down the dynamic noise source yes? how are you gonna bounce the suspension with wheels off?
i suppose you can use a separate jack to move each corner up and down (slowly) and maybe you will hear the squeak but again that is under different mechanical conditions
all that said ... hope you do find some noise points one way or another :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well the problem with jack stands on the body and the suspension dropped with no wheels is that is not the loaded condition you need to have in order to isolate the issue as it occurs when all wheels are on the ground and all the mechanical primary stresses are not the same ... also the whole exercise is to track down the dynamic noise source yes? how are you gonna bounce the suspension with wheels off?
i suppose you can use a separate jack to move each corner up and down (slowly) and maybe you will hear the squeak but again that is under different mechanical conditions
all that said ... hope you do find some noise points one way or another :)
I was going to remove one wheel at a time and place a jack stand under the control arm.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
well that takes care of the suspension loading ... there is a knuckle point i think where the (short) jack can go
either that or a low profile hydraulic jack and you can move that corner up and down in style :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had an issue with the front when I lowered mine, sounded like a water bottle being squeezed and only happened around 40-50 degrees. Once I installed the camber arm kit in front it went away. I even had it at the dealer for 2 days and it drove them crazy, couldn’t figure it out. I would recommend camber kit for front and rear or you’ll go through tires in about a year.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
... camber kit for front and rear or you’ll go through tires in about a year.
to zeroth order i figure stock is say -30’ then lowered it increases to say -95’ so the camber kit can bring it back to say -35’ ... something like that in general?

may i ask how much camber change you got after initial lowering, and what your final reset was?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts