Mercedes CLA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah but you have had to replace at 78kms

馃ぃ

I don't see your point.

Car Manufacturers quote a whole load of rubbish.

Filled for life of vehicle is another funny one in regards to things like gearbox and diff oils.
That's why it's got covered by warranty. If you don't see the point then you need to educate yourself on start stop long life starters.

For your consideration, my patriot has 200k kms and the original starter. Laugh all you want now lol

Try to stay on topic when you post.

Registered
That's why it's got covered by warranty. If you don't see the point then you need to educate yourself on start stop long life starters.

For your consideration, my patriot has 200k kms and the original starter. Laugh all you want now lol

Try to stay on topic when you post.
I am educated

Yes they may be built for a harder life but as with any component if you can reduce the strain on them by clicking a button I will take that reduction.

I have seen many long-life starters fail prematurely. If i can increase the longevity then seems a simple choice.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I am educated

Yes they may be built for a harder life but as with any component if you can reduce the strain on them by clicking a button I will take that reduction.

I have seen many long-life starters fail prematurely. If i can increase the longevity then seems a simple choice.
The button is for shits and giggles not to conserve starter life. Start stop is designed to conserve fuel not starter life. Duh

Registered
The button is for shits and giggles not to conserve starter life. Start stop is designed to conserve fuel not starter life. Duh
Yeah I am well aware of that however more likely it ticks the save the planet box

However less starting = longer life.

Is this the 1st time you have joined a forum?

7days in so far we have had

Educate yourself
Don't comment
Duh

This is a public forum you ask a question. People comment. They are generally a nice collective of likeminded motor enthusiasts.

Maybe time you stepped away from the keyboard if you do not like others opinions / thoughts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
L
I am educated

Let me ask u a question. What is the purpose behind the button called?

Anyone? $10 to the first correct answer

Registered
What is the concept called?
Still do not understand the question

As your car is older i guess you have an ECO button, newer cars do not, for the stop/start my 2018 car has an A in a circle to turn it off (i do not use this button though)

I have my driver profile set up on Individual and selected as thus follows

steering - sport
engine - comfort
aircon - comfort
stop start - off

So my stop/start is off as soon as i start the car, the only time it will come back on if the car reverts to another driving mode, i do not understand the certain particulars on this as some times when starting the car automatically selects C mode (comfort) i then cycle it to the Individual mode and it will set the car up for my preference.

[Edit] Photo's added for reference

Automotive design Plant Home appliance Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Couldn't find it in mine...so I downloaded your '15 and don't see it...What page?

Registered
Try the owners manual lol
OK. So not an MB publication, but rather an respected on-line resource, WheelsJoint.com, which represents a 3rd party estimate of average starter life as 100 - 150,000 miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
OK. So not an MB publication, but rather an respected on-line resource, WheelsJoint.com, which represents a 3rd party estimate of average starter life as 100 - 150,000 miles.
As stated my 200k kms patriot has the original starter and a backup on the floor behind the drivers seat. So, likely, this was premature failure. 78k kms is hardly a reason for a starter to go, but the battery went also, so perhaps this is part of a grander problem. Or perhaps the starter killed the oem battery which shorted the aux down to 150/200 cc amps which will now also need to be replaced. Electrical usually all tied together over ground. How I hate those German brown wires. Redid an instrument cluster harness on an 84 944 NA. Holy, that was a pain to do. That's how I began German journey.

Registered
...Look up service schedule for starter life before u comment
Probably should be worded differently to BigJase88, because a non-MB reference was used.

Reactions: BigJase88

Registered
... What is the purpose behind the button called?...
Road Safety > At certain times in congested, hilly traffic it is actually quite dangerous to cut the engine IMO.
But I'm sure the MB engineers were also thinking about low batteries failing to re-start.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yeah I am well aware of that however more likely it ticks the save the planet box

However less starting = longer life.

Is this the 1st time you have joined a forum?

7days in so far we have had

Educate yourself
Don't comment
Duh

This is a public forum you ask a question. People comment. They are generally a nice collective of likeminded motor enthusiasts.

Maybe time you stepped away from the keyboard if you do not like others opinions / thoughts.
Sorry. Yesterday I moved in the gf and today I moved her out cause I found out she'd been cheating.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts