Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title states I want to know what is the exact purpose of the steel inside the tire?

·
Registered
120 Posts
like the mesh material you can see when a tire blows out/gets way to worn down?

edit: either that mesh material (provides support to the tire) or the tires belt (usually steel) and that reinforces the tire underneath the tread... i think.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
They used to reinforce the tire belts, or plies, with a fabric mesh material until the tech was developed to use steel instead.

In short, it makes your tire stronger, able to sustain more weight, and less prone to blowouts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Holy crap i almost knew what i was talking about. Today is a good day.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just wanting to clarify with you guys. A buddy of mine who works at a car dealership told me the purpose of the steel inside the tire was for it not to expand.

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
Oh ... circumferential stability for an ordinary tire is acceptable with typical carcass builds but as you can imagine a tire spinning at 60 will have very different physics than one at 200
Those have extra circumferential bands in addition to the steel belts to hold things all together ... since the effects are related to the square of the tire tread surface velocity
Yeah i know ... bla bla bla

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guy I know knew somebody who once told him that he was told he'd get much better reception with radio tires.
My buddy would probably believe him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts