Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some might know I'm having issues with my stereo sound, basic 100w, it's booked in to be looked at again. My findings are these, it does sound if the music is being clipped lows and highs cut, also if I use the balance and fader and go to each speaker sound seems better, I think, but as soon as you centralize everything it sounds distorted again, ideas welcome before it goes in, have read elsewhere issues with other MB models regarding software updates, not like the old days where the stereo was a box new cars where on earth is the "stereo" or is it just an electronic box buried in the dash, need some stereo thinking, not even sure that's a word but sounds good.

· Super Moderator
310 Posts
That was indeed me
Ok... then I feel a bit better. lol Because in your previous thread I insisted it's just a limit of the equipment you have... but then when you said the dealer found a broken speaker I felt bad for being so persistent. 😢

I think your system is just too weak. Even in my Burmester (not really burmester but tuned by them)... the amp is way too weak. I noticed that moving the sound focus to the front seats made the audio better. It's as if there's not enough power to power the entire car... but once the stereo moves the "focus" to the front seats... the power gets redistributed an the audio gets better. And adding a sub also made a big difference. While my stereo is not amazing... it's way better than before.

For you... you probably have to start with adding a subwoofer. Then actually changing the amp and speakers yourself. I saw a guy on TikTok that does this work... had a British accent I think. The stock equipment is just weak... there's no rescuing the stock equipment.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok... then I feel a bit better. lol Because in your previous thread I insisted it's just a limit of the equipment you have... but then when you said the dealer found a broken speaker I felt bad for being so persistent. 😢

I think your system is just too weak. Even in my Burmester (not really burmester but tuned by them)... the amp is way too weak. I noticed that moving the sound focus to the front seats made the audio better. It's as if there's not enough power to power the entire car... but once the stereo moves the "focus" to the front seats... the power gets redistributed an the audio gets better. And adding a sub also made a big difference. While my stereo is not amazing... it's way better than before.

For you... you probably have to start with adding a subwoofer. Then actually changing the amp and speakers yourself. I saw a guy on TikTok that does this work... had a British accent I think. The stock equipment is just weak... there's no rescuing the stock equipment.
Your comment "there's not enough power to power the entire car" rings bells as I've now identified that the sound is like music clipping, similar effect, did mention that moving the balance fader to each speaker was better but when it moved to all four it struggled, will give it a try moving the focus forward and see how that goes, it's too cold to go out right now plus its dark, don't want to meet the bogey man.
Don't feel bad I didn't take it that way, difficult to give and get opinions online anyway, but I think MB need to review their stereos as my wife's smart system is so much better, JBL and the cars about a third of the price of mine, still think my old Mazda 3 Bose system was the best I've had and that was a 2005 model when I bought it new, progress not always.
Think the dealer is going to just say its made that way and its basic but having listened to a "top of the range" burmester in a friend's car we both agreed they are both poor in sound quality but we'll see how it goes anyhow might be surprised.

· Super Moderator
310 Posts
Just to clarify the Burmester stereo has an option to choose which seats in the car are the focal points for the sound... but this is different than than setting the balance/fader settings.

And yes... the stereos in these cars are really lacking. Amongst the weakest of any car I owned. But we got what we got... so all you can do is improve the current system in your car. In my car there's an amp in the trunk floor.

· Premium Member
13,595 Posts
start with all settings at null
close windows
find “clean” soundtrack as bit distortions will not be a fair test - wave discontinuities will clip speakers before max functional volume is reached due to amp transient response

start with 20 “clicks” of the volume
(back down if too loud)
sitting in driver seat
tweak fader to back 1 click at a time until sound is surrounding ears instead of front stage
then 1 click back to front
tweak balance towards driver seat 1 click at a time until sound is balanced left-right
set bass 75% treble 25%
raise volume by clicks till speakers “clip”

if your ears hurt the drivers are ok
if not then system amplifier may indeed be maxing out … doubt it though for typical modern class d circuits

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had a play with the settings on my stereo and if I put it all to the rear I can go loud without a problem, go to the front and not so good, sounds like the whole door vibrates, worse on drivers side, put it central and put minus 3 on the bass and it all sounds somewhat better. I wonder if it needs more insulation in the front drivers door or maybe that like the rear they replaced is shot, odd it's the same side.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well car has been into dealer and they have looked at the system, they have found an update has been issued for the head unit, not over the air I might add, so they have done that and want me to try it and see if it makes a difference if not they said they'll have another look. They confirmed that my car was supposed to have the mid range system but due to supply issues it got the basic one lacking a separate amp, so might have to live with it, it's the limits of the system, I'm not alone with this as some higher models premium plus and amg ones didn't get burmester instead hot basic or mid range pot luck from what they said, oh well did get endless coffee and cake while I waited, they need to try each step it seems and reluctant to start taking the car apart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts