Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew if the CLA comes standard with a sunroof and the panorama was simply an upgraded option, or if there is no standard. I know most mercedes come with at least a standard sunroof and the panorama is an option. I've been looking at the owners guide that was leaked and some pictures show the panorama and a few show nothing.

Just curious as I start getting ideas for when I can officially go in and build mine

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome to our forum sxc7885 :+)
that panoramic glass roof will set you back apprx $1500... i just plan on Wrapping my roof top in glossy black and adding a rear wing roof spoiler when they become available
i have a moon roof in my current ride but hardly use and think my funds can go to a better place...

·
Registered
95 Posts
^^^ Like your ideal!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knew if the CLA comes standard with a sunroof and the panorama was simply an upgraded option, or if there is no standard. I know most mercedes come with at least a standard sunroof and the panorama is an option. I've been looking at the owners guide that was leaked and some pictures show the panorama and a few show nothing.

Just curious as I start getting ideas for when I can officially go in and build mine
Hey sxc7885, welcome to the site!

If you use Google Chrome you can go here: Mercedes-Benz Deutschland - Konfigurator - CLA-Klasse Konfigurator

And use the german website to build and spec your car and Chrome will translate it for you, it works pretty well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The CLA should come with a standard sunroof.The best way to BUY this vehicle is standard Black or white paint ,include one option premium 1 & thats it .This will keep your resale at good value plus give you great options for $33,000 great price for an upscale car,however if the sunroof is not standard DO NOT BUY THE CAR.Then they are just fooling you with this under $30,000 entry .Every car comes with a sunroof if they do not just buy the new BMW 320i & let Mercedes just live with their stinginess.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sunroofs only leak anyway, I'd rather not have one.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Added weight & comprmised head'room on a moonroof, generally speaking. They are great, when first purchased; then I don't even recall ever using it.

Now, a glass-roof would be even better (that doesn't open or just tilts up at-most). I do like the natural light early/late in the day. Make it electro-chromatic self-shading, I'm down! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
The more I think about this, the more I feel like moving away from a panoramic roof... only because of the mesh inner cover...

·
Registered
331 Posts
The CLA should come with a standard sunroof.The best way to BUY this vehicle is standard Black or white paint ,include one option premium 1 & thats it .This will keep your resale at good value plus give you great options for $33,000 great price for an upscale car,however if the sunroof is not standard DO NOT BUY THE CAR.Then they are just fooling you with this under $30,000 entry .Every car comes with a sunroof if they do not just buy the new BMW 320i & let Mercedes just live with their stinginess.
Geez man.. It is just a sunroof.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Added weight & comprmised head'room on a moonroof, generally speaking. They are great, when first purchased; then I don't even recall ever using it.

Now, a glass-roof would be even better (that doesn't open or just tilts up at-most). I do like the natural light early/late in the day. Make it electro-chromatic self-shading, I'm down! :D
I think it depends on your lifestyle. At highway speeds the open roof is noisy- or if you are on the phone. In the northeast, it's too cold in winter, too hot in summer. If I'm going slow AND it's the right time of year AND I'm not on the phone, it's pleasant. That's a relatively small amount of time- so it's not a critical feature. But, like you, I like the natural light from a glass roof. It would be cool if it were electro-chromatic and adjustable, so you could choose just the right amount of shading.

·
Registered
730 Posts
FWIW, the Panorama moonroof is an option on all other Benzes (for varying prices).

But yea- the $29.9k MSRP of the CLA, namely the "it's a Mercedes under $30 thousand!" is a bit of a chicanery. There is the $905 destination-charge (to be expected) but then the $1,200 for leather-interior, $720 for metallic-paint, and $850 for BiXenon headlamps... so about +$3.5k to the $30k MSRP to get it where it's purported by MB to be (an entry-level premium / intro-lux' sports-sedan).

I can totally see myself doing a "bare-bonez" build, standard paint, MB-Tex, reflector headlamps, etc for $29.9k. But, I want (read: need) the automatic climate control (a $2,200 Premium Package dealio, grrr!). If that was a stand-alone option, I would so go for it! A Jupiter Red CLA w/ black MB-Tex for $29.9k (plus $905 destination-charge) discounted by 10% (dreaming, I know- ha!) would be $28k pre-TTL. Add'in $50 D2R Xenon HIDs, some $500 pre-owned AMG wheels/tires (which are available for pennies-on-the-dollar), $75 replica trunklid lip-spoiler (via ebay), done! Talk about-bang-for-the-buck! Hmmm... :D

I think there's a sweet-spot for the CLA looking downstream, at about $35k'ish out-the-door. If going bare-bones/no-frills at $30k pre-TTL (no options/packages), might as well get something else for less but end up getting more, so to speak. If going fully-loaded/spec'd at $40k+ pre-TTL, then it'll not translate into residuals upon resale & lead to disappointment if expecting such (but offer a lot of smiles-per-miles!).

With all that said, I can see the CLA MSRP going up in the U.S. by a few thousand dollars within a year or two of release of subsequent model-years. Which, in turn will preserve residuals on the release-year examples that started at $29.9k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think this panoramic sunroof is just too much money for something hardly ever used. I have sunroof on my BMW 3-series and use it mainly as a poptop when driving around town or when parked in the sun. That's all I need. I'm also concerned about decreased headroom and weight. So, I'm thinking of skipping the panoramic sunroof and just having an aftermarket poptop installed. Am I out of my mind?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Not gettig a moonroof is fine but skip the aftermarket pop top...please.

-Eric

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Go ahead and do it. It's your car.

-Eric

·
Registered
730 Posts
Seriously, what's wrong with an aftermarket pop top?
Leaks. Compromised chassis/structure rigidity. Rattles. Not OEM engineered. Blah-bla-bha...

(I'd run, not walk, away from a late-model car equipped w/ an aftermarket sunroof)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Osiris, Those are good reasons. Thank you. I also note that your Northern Lights Violet CLA is shown with "September-2014." I admire your choice, but are you really waiting another 15 mos?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Leaks. Compromised chassis/structure rigidity. Rattles. Not OEM engineered. Blah-bla-bha...

(I'd run, not walk, away from a late-model car equipped w/ an aftermarket sunroof)
Yes! I had an Isuzu Rodeo with an after market sunroof .. It broke within 2 years. It was awful. Please save yourself the headache..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts