Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few days ago the sunroof stopped closing automatically or if it closed it would open immediately on its own. Thought it was a sensor but the MB dealership says one of the rails is broken and it's not covered under CPO warranty. They're asking $1140 for the repair so I'm wondering:

• Does this make sense?
  • How much force does it take to break this rail in the first place? It's not like we've been offroading the damn thing.
  • How difficult are the repairs if I decide to try it myself? Has anyone tried it?
Thanks!

EDIT: According to their website here's what it covered under CPO warranty
"18. Body: Window regulators, sunroof, sunroof cables, front and rear wind shield wiper linkages, power seat drive cables and seat belt assemblies."
So what does Sunroof mean, because glass isn't covered so it shouldn't be the panel.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Technically sunroof moonroof panoroof are 3 different devices but sunroof should be general language enough for coverage
Now you have me wondering how that rail busted?
Though they do spec sunroof itself and cables nothing about mechanics (eg rails)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
It makes no sense that the sunroof rail is not covered under CPO?!? What makes that part so unique? Have they shown you documentation to that effect?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It makes no sense that the sunroof rail is not covered under CPO?!? What makes that part so unique? Have they shown you documentation to that effect?
They checked their computer system and it spit out the part isn't covered. I think I'll have a chat with MB customer service before doing anything else.

As a side note the MB original rail is $165 on ebay. Gotta love dealership prices...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry bud, it is awkward but you gotta push back on the customer service reps - their position is contingent on good reviews, mentioning this on downlow has helped me in the past. (note you dont make friends doing this tho!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah, something's definitely broken in there. It started rattling when going over bumps but I'm afraid to open it in case I can't close it again. Waiting on a response from MB customer service.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick update:
MB customer service was supposed to contact me yesterday. Still nothing. I sent them another note. This is getting ridiculous, especially given the fact how common this problem is judging by other posts on this forum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another update. Finally got in touch with customer service 2 weeks ago. They did confirm the rail isn't covered by CPO but they could plead with the dealership to perform a "good will" repair. Still haven heard back. Chased them yesterday - no response.

Guess what car brand I won't consider ever again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just jumped into this forum with some information you guys might find interesting, I install and repair sunroofs here in Australia and the last couple of years this model sunroof has been turning up with broken parts quite a lot . What we have found is that when the roof is open the two mounting fittings at the front and rear are quite close to each other and the main part of the glass is overhanging the rear guide , the weight of the glass in that position places a lot of weight in an upward direction on the front fitting . If you go over a speed bump or a decent pothole with the roof open the front plastic guide will shatter leaving you with either a lot of wind noise or a corner of the roof lifting up and down . Its a complex job to replace the guide as the whole rail assembly needs to be replaced , if your vehicle is only just out of warranty I have suggested to a few customers to apply for out of warranty claim . Now here is the interesting thing Mercedes know about this problem as some Merc dealers I have contacted have up to 6 sets of rails instock , normally any sunroof parts are on a ten day waiting for delivery but this model is an exception .

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I have just jumped into this forum with some information you guys might find interesting, I install and repair sunroofs here in Australia and the last couple of years this model sunroof has been turning up with broken parts quite a lot . What we have found is that when the roof is open the two mounting fittings at the front and rear are quite close to each other and the main part of the glass is overhanging the rear guide , the weight of the glass in that position places a lot of weight in an upward direction on the front fitting . If you go over a speed bump or a decent pothole with the roof open the front plastic guide will shatter leaving you with either a lot of wind noise or a corner of the roof lifting up and down . Its a complex job to replace the guide as the whole rail assembly needs to be replaced , if your vehicle is only just out of warranty I have suggested to a few customers to apply for out of warranty claim . Now here is the interesting thing Mercedes know about this problem as some Merc dealers I have contacted have up to 6 sets of rails instock , normally any sunroof parts are on a ten day waiting for delivery but this model is an exception .
Damn! That is screwed up!

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
... the weight of the glass in that position places a lot of weight in an upward direction on the front fitting . If you go over a speed bump or a decent pothole with the roof open the front plastic guide will shatter ...
not surprised ... the polymer part gets brittle over time
of course the long moment cantilever design doesnt help
i usually only open 50% travel cuz of that worry

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
They checked their computer system and it spit out the part isn't covered. I think I'll have a chat with MB customer service before doing anything else.

As a side note the MB original rail is $165 on ebay. Gotta love dealership prices...
Yes, it may be $165 for the rails on ebay, but with MB, its probably going to be like $300.00 The rest of the cost ~ $800 is due to labor cost. They will claim it takes them 4-5 hours of labor to get it done.
Buy the part on ebay, and get a dependable autobody shop person to get it done. They should be able to work it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interesting that it's not covered under CPO warranty. I recall the sales man I worked with pointing out the pros of getting CPO and the CLA I was looking at already had some issue with the panoroof which they fixed it under warranty prior to me buying the car.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Interesting that it's not covered under CPO warranty. I recall the sales man I worked with pointing out the pros of getting CPO and the CLA I was looking at already had some issue with the panoroof which they fixed it under warranty prior to me buying the car.
Hmmm ... they courtesy fixed it to sell the car (?)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts