Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a question regarding the suspension on the CLA AMG. I understand it will be a sports suspension and therefore stiffer, but to what degree? For example I had a stock BMW 3 series a few years back and that suspension was so stiff it felt like my teeth would shatter every time i drove over the slightest bump in the road. Some of the roads by my house are in bad shape and I'm just looking to manage my expectations. Can anyone shed some light as to how this AMG will shape up. Also, do I have any options around this?
Thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Your choice is the stock AMG suspension and a firmer AMG drivers package suspension.

Car and Driver reported the CLA is one of the better handling AMG's they have driven

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Your choice is the stock AMG suspension and a firmer AMG drivers package suspension.

Car and Driver reported the CLA is one of the better handling AMG's they have driven
Do you know what setup was tested?

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
347 Posts
I will get my specifics once AMG training happens. Which is happening next month for me. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had a question regarding the suspension on the CLA AMG. I understand it will be a sports suspension and therefore stiffer, but to what degree? For example I had a stock BMW 3 series a few years back and that suspension was so stiff it felt like my teeth would shatter every time i drove over the slightest bump in the road. Some of the roads by my house are in bad shape and I'm just looking to manage my expectations. Can anyone shed some light as to how this AMG will shape up. Also, do I have any options around this?
Thanks.
The stock suspension won't be as stiff as you think

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The stock suspension won't be as stiff as you think

So Ryan you're saying stock won't be stiff, but the upgraded performance suspension will be too stiff? I'm looking for the middle ground.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The compression ratio may be slightly stiffer creating the vehicle to sit lower.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So Ryan you're saying stock won't be stiff, but the upgraded performance suspension will be too stiff? I'm looking for the middle ground.

The performance suspension is 20% stiffer which also lowers the car a slight bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll probably swap out to something stiffer. Does KW make good coilovers for Mercedes?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Thanks.
BMW generally have excellent ride quality. If you have problem with the 3-series, assuming it is not having a worn out suspension on old tires, you are going to have issue with a lot of performance cars including the CLA45 and I certainly would not think about the AMG driver package which was quoted by some testers as "punishing."

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'll probably swap out to something stiffer. Does KW make good coilovers for Mercedes?
Back in the days when I had my C63, I got KW V3 for it. Handling was so much better and I have more confidence around the corners.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just a bit on KW v3. I have had those and was shocked to find that they were of Twin Tube design. I went with hotbits which were of monotube design.

As for the AMGs, it is not only the suspension but if you get the larger wheels, it will affect the ride as well. The lower profile tires will definitely make for a rougher ride. My current DD which is on 10K/9K swift springs will knock your kidneys out so I am figuring anything is an improvement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am currently running a VW R32 on 18" 225 x 40 ( 40 being the wall profile) and I would not want any less side wall. On a good smooth road surface the ride is excellent but can be irritatingly uncomfortable for any prolonged time on a poor surface.
On the CLA45 the standard 18" AMG 5 spoke wheel is fitted with 235 x 40 , same profile as above. The CLA45 Driver's Package which includes the stiffer sports suspension also includes the 19" multi-spoke wheel, which is fitted with 235 x 35, an even lower profile tyre sidewall and therefore even firmer. Much as I like the appearance of the black 19" fitted to a Mountain Grey car I have ordered the 18" AMG which also look good and should give a better overall, more compliant ride. A further consideration is the fact that it is easier to damage the rim fitted with the 35 profile tyre.

·
Registered
834 Posts
A 235/40 (94mm sidewall) and a 225/40 (90 mm sidewall) have different profiles. The 40 denotes the percentage of the width and Is used to keep tyres conformed to the right proportions.

Ull probably find the 245/35 is as close to original tyre wall size as possible (86mm)

·
Registered
616 Posts
The stock AMG suspension on 19inch wheels is firm but excellent. I would advise STRONGLY against the AMG sport suspension unless it is a purpose track car, or unless you have a good spinal surgeon and dentist for chipped teeth.

I had a 2012 Golf R on 19inch, non magnetic suspension (ie standard suspension). The is like ROCK HARD!!! The novelty of the car wears off real quick, really jarring. Hot a bump it actually scares you with the thud sound not to mention the forces through your body. The kids and wife didn't want to be in it!

It is the GOLF R that made me weary of the ???comfort of the CLA45. Rest assured STANDARD AMG suspension, 19 inch wheels and Recaros is good, but firm, and surprisingly comfortable. I have never felt uncomfortable in it.... So far. It is not limo comfortable but I guess if that is what you are after you wouldn't be getting the CLA45.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So MAP did you get the 19" multi-spoke without the committing to the Driver's Package which includes the sport suspension? I tried to do that and told by the MB Dealer (California) that it was not possible.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
So MAP did you get the 19" multi-spoke without the committing to the Driver's Package which includes the sport suspension? I tried to do that and told by the MB Dealer (California) that it was not possible.
Multi spokes are an $850 stand alone option in the US. I ordered mine this way.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am in Sydney, Australia. Our cars come fully specked. No choice. Only options are 18Vs19inch wheels (black vs non black), carbon Fibre interior, and AMG Sport suspension.

I chose non sport suspension as our Aus dealers have been telling everyone DO NOT. Get this unless this is predominantly a track car. I agree, even if it is a track car I do t think you need the AMG sport suspension.

To give some perspective I have both hard and soft riding cars
Golf R hated the suspension just horrible.
New Porsche 991, firm but excellent (better than the CLA)
Porsche Cayenne GTS 2013 very similar to CLA45
BMW loaded 750i, a bit too soft (as expected) even in sport mode. And the seats are infinitely adjustable but drive the car hard and your bottom is sliding
CLA45 with 19 inch and Recaros, firm but just right, don't miss the BMW at all, kept the BMW cause I thought I needed to keep it for comfort (golf r experience). CLA proved I don't need it.

I know everyone is different in taste and in body size, I am 5ft 11.5 (damn that extra half inch) and 210pounds. If you like driving a car a little hard esp take off and cornering, the suspension and Recaros are just right.

Any stiffer would be a different storey. Stay away from the AMG sport suspension is my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Drove the CLA 250 and it was really plush. I have yet to drive the AMG version but I can't imagine it would be that stiff in comparison. This may be a bit of a generalization but I'm starting to get a sense that Mercedes drivers are used to a having a really plush ride if a BMW 3 series ride is considered stiff. I think the upgraded AMG suspension will probably put you in the same firmness range level as aftermarket coilovers such as KWs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts