Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read one of the reviews on here of somebody that drove one today and didn't like it. Looked small.
I walked into the dealer this afternoon and walked up surprised at how big it looked. It doesn't look like a small car. Doesn't look huge, but not small to me either.
Looks nice in pics, but man, that is one sweet looking car in person.
They had 3 come in and 2 were already sold before they got off the boat. So I was able to drive #3.
I have a volvo, so entry luxury I guess. This was the first time I've been in a Mercedes. But as soon as I sat in the seat it was like being wrapped up into the car (in a good way).
I'm 5'8" and there is plenty of room for me. I don't give a rat's patooey about the back seat. In 9 years with my volvo, I've been back there once - emergency vet trip with my great dane after she was attacked by a pit bull. I don't intend to spend much time in the back seat of my new vehicle either. My dane and dobe fit just fine in the back seat of my s40, so they will fit just fine in the back seat of this.

I went in with my mind mostly made up that I'm not buying it. It is a bit more than I really want to spend on a car, especially with no wiggle room from MSRP and needing premium gas.
Got home and DH said just do it if I really wanted to, the CLA equipped the way I want it isn't much more than the cars I'm looking at - and it looks way better than a camry (what doesn't... sorry, camry is a boring looking exterior for me).

So I'm back on the fence again. Will head over tomorrow or Wed to spend a bit more time checking it out and go for another drive before I decide.

·
Registered
495 Posts
So I read one of the reviews on here of somebody that drove one today and didn't like it. Looked small.
I walked into the dealer this afternoon and walked up surprised at how big it looked. It doesn't look like a small car. Doesn't look huge, but not small to me either.
Looks nice in pics, but man, that is one sweet looking car in person.
They had 3 come in and 2 were already sold before they got off the boat. So I was able to drive #3.
I have a volvo, so entry luxury I guess. This was the first time I've been in a Mercedes. But as soon as I sat in the seat it was like being wrapped up into the car (in a good way).
I'm 5'8" and there is plenty of room for me. I don't give a rat's patooey about the back seat. In 9 years with my volvo, I've been back there once - emergency vet trip with my great dane after she was attacked by a pit bull. I don't intend to spend much time in the back seat of my new vehicle either. My dane and dobe fit just fine in the back seat of my s40, so they will fit just fine in the back seat of this.

I went in with my mind mostly made up that I'm not buying it. It is a bit more than I really want to spend on a car, especially with no wiggle room from MSRP and needing premium gas.
Got home and DH said just do it if I really wanted to, the CLA equipped the way I want it isn't much more than the cars I'm looking at - and it looks way better than a camry (what doesn't... sorry, camry is a boring looking exterior for me).

So I'm back on the fence again. Will head over tomorrow or Wed to spend a bit more time checking it out and go for another drive before I decide.
Go with what will make you happy and satisfy you. At the end of the day it's all about the person making the payments and driving the car everyday.

I plan on making a trip to my dealership tomorrow to do a test drive and assess the car. Although, I too, have seen quite a few negative posts, I'm rocking with what I think at the end of the day because that's all that really matters!

CLA all day!!!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Go with what will make you happy and satisfy you. At the end of the day it's all about the person making the payments and driving the car everyday.

I plan on making a trip to my dealership tomorrow to do a test drive and assess the car. Although, I too, have seen quite a few negative posts, I'm rocking with what I think at the end of the day because that's all that really matters!

CLA all day!!!
Exactly. Everyone's pros and cons will be different. Like I said in my thread, it's my opinion and the negatives are the negatives for me , but there are positives of which I listed as well. Car is a definite head turner.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
182 Posts
Premium gas doesn't really bother me. The MPG on this vehicle is light years ahead of any entry luxury vehicle. The S60 I looked at got about 12 MPG less.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Premium gas doesn't really bother me. The MPG on this vehicle is light years ahead of any entry luxury vehicle. The S60 I looked at got about 12 MPG less.
Definitely agree, premium gas is better for the engine in some cases. Additionally, premium gas is only a few cents more than regular and really will not break you in terms of the cash your spending for gas. I usually use BP as I believe it's the best gas, but Shell is the best above all!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I opened the volvo page again.
30 hwy vs 38
I drove home tonight in a Buick Verano (that won't work), but the mileage on that was 32 hwy. I figured I'd do some math tonight.

My s40 is just the 2.4i, not turbo. Owners manual says premium fuel. Dealer and everybody else said just regular. So that's all I've done. I get about 26-27 avg with crap ethanol gas here.
I really just want blind side assist, but you know, dual climate control would be nice as would a rear view camera. I never put it in reverse, so no clue about the back window and if I feel I'd need it.
It just seems the base should have more with the base. The base verano I drove home tonight had a dual climate control and rear view camera (it's how I knew that where I park my car in the garage with the verano the door would still close lol). It did not have lumbar adjustments, so it isn't an option after my drive and my back hurts - but it had all this other stuff in a base model car.

The other cars still on my list is the honda accord coupe (ex-l) and buick encore (yes, entirely different than cars I've been looking at) and the volvo s60 may still be on it, as I'm sure I'll look at it again if I give serious consideration to the CLA.

The car that makes me happy may not be the car that makes my wallet happy. 2 months ago when I had found the s60 I wanted in GA, I was ready to move money to write a check and go get it and decided I just didn't want to spend that much on what amounts to 4 wheels. And I'm still there even though I've not been happy with anything else I've driven that has the lumbar support I need (or ability to make it so there is no lumbar poking out of the seat to kill my back).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts