Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First we drove the CLA. I loved it - great seats, suspension, steering, acceleration; didn't get a chance to throw it around bends. Not nearly as small on the street as it seemed in the showroom. Wife felt it was slightly tight inside, not different enough from her original CLK cab. She also felt the pickup was slower(?), I think this may be transmission-related. I am so ready to take delivery of our 45, but I have some questions: I want the driver's performance package, but neither of us like the red calipers - can they be deleted? I'm also concerned that the sport suspension might be too harsh for her (although I like everything else I read about it). Has anyone experienced it (perhaps in the A45?) or read about it?
Next came the GLK and she loved it. Had the cabin space she wanted and the driver's seat had a lumbar support that she said would be a deal-breaker if she couldn't get it on the CLA. I went through the brochures and only noted lumbar adjustment with the Recaros. Is that option the only way to get it? GLK was boring to me - guess I could live with it.
Lastly, we drove the Tesla S. What a game changer - a completely new paradigm for a life-long gear head. They tried to put us in a full-zoot P85 performance model (0-60 in ~4 sec.), but I requested a base 60 to test. They said they didn't have one, so we settled for an 85. Wife loved it: big, pretty, and luxurious, but actually a little sparse inside. Fast enough, but didn't handle well. Even though the weight is low, it still screeched around turns. Big, heavy, luxury car - good for long trips; but it only goes ~250 miles on a charge! Didn't make sense to me - especially not at the price.
In summation - the GLA45 AMG would probably be a great compromise for us - but she doesn't want to wait another year. Any suggestions, corrections, comments, or recommendations are encouraged. Information pertaining to my questions regarding the CLA45 AMG seats, brakes, and suspension are especially solicited and appreciated.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
First we drove the CLA. I loved it - great seats, suspension, steering, acceleration; didn't get a chance to throw it around bends. Not nearly as small on the street as it seemed in the showroom. Wife felt it was slightly tight inside, not different enough from her original CLK cab. She also felt the pickup was slower(?), I think this may be transmission-related. I am so ready to take delivery of our 45, but I have some questions: I want the driver's performance package, but neither of us like the red calipers - can they be deleted? I'm also concerned that the sport suspension might be too harsh for her (although I like everything else I read about it). Has anyone experienced it (perhaps in the A45?) or read about it?
Next came the GLK and she loved it. Had the cabin space she wanted and the driver's seat had a lumbar support that she said would be a deal-breaker if she couldn't get it on the CLA. I went through the brochures and only noted lumbar adjustment with the Recaros. Is that option the only way to get it? GLK was boring to me - guess I could live with it.
Lastly, we drove the Tesla S. What a game changer - a completely new paradigm for a life-long gear head. They tried to put us in a full-zoot P85 performance model (0-60 in ~4 sec.), but I requested a base 60 to test. They said they didn't have one, so we settled for an 85. Wife loved it: big, pretty, and luxurious, but actually a little sparse inside. Fast enough, but didn't handle well. Even though the weight is low, it still screeched around turns. Big, heavy, luxury car - good for long trips; but it only goes ~250 miles on a charge! Didn't make sense to me - especially not at the price.
In summation - the GLA45 AMG would probably be a great compromise for us - but she doesn't want to wait another year. Any suggestions, corrections, comments, or recommendations are encouraged. Information pertaining to my questions regarding the CLA45 AMG seats, brakes, and suspension are especially solicited and appreciated.
If you have an old body like me, it would be silly to get the Driver package. Of course unless you take every street corner like you are at Bilster Berg. Halfway decent ride quality is of paramount importance and the final 2/10th of handling the Driver package gives will not be appreciated by me although every uneven part of the road would be. So it is an emphatic NO. The CLA, by the way has standard power lumbar support adjustment with their memory seats.
Yes the GLA45 would be an interesting consideration but it will not handle like a CLA45. And it would be a tiny SUV so the practicality part is just marginal at least. I have a BMW 5 series Touring that takes care of that.
The Tesla is interesting. Lovely looking car and fast. As smart as Elon Musk is, he cannot re-invent handling which takes decades of research and tweaking. He is, however, good at thinking outside the box. Even with the best battery option, one cannot drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles at this time. So he is building a charging station on highway 5 between the two cities where you can pull in, take a bathroom break, have a drink while your car is being charged up quickly ( 45 minutes ) for free. If you are really in a hurry, they will, in 15 minutes, remove your used up battery and replace it with a fully charged one. It will cost you $50, less than cost of a tank of gas.
May be I will drive an electric car in my life time - but I need that real exhaust note. May be they can record that glorious 6 carb V-12 Ferrari sound and pipe it into my Tesla cabin when I step on the accelerator.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
And yes, BLWR993, while we are discussing which fancy car we should consider transporting our bloated bodies, there are children all over the world dying from starvation :(

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Outsider, I like to see you purchase a used Camry and give the difference with the luxury car you'd otherwise purchase to charity.
Does working three weeks in East Africa refugee camp last year & two months at AIDS children hospice in Nepal count ??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts