Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Austin, Texas and contacted the local Austin Mercedes dealer and they told me that all the CLA 250's that they received this week were sold as pre-orders and they did not yet have a demo to test drive. So, today I drove north of the city to a Mercedes dealership in Georgetown, Texas. This dealership had two cars when I arrived - one that was being delivered as a pre-order and another that they were using as a demo. The car that I test drove was Cirrus White, with black MB-Tex, premium package, standard wheels, and burl walnut wood trim.

The car was very pretty on the the inside front seat / dash and outside. This was my first experience with seeing MB-Tex and I was pleasantly surprised. It was as nice looking as leather. The burl walnut trim was also attractive.

The back seat was tight and getting it I bumped my head. (I am about 5 foot 4 inches, but I was wearing 3 inch heels) So anyone who is 5 foot 7 inches or taller would have this problem. I was disappointed that the back seats did not have any cup holders. In addition, there was no pocket on the back of the front seats (for my son to use as his personal trash can (something that I hate!!!!) or to stash his ipad. These lack of features will not make my kids happy campers.

The car handled well. It was however very slow taking off from a full stop. It felt like it took a few seconds until the full power kicked in. But, after those few seconds, it was fast.....

Rear visibility was not good. The back window is small and the large headrests block the view.

I asked the sale person about the difference in sound between the harman/kardon upgrade and the base model. He told me that if that was the only reason I wanted the premium package, he would not recommend spending money on that.

All in all, I liked the car - especially considering the price point. I plan on contacting other dealers in San Antonio, Houston and Dallas to see what they have in stock. I don't really want to order a vehicle and wait 3 months for a new car. (My Acura has about 101,000 miles on it and two days ago - the first thing ever broke on my car - it needs a new driver's side door handle..... I think that this is a sign to buy a new car)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I asked the sale person about the difference in sound between the harman/kardon upgrade and the base model. He told me that if that was the only reason I wanted the premium package, he would not recommend spending money on that.
I disagree with him... the stock sound system sucks..

·
Registered
312 Posts
These are very personal choices. You have to listen to the two systems and decide for yourself. Before I placed my order I compared every option to be sure I was spending my money wisely.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
main reason to get the premium package is for the automatica dual climate control. Stock sound system sucks.. HK system is acceptable.

also you were probably driving in Economy mode. In sport mode the car gets up and goes just fine from a stand still.

Reactions: Diber

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
wonder why our CLA's dont have the cup holders like this one ... maybe its only in the edition 1's?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
hey MBLaJolla, are you in La Jolla, San Diego?

·
Registered
33 Posts
My door handle broke a few days ago also but it's not the first thing that broke on my handed down Lincoln zephyr. I'm not too worried about fixing it because I am trading it in tomorrow to pick up my NIGHT BLACK CLA!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
i did sit in the back seat to see how it feels. you do feel kinda cramped it but atleast my head wasnt touching the roof

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey MBLaJolla, are you in La Jolla, San Diego?
Yes. Test drove one at MB of San Diego yesterday. I am somewhat deflated by the experience. It's a gorgeous car, especially on the outside. But the interior is lacking in many ways. For example, when you turn the car on and shift to R, you have to turn on the screen before you see the rear backup camera. Really. In many places it just felt like they were taking shortcuts. And watching the various reports of engine lights and towaways, I suspect it may be a year before MB gets the CLA right.

So... I am bummed. Considering the 328i seriously now. And I even have a CLA on order.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes. Test drove one at MB of San Diego yesterday. I am somewhat deflated by the experience. It's a gorgeous car, especially on the outside. But the interior is lacking in many ways. For example, when you turn the car on and shift to R, you have to turn on the screen before you see the rear backup camera. Really. In many places it just felt like they were taking shortcuts. And watching the various reports of engine lights and towaways, I suspect it may be a year before MB gets the CLA right.

So... I am bummed. Considering the 328i seriously now. And I even have a CLA on order.
Is the backup camera issue only happens on the CLA? It should be a pretty standard Command system on the CLA, meaning if it happens on the CLA, it should probably be the same on other MB cars. With that said, I agree that it doesn't sound intuitive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts