Mercedes CLA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Per-month lease payments (whether C-Class or CLA) aren't the best barometer of demand (or lack there off) unless the down-payment is taken into consideration. Zero down, now we're talking! :D

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
still, with a MSRP of 30K and a residual value typical of benzes, i'm almost certain leases wil start at $299 a month. when the c-class lease starts at $349 a month there's no way that people are going to pay equal or more for a car with lower specs.
I think $299 is a very logical advertised point for Mercedes. May be at year end or whenever the sales of CLA250 start to slow.
Based on the number you gace me, a base car can be leased close to that today @10k miles a year if one
is willing to accept a cap reduction of say $3900 ( some call erroneously a down payment.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im hopping for 420-450 w/tax included and no money down on the CLA, MSRP 41.225. I don't need the miles on the car, I live in NYC and the most Ill use the car is during the weekends. I got my Volvo in Aug 2011, it has 5,600 miles on it. I still think I can get it for 399, but I want to add some wiggle room so I do not get discouraged and look else where if its more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bottom line. None of this will apply to the CLA. They will tell you the $36000 car will lease for $700 a month. And they will work the payment down from there.
When they reach $599 a month, you think you just beat a great deal out of these guys but in fact you just got screwed.
If im told the CLA 250 MSRP 36k is going to cost me 600 over the next 36 months, Ill tell them to go see who hes gotta go see and walk away. At that point I rather get the 328xi fully loaded for 475 (w/ tax, Ive already talked to my leasing guy).

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If im told the CLA 250 MSRP 36k is going to cost me 600 over the next 36 months, Ill tell them to go see who hes gotta go see and walk away. At that point I rather get the 328xi fully loaded for 475 (w/ tax, Ive already talked to my leasing guy).
Minimum drive off ( no cap reduction ), 36 month lease, $500 discount, 10k per year 63% residual value and 0.00180 money factor = $541 + tax. ( on a 41225 CLA .)
Aisde from the new design factor, the 3 series is a far better deal at this time ( soon to be third year mid cycle 3 series vs new CLA.)

The 328Xi at $440 before tax is a very good deal on a $42000 car, A fantastic deal on a $45000 car and ridiculous deal on a $48000 car.
On a $45000 car, you need $3000 discount, a 66% residual for 3 years and a factory give away money factor of 0.00127 to come to 440 + tax with no down. Doable on BMW's as the 3 & 5 series sales are quite soft.
In California, the 528I is now on a factory sponsored $419 + tax 36 month lease program for a $50k car. With Cap reduction, of course.

·
Registered
18 Posts
BMW dealer in NY is advertising, BMW 528i w/ P1 for $439 + Tax, no Cap reduction, that might be an even better deal. All Im saying is, sure the CLA is a brand new car, but there are better cars out there thats going to cost a hell of a lot less. At this point I can't justify paying such a premium on a mediocre car, the CLA is nothing special.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
If we're applying BMW residuals (as market guidance) to the CLA and a common money factor across the board then the only differentiating factor in monthly price will be the cap cost reduction -- whether from the lessee or through factory incentives. In other words, a $35K BMW with a 60% residual, 36mos, 36K miles and a $35K Mercedes with a 60% residual, 36mos, 36K miles will have exactly the same monthly fee (unless there are factory incentives from one manufacturer that lower the cap cost on the car). Since none of us know what the actual residual will be for the CLA and/or whether Mercedes will apply an incentive to its leasing program for the CLA in order to makes it more appealing when it hits the market in September everything in this thread is speculation (even if some of it based on reasonable expectations).

Regardless, as for whether the CLA is a mediocre car or "nothing special," I'd argue that this forum hosts a relatively large community of CLA enthusiasts. Generally speaking, I don't believe people get excited about mediocrity or something they see as "nothing special." That being the case, I'm going to go out on a limb and venture a guess that there are more than a few of us who disagree with your dismissive statement about the CLA's specialness. What confuses me is why you would give a second thought to a car you find to be an example mediocrity and "nothing special." If I were you, I'd just buy or lease a BMW or whatever car you find special or "not mediocre."

Just my $.02,
-Eric

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't understand why your jumping on the defensive, but if you read the previous post through out this thread you would know that I am just as excited about this car as much as anyone else on this thread. And your interpretation of my "nothing special," either means you do not know how to understand the underlying meaning of my post or you're just bored and you need to post something insulting.

Quite frankly your "$.02" is not worth the copper its stamped on.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Sally, I'm not sure how my comments can be construed as defensive or insulting you. You called the CLA a mediocre car. You're entitled to that opinion. It's a car. I also have nothing to be defensive about. I didn't design it and have nothing invested in your (or anyone's) interest in it. I simply questioned your interest in a car that you (not I) called mediocre and nothing special. I don't know how else to interpret your statement other than at face value. We've known for some time now that the CLA is a $30K car. If anyone believes it is an overpriced, mediocre car at that price (as I know it is is to some -- I've seen people say as much on other forums) then they're free to their opinion. If you don't think that's the case, you misspoke or somehow overstated your opinion then that's fine, too. We're probably all guilty of doing it from time to time. Just clarify what you meant.

As for the value of my opinion, do with it what you wish.

-Eric

·
Registered
1 Posts
so got my quote.
ordered my cla months ago.
total sticker is about 38k.
lease.... a ridiculous 455 per month..
yeah..fully loaded c, with a much greater sticker.. is under 4..
both leases zero down, only tax and title. don't pay interest on your tax people. and in NY.

it baffles me that the marketing strategy is entry level, inexpensive mb.. so, wouldn't they end up selling more classes this way? whats the point.
and the cla is not available in 4wd till 2014.. c class I can get 4wd.. bigger engine. way more bang for my buck. 455 for a 38k car. no way 400 would be fair. even 425 because its new.

The dealer is good with me too, I have sold them half a dozen cars this year.. so if your reading this, you better make me a much better deal, you know who!
or im getting a range rover
and so will all my people when their lease is up! lol make it happen.

·
Registered
178 Posts
so got my quote.
ordered my cla months ago.
total sticker is about 38k.
lease.... a ridiculous 455 per month..
yeah..fully loaded c, with a much greater sticker.. is under 4..
both leases zero down, only tax and title. don't pay interest on your tax people. and in NY.

it baffles me that the marketing strategy is entry level, inexpensive mb.. so, wouldn't they end up selling more classes this way? whats the point.
and the cla is not available in 4wd till 2014.. c class I can get 4wd.. bigger engine. way more bang for my buck. 455 for a 38k car. no way 400 would be fair. even 425 because its new.

The dealer is good with me too, I have sold them half a dozen cars this year.. so if your reading this, you better make me a much better deal, you know who!
or im getting a range rover
and so will all my people when their lease is up! lol make it happen.
Please give us more detail on the $455/month number they came up with

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually registered on this forum seeking advice in buying a CLA. Coming into Mercedes for the first time, I test drove a fully loaded $39k black CLA one weekday. It was an amazing car yes. But the ride wasn't as smooth as I thought. In Sport mode though, yes, it was nice - didn't use paddle shifters. I waited patiently until the next weekend, watching on this forum what people are posting, and again drove the same CLA but then afterward, drove a used 2013 C300 4MATIC and then a new 2014 C300 4MATIC. Maybe it was just me, but I tell ya the 2014 C300 felt so much nicer. My depth of perception if you will was better in the C300. I felt that my carseat for my little guy fit better in the C300 than the CLA. The back seat in general was more spacious.

Long story short I went with the 2014 C300. I took a 4 year lease with prepaid maintenance, $4,500 down to get a payment at $390 all taxes and fees included. Basic money factor was lower than CLA and still may be if i'm not mistaken. It's a lovely car. I was able to take delivery same day without having to build a CLA.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The C Class is a better deal, they can take 10k off sticker. I was offered a 47k C class with no money down 2 year less for under $460 with zero down. A better deal is not always what a person wants though, sometimes you just want the car you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Guys, the C-Class is the more luxurious of the two cars. It's supposed to be bigger, more comfortable, better appointed. That's why it costs more. Its suspension isn't supposed to be as firm as that on the CLA. All of the comments and reviews that suggest a CLA costs more than a C-Class are comparing differently equipped cars. Yes, you can equip a CLA250 in the US so that it will cost ~$45K if you check every box on the option list and add in a bunch of accessories but have you ever done the same thing to a C250? Now you've got a $52K car in your garage!

What about a C300...or the C350?! Yes, you can get deeper discounts on the C-Class but that's because the current model is in its last year of production. Next year the C-Class will be all new and discounts won't be as deep and the base car is going to cost more...and you'll start seeing deeper discounts on the CLA. Regardless of discounts, the C-Class is supposed to be the 'better appointed' or 'more luxurious' car. It all comes down to what you want. If you're looking for a car based on where you can get the best deal then the CLA probably isn't the right car -- most cars that come out with as much hype as the CLA probably aren't right in that sense during their first year of production.

Look, the average CLA45 is basically a $30K CLA with $30K in options. $60K can buy you a lot of luxury and appointment in a car -- a nice 5 series, A6 or even an E-Class...and then there's the Lexus GS or even the Infiniti M and Q. It all boils down to what you want. If I wanted a bigger car with more 'stuff' I probably wouldn't be buying a CLA...but those 'more luxurious' cars don't look as good (to me) as the CLA and they won't do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds or handle like a 45.

-Eric

·
Registered
570 Posts
Coming from a guy that owned a C350 (sold it, and the wife has a GLK350). I love that car. But you buy a C-Class for different reasons than you do the CLA.

The C350 is nice but really it's a bit of an old man car. It's also a bit sluggish and heavy and doesn't really have the fun factor of a CLA45. I almost bought a S5 as well but realized too from this perspective that I'd be going through the same thing. The CLA45 in my mind is a much more interesting car than either of those.

To be fair, I'm also coming from the perspective that I'm buying car that I like for emotional reasons at this point in my life vs. practical. So take my comments with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you don't need a car today why rush? I would wait in your case.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Hello,

With all the good things said about the new C-class 2014 I wonder if it is still worth buying a E-class ?

Actually I am thinking that when the new C-class 2014 will be launched the standard e-class model will be improved to keep its rank.

What do you think ? In case I decide to buy a E-class should I wait that they launch the new C-class to compare ?

Thanks.
Don't take this the wrong way but I'm thinking you're on the wrong forum. You've now posted three times (four if you count the two I merged in this thread). In your first posts you said the CLA was 'cheap' and not as good as the C. You're entitled to your opinion but now you're asking whether the C or E is better? I'm not a betting man but if I were I'd bet that a C or E class forum might have more detailed information on those models.

-Eric

·
Registered
178 Posts
They are going to push anybody who goes in for a CLA into a C-Class. They did it to me too and I didn't take. I just love the styling and features of the CLA. Honestly, I think the C-Class is a bit dated, Also, keep in mind that the C-Class is due for a redesign in 2015, which is another reason they are trying to get rid of the current C-Class. I will say this, from what I've seen the new C-Class is going to be gorgeous. The design is similar to the CLA. If you can wait, you could always look at the new C-Class next year. However, it is a more expensive car than the CLA and you won't be able the get the same deal as the current C-Class since it will be redesigned which puts it just one row under a brand new model. It will be hard to get a good deal on that. In the end, it's really about what you want. I personally didn't care too much for the C-Class, even a fully loaded one so I went with the CLA.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have to admit, the E is very nice. I test drove a 2014 E 250 CDI on Saturday. The 2143 cc diesel is awesome; it's a shame the CLA and B Class don't come in diesel form in Canada. Also, how about the fuel consumption: EPA says 45 US MPG on the highway. My road test indicated this is for real. So if the lighter, smaller C 250 CDI in the W205 is priced maybe $7000 or less above the CLA it could be tempting to someone who would otherwise consider the CLA only.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Cant go wrong with an E class, i have a black 2010 E350 pana and could not be happier. Not as sporty looking as the CLA but i've added the rear spoiler, 19" AMG wheels, and the sport grill, and the car is very sharp... The ride and power is superior to the CLA, but they are a diff class of car. As mentioned the 2014 c class looks awesome, but more $ than the CLA. Drive em all and buy what works for you

41 - 60 of 71 Posts