Mercedes CLA Forum banner

201 - 220 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yes D. I modified all my previous cars' sound system except the Audi with built in B & O 13 speakers plus a sub.
The # of speakers is no matter of been impressed

Only tells me the sound comes from everywhere and there is not really a front stage.

a 2 way, active system properly installed and good tuning would out perform any OEM system.

I'm sorry I may be going too deep into this hobby, I could guess most of CLA owners here have never been exposed to a system like I'm talking about

Still all these OEM sound systems are not crap, they sound pretty good, some better than others, but none of these companies takes the risk with so many different users, on a very good SQ system you tune for a specific user, if I Demo my car and this person is 3 inches taller than me he would probably be missing a big portion of the tuning so for MB, Audi, BMW, etc... it's safe not to go that way; too many variables.

D.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I started reading about this topic as I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile. I sold high-end home audio a few years while in collage and have a killer home system. I'm not a fan of "super bass" as most of the music in the real world doesn't have "super bass" (outside of rap/hip-hop which isn't a very big part of my collection). Sound & music quality is of course quite subjective. Nobody's ears or likes are the same.

How do you define the proper seating position while driving when there are other people with you? Are you going to fidget with the balance controls every time someone else gets in your car?

If you're really looking for the best audio experience, spend your money on a good home system and a comfortable chair. Better yet - get a ticket and go see a live performance! Investing 35K in a car to get outstanding audio is not a wise use of your money. Spending 35K on a car for a decent driving experience makes a little more sense. BTW many have mentioned that $2,300.00 will by you a much better system and I agree but, please note the $2,300.00 was not all for the sound system. You also got heated seats and several options (depending on the model year) included in the package.

Just my humble opinion - Ya gotta' lighten-up and enjoy life!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
How do you define the proper seating position while driving when there are other people with you? Are you going to fidget with the balance controls every time someone else gets in your car?
Sweet spot in a SQ car will be the Pilot's seat or both (Pilot and front Passenger)

I Have some experience with one side only (pilot) I believe the sweet spot is for me the driver, it's easier to accomplish and besides that I'm the only one in my car 99% of the time.

No adjustments for other people "All the tuning are only for the sweet spot"

D.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you're really looking for the best audio experience, spend your money on a good home system and a comfortable chair. Better yet - get a ticket and go see a live performance! Investing 35K in a car to get outstanding audio is not a wise use of your money. Spending 35K on a car for a decent driving experience makes a little more sense. BTW many have mentioned that $2,300.00 will by you a much better system and I agree but, please note the $2,300.00 was not all for the sound system. You also got heated seats and several options (depending on the model year) included in the package.

@ Northern A... in your Home system do you have a "center" channel?

D.

·
Registered
336 Posts

D.
Not for listening to music only (living room) most of the time. Can switch to surround for video applications or special recordings.

Entertainment center & bedroom usually use center channel where sound quality is less important as mostly used with video special effects.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I started reading about this topic as I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile. I sold high-end home audio a few years while in collage and have a killer home system. I'm not a fan of "super bass" as most of the music in the real world doesn't have "super bass" (outside of rap/hip-hop which isn't a very big part of my collection). Sound & music quality is of course quite subjective. Nobody's ears or likes are the same.

Yes! you are an audiophile!
Natural BASS is the most sweet BASS you ever need.
I agree, everybody is different and that is why a good sound system becomes personal .

I wish I could dedicate a room for a good home audio, some day but for now I'll have to wait until my kids grow up,
instead the CLA is getting a good sound system and since I spend lots of hours driving it's good for me.

On the other side to make a car sound good it's not cheap and very time consuming , but once you nail it down it's just unbelievable.

Your humble opinion is a very good advice and example for members like me in this forum.... THANK YOU!

D.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes! you are an audiophile!
Natural BASS is the most sweet BASS you ever need.
I agree, everybody is different and that is why a good sound system becomes personal .

I wish I could dedicate a room for a good home audio, some day but for now I'll have to wait until my kids grow up,
instead the CLA is getting a good sound system and since I spend lots of hours driving it's good for me.

On the other side to make a car sound good it's not cheap and very time consuming , but once you nail it down it's just unbelievable.

Your humble opinion is a very good advice and example for members like me in this forum.... THANK YOU!

D.
Thanks for the kind words.

Starting out certainly is a challenge, the kids do come first. Don't worry though my father always told me; "Always keep your goals stored on your top shelf and think about them enough - you'll eventually get there." So far, I've been fortunate enough that it's worked for me, I'm sure it will work for you. Just don't wait too long in the audio world as, eventually as the years go by so does our hearing. ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you guys try to tweak the settings in Engineering Mode? Sorry if it was already mentioned before: http://www.motor-talk.de/videos/engineering-mode-audio-20-w204-2011-v491667.html

Anyway seems you can improve the quality quite a bit (I used Google Translator as it's in German):

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/setup-audio-20-t4359261.html

I didnt bother to get the HK as apparently you just get additional speakers and for me the standard audio system is fair enough. I'm not audiophile though however it doesnt mean I dont care about quality. But I can hear distortion (especially when the song features strong bass) at 80-90% of the max volume. But for me its just too loud, 60-70% is my personal max. And the sound is still better than in my Smart Forfour and my Toyota Corolla - sure, these are not Premium cars but some wrote that the sound is so terrible that its unacceptable and worse than in average cars. Well, its not, its good, but not perfect, however imo still better than average. Its far from Mark Levinson's from my father's Lexus but he paid for the audio quite a bit, so Im not surprised. Nevertheless for me the standard audio in the MB is more than enough.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just picked up my wife's 2017 CLA250 last week and i think the HK system is pretty decent. I drive a BMW 328i, and that stock HiFi stereo was _bbbaaaaddd_. I had to upgrade all the tweeters/midranges in the car (7 total) with some Bavsound Stage-1 speaker upgrades (along upgrade the OEM amp with a 800w JL Audio XD800/8 amp), add dual JL W3v3 trunk subs (along with a JX500/1D monoamp), and an additional 2 Bavsound tweeters, before the sound was perfect. With the HK stereo, its obviously not a sweet as my current Beemer setup, but my initial impressions of it are that its pretty impressive, and i don't plan on changing a thing.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Yeah the (slight upgrade from stock) HK system aint that bad ... and that little sub actually works sufficiently without too much boomy emphasis

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have no problems with it. I'm afraid that my messing with it that it'll end up worse than it was.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Center Channel

D.
I actually do on a Fisher 700T, purchased in 1966 and still humming along with some minor repairs. First fully transistorized receiver with FET front end and 120 Watts per channel. Yeah that is droning on a bit. I never noticed that the center channel made much of a difference and have ended up using it to drive a utility speaker as it nicely blends the left and right channels.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Mine works brilliantly. No issues as what everyone suggests on this forum.
Mine works fine, just wish it had more bass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am the most expert audiophile on this board (even though I'm a newbie). The HK system was designed for the average guy/gal playing low rez sat radio and mp3 files. Just rip some good CDs or download some Redbook files for your flash drives and SD Cards. The bass should be turned up to near 2 or 3 o-clock and the treble up two clicks. It is not the system, it's your source. If you select enhancement, your soundsagte will rise but a little smearing will occur- IMHO it is worth the trade trade off. For a factory installed OEM branded upgrade I rate it a 6.5/10. You can go for Rap thundering bass with aftermarket LF drivers or rip the whole system out and start over at $5,000 min and loose resale value.

It smokes my 1996 air cooled Porsche 911 system. It will not compete with my aftermarket Q45 system but that is a way larger car and has more room to propagate LF response. I know the HK specialty audio guys (they were not involved with this) but I do know the late Dieter Burmester who did the big MB systems. This system is a compromise, but... garbage in, garbage out. Play better files, skip itunes and mp3s.

Peter B.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I am the most expert audiophile on this board (even though I'm a newbie). The HK system was designed for the average guy/gal playing low rez sat radio and mp3 files. Just rip some good CDs or download some Redbook files for your flash drives and SD Cards. The bass should be turned up to near 2 or 3 o-clock and the treble up two clicks. It is not the system, it's your source. If you select enhancement, your soundsagte will rise but a little smearing will occur- IMHO it is worth the trade trade off. For a factory installed OEM branded upgrade I rate it a 6.5/10. You can go for Rap thundering bass with aftermarket LF drivers or rip the whole system out and start over at $5,000 min and loose resale value.

It smokes my 1996 air cooled Porsche 911 system. It will not compete with my aftermarket Q45 system but that is a way larger car and has more room to propagate LF response. I know the HK specialty audio guys (they were not involved with this) but I do know the late Dieter Burmester who did the big MB systems. This system is a compromise, but... garbage in, garbage out. Play better files, skip itunes and mp3s.

Peter B.
Welcome, newbie!

I'm curious by what criteria you can so confidently declare yourself "the most expert audiophile on this board."

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Welcome, newbie!

I'm curious by what criteria you can so confidently declare yourself "the most expert audiophile on this board."
The same criteria I use to proclaim myself as the resident expert is front seat comfort.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Mine works fine, just wish it had more bass.
As you well know Dave, there never can be enough bass! :)
Listening to the newly discovered Stony Brook Allman Brothers concert (not the one released years ago).
Berry solo on Dreams. Oh yes!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Welcome, newbie!

Popcorn is ready to go.

201 - 220 of 245 Posts