Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new CLA45 AMG Shooting Brake. When I apply the brakes and the vehicle comes to a stop it makes a thumping noise from the rear. The dealer explained that this is normal as its part of the 4WD system. Has anyone else noticed it?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've got a new CLA45 AMG Shooting Brake. When I apply the brakes and the vehicle comes to a stop it makes a thumping noise from the rear. The dealer explained that this is normal as its part of the 4WD system. Has anyone else noticed it?
Correct pretty standard. There are other threads in relation to this topic.
My 45 does the same thing. DCT's that's what it is. ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yup! Sounds like a watermelon is running around at the back and when you come to a stop it rolls forward and makes a thump! Noise.. Hehe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks everyone - that makes sense. It does seem odd though in this day and age of technology that something like that couldn't be eliminated. Oh well, if anyone could do it, it would be Mercedes! By the way, this is a very useful forum. I just stumbled on it the other day after I bought my car. Thanks again.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Don't put the girl friend in the trunk/boot

·
Registered
173 Posts
As stated above, it is just the transmission shifting down into first gear. Actually, my 2011 Ford F-150 pickup truck (with a regular torque converter automatic gearbox) made the same thumping noise when it shifted down into first coming to a stop. On the bright side, the noise does decrease with time/miles. I rarely notice it any more.

·
Registered
237 Posts
hmm my CLA 45 just went in for service for rattling issues with the trim and i complained about the thumping noise i get from the back of the car.. they road tested played around with it for 2 weeks and determined my sway bar was causing the thumping noise and replaced it. so far 3 days back with the car i don't hear the thumping noise anymore..

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi Guys,

I just bought a 2017 CLA45 and have been complaining to the dealer about the exact same thing.Their response to me was that because it has the AMG performance exhaust on, that’s what’s making the popping sound ( even though I explained to them that’s its more of a thumping sound - like something heavy rolling in the boot and then hitting the back when I stop )

Surely this can’t be right? I mean its 2017 and you telling me that this is something Mercedes could not resolve?

funny thing is, it doesn't always do it so not very easy to always replicate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi Guys,

I just bought a 2017 CLA45 and have been complaining to the dealer about the exact same thing.Their response to me was that because it has the AMG performance exhaust on, that’s what’s making the popping sound ( even though I explained to them that’s its more of a thumping sound - like something heavy rolling in the boot and then hitting the back when I stop )

Surely this can’t be right? I mean its 2017 and you telling me that this is something Mercedes could not resolve?

funny thing is, it doesn't always do it so not very easy to always replicate.
ask the dealer if the swaybar is loose. mine is loose and was tightened up, the metal clanking sound disappear. however please make sure it is not the DCT sound that you are hearing.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hmmh interesting , never realized to think about it until this post. I don't know if it's related to the sound you're describing , but this is what I've observed .
On turns or some road bumps it actually feels like I have something in my trunk which is loose. Sounds like something big as if I have a spare tire in there which could be hitting the well walls. But obviously there's absolutely no tire or anything in the trunk. Still haven't figured it out lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
i got 2015 gla 45 with the same problem with DTC.
My dealer checked with head quarters in Germany about this and its normal. :(
very annoying sounds and they cant do anything about it.

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
i got 2015 gla 45 with the same problem with DTC.
My dealer checked with head quarters in Germany about this and its normal. :(
very annoying sounds and they cant do anything about it.
I presume you mean DCT (as in noisy gearbox) though this sound is coming from behind the rear seat ... if I read things correctly
Still think its a loose sway bar mount or something silly like that

·
Registered
222 Posts
its a common problem with this dtc, i highly doubt its a sway-bar.
You can go under the car and try to move the sway bar , if it loose then may be , but still it would make different sound.
C

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Oh wait folks ... might it be the engage and disengage of the rear diff plates? But dont think the rear is limited slip so I am just guessing ...

·
Registered
222 Posts
mine does under the seat.

·
Registered
222 Posts
my does it under the seat not rear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I actually thought it was because my car was lowered. Good to know that its normal but it is annoying. It sounded like it was coming from my sway bar or end links.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts