Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Just bought a CLA45 and we have come across the noise. Throughly disappointed in the vehicle. We are going to take the matter further with Merc as we don't think its acceptable . What happened when we all go and sell the cars ? Just wondering if anybody has actually had repairs and the noise has gone away. Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just Brought mine into the dealer and they said..

Just Brought mine into the dealer and they said that the noise is caused by the rear differential. Apparently mine is being replaced tomorrow so will post an update once the work is completed. Thankfully under warranty.

2015 cla45 model with 17000kms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all
I'm new to this forum
Just picked up my 2017 CLA45 SB a couple weeks ago. Have only completed 500kms and have noticed the clunking sound coming from the rear described in this thread.
It's really annoying and wondering if it's something I need to take up with the dealer as there seems to be mixed opinions on the source.

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
Hi all
I'm new to this forum
Just picked up my 2017 CLA45 SB a couple weeks ago. Have only completed 500kms and have noticed the clunking sound coming from the rear described in this thread.
It's really annoying and wondering if it's something I need to take up with the dealer as there seems to be mixed opinions on the source.
several threads with similar issue ... most of them were rear diff problems

·
Registered
538 Posts
So I had the same issue the dealer wasn’t able to hear it. However in the past few thousand miles I’ve hardly heard it and can’t remember hearing it anymore . It’s at 24.5k miles now so possibly goes away w time.

If life is a highway, then the car is ?

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
So I had the same issue the dealer wasn’t able to hear it. However in the past few thousand miles I’ve hardly heard it and can’t remember hearing it anymore . It’s at 24.5k miles now so possibly goes away w time.
... better hope your sound gremlin dont come back with a vengeance ... many of our forum buds had their rears replaced

I mean their rear diffs

·
Registered
13 Posts
So...

Just Brought mine into the dealer and they said that the noise is caused by the rear differential. Apparently mine is being replaced tomorrow so will post an update once the work is completed. Thankfully under warranty.

2015 cla45 model with 17000kms.

Picked up my car and it seems that the noise is gone after a few days of driving. To note, i only heard the thumping sound when reversing more that 20 ft or so, but regardless the shop foreman said the diff was bad. He also mentioned there were metal fillings settled at the bottom (said that there were reference docs logged in their internal service bulletins).

If you are experiencing this noise, your local service center should be able to fix it. Dont let them pass it off as being a 'normal' functioning noise.

Cheers
K

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
Gear engagement tolerancing issue it seems ... those tell tale shavings
Hope the new diff is good

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a new CLA45 AMG Shooting Brake. When I apply the brakes and the vehicle comes to a stop it makes a thumping noise from the rear. The dealer explained that this is normal as its part of the 4WD system. Has anyone else noticed it?
It's the same complaint i made to my dealer too..regardless he heard it while on testdrive with him, he said there's nothing significant about it....but i know, that is not NORMAL....they blame the DCT...honestly, i've driven lots of DCT car, including those in AMGs, but yea, that's what you expect from a cheaper versioin AMG when every details are made of plastic..... (dashboard, even the engine cover, isnt actually carbon fibre...take it off and you will notice it's basically plastic... lol)...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, sorry to post in such an old topic, however few days ago I went to MB service and they told me that this BUMP sound that differential is generating is completely normal...

Has any of you guys had this problem SOLVED by some work done on differential? Or it's really (as they say) normal thing and there is no need to worry?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts