Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the Illinois Tint law as of 2014...

How dark can automobile window tint be in Illinois?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%), which essentially means the percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front side windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back side windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Combinations 1. 30-35% in the rear / up to 50% in front.
2. If you have below 30% tint in the rear, you can not tint the front.
3. If you have an MPV, which includes but is not limited to SUVs, station wagons, minivans, etc. and said MPV has factory-installed privacy glass (smoked), you are allowed to have up to 50% tint in front.

---

so my question is I have night styling package, my soon-to-come CLA will have nightstyling will it be limited to 50% tints front or since it's not an SUV it can have 35%?

should I bother tinting all around since I already have night package darkened glass on the back windows?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You do what you gotta do, but for reference all my cars have been tinted at 35% 3M colorstable since 2007 and have never had any issues with cops in the burbs or downtown.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
35% all around including full windshield?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here's the Illinois Tint law as of 2014...

How dark can automobile window tint be in Illinois?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%), which essentially means the percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front side windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back side windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Combinations 1. 30-35% in the rear / up to 50% in front.
2. If you have below 30% tint in the rear, you can not tint the front.
3. If you have an MPV, which includes but is not limited to SUVs, station wagons, minivans, etc. and said MPV has factory-installed privacy glass (smoked), you are allowed to have up to 50% tint in front.

---

so my question is I have night styling package, my soon-to-come CLA will have nightstyling will it be limited to 50% tints front or since it's not an SUV it can have 35%?

should I bother tinting all around since I already have night package darkened glass on the back windows?
Don't know what you're expecting, but the NSP is not making any difference to you window tint.

The MB marketing photos mostly shows cars with NSP and the Euro factory tint in the rear windows.
That tint is extremely dark, not sure but maybe 5% and probably illegal in most states so we don't get it in the US. Wish we did.

Haven't done my tint yet but think I'll do 35%/20% (in Florida we can do 28%/15%) so it may work out right with the degree of tint that we get as standard.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't know what you're expecting, but the NSP is not making any difference to you window tint.
He's right. I got the NSP and was a bit shocked when none of the windows were tinted. I actually just took it to a place and got the windows tinted today. I live in NJ so, by law, I'm not supposed to have tint on the fronts. I just got the rears and the back window tinted and went as dark as possible.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You can do 50% up front, 35% in the rear - that is what the law appears to state. Nobody here will suggest to you to do anything different than the law, just say what they've done. Do what you are comfortable with.

Reactions: CyberGuyPR

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I went with 35% sides and rear window. Been pretty happy with it paid $200.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts