Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 CLA 250 4matic and I need to buy tires. I have the original Pirelli run flats on the car and I want to switch to conventional tires. I am not happy with the harshness of the run flats nor the road noise. What are some suggestions for better comfort and less road noise in a tire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello im currently using a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40/18 , these are way so pretty good for the price !

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Pretty much any good tier non rft will do fine
From the expensive mich 4s down to the more reasonable barum (part of conti)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I run barums and for the price you cant beat them. They need time to break in but for a cheap tire that is a little brother of conti and is used mostly in stock European cars you cant really go wrong.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thats good feedback! And they are not that heavy ...
Only think I noticed was it sometimes seems to take a millisecond to grab on sharp turns. Not sure if that makes any sense but after 1000 miles it seems to have dissipated. The tread wear is really good and they seem to ride quiet so I would suggest to anyone looking for a budget tire.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
If you want to put in the time, there are myltiple threads on this forum about RF vs non-RF. Originally, some would swap out their OEM tires and claim a "night and day" difference, but most of us have seen slight improvement in ride quality that is directly attributable to RFs.

Our cars are set up for high performance low profile tires. You'd probably get a noticeably better ride, maybe at the expense of performance, if you could figure out how to use a grand touring tire; but no one seems to have solved that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just put the new Continental tires on today and what a huge difference! So much better ride and dramatically less road noise. Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Just put the new Continental tires on today and what a huge difference! So much better ride and dramatically less road noise. Thanks for the suggestions
Told ya!
Yeah I like em too ... got mind c h e a p during a sale think it was like $104 each what a deal

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Not bad for (my) 235/40-18 with XL sidewalls
These need about 250mi straightline granny scrub in before they stop squirming and bite well ... but that was a nice comfy quiet trip compared to the previous rft flintstone rocks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts