Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Tire Suggestions

6K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  jmc 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 CLA 250 4matic and I need to buy tires. I have the original Pirelli run flats on the car and I want to switch to conventional tires. I am not happy with the harshness of the run flats nor the road noise. What are some suggestions for better comfort and less road noise in a tire.

#4 ·
I run barums and for the price you cant beat them. They need time to break in but for a cheap tire that is a little brother of conti and is used mostly in stock European cars you cant really go wrong.

#6 ·
Only think I noticed was it sometimes seems to take a millisecond to grab on sharp turns. Not sure if that makes any sense but after 1000 miles it seems to have dissipated. The tread wear is really good and they seem to ride quiet so I would suggest to anyone looking for a budget tire.

#8 ·
If you want to put in the time, there are myltiple threads on this forum about RF vs non-RF. Originally, some would swap out their OEM tires and claim a "night and day" difference, but most of us have seen slight improvement in ride quality that is directly attributable to RFs.

Our cars are set up for high performance low profile tires. You'd probably get a noticeably better ride, maybe at the expense of performance, if you could figure out how to use a grand touring tire; but no one seems to have solved that.

#21 ·
I'm really enjoying the new tires but now my tire pressure warning has come on saying all 4 tires need air. I know that the OEM run flats require much hire pressure than the new tires I have. How do I re calibrate the TPMS for the correct pressure in the new tires?

#24 ·
i believe in the tire pressure menu you can click okay again and it will ask to use current values and you click yes and it should use that psi .

#26 ·
I am not a fan of run-flats at all. Since I live in the Northern U.S. I always default to All-Season tires. I switched out to Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus - 225/45R17/XL 94H tires and have been very pleased with the handling, fuel economy, performance and the ride isn't bad either. I now travel with a plug-in compressor & tire goop kit for emergencies. I picked up a screw 5 months ago in one of them but was able to get to a Town Fair tire shop without having to use the goop. They use an inside patch with a plug that works great and all for $ 5.95. Two weeks ago my wife's GLC300 picked up a screw same scenario, also worked out great. Last week my Tacoma's Michelin (less than 11,000 miles on the vehicle) was punctured by a sharp piece of shale from road construction and I was 500 yards from the local Town Fair Tire. I guess a lucky break. That's 3 flats in 5 months - two in the last two weeks. In the 50 years I've been driving I've only had 3 flat tires before this rash of them. What gives?

#27 ·
I run my tires at : 40 psi front, 35 psi rear. (factory recommended settings found on the fuel filler flap says 38 F, 33 R)..

#29 ·
(factory recommended settings found on the fuel filler flap says 38 F, 33 R)..
Mine notes 36/32 for normal driving (and the long and even tread life supports that)
Wonder why they have so many variants of that tire pressure sticker for the fuel door?

“Hans! Vake very sure you put zee difvervent stickers on all zee karz!”

Good grief

#31 ·
Dont think so ... the euro delivery tech q&a noted labeled pressures applicable to de and us
Also informed me factory set at 39/39 only for delivery purposes (initialize sensors leak check etc) and once off delivery site i could update to my choice
Same session also noted (back then anyway) rear spoilers prepped painted & attached only when at us vpc ... which was kinda weird and was some admin rule

#35 ·
If 36 all round works for you in terms of ride quality and handling, then stick with it.

I find the factory asymmetrical setting of 38psi front and 33 psi rear works for me. It makes sense to me too, since the CLA is not a 50/50 weighted car, the front being heavier than the rear, having a higher front tire pressure to offset the heavier front end. I think it will also help with tire wear uniformity.

#40 ·
Ah hah! Caught that pun [emoji4]

Thanks for the tip ... theres this little terrorist of a critter that is determined to leave his/her “stuff” in the engine compartment of a car parked outside in the driveway ... in decent south CA weather for goodness sake ... no matter what I do with pinesol, dryer sheets, peppermint balls, etc ... been battling this thing for weeks! Time to take it to the next (ultrasonic) level huh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.