Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already placed my order for my cla but with the discounts I get on a BMW the new 4 series coupe will be close to the price of my well equipped CLA. Any thoughts, I'm starting to get confused .

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
^^Agreed.

The cars are really apples and oranges. Mercedes can call the CLA a 'coupe' but it's a four door. The 428 has two. It's also an upmarket model. Remember, the CLA was designed to compete with the 1 series and A3. BMW's 3 and 4 series cars are direct competitors with the C Class. It may not matter much to you personally when you're the one comparing the two but, ultimately, they weren't really designed with one another directly in mind; although I'm sure cross shopping was anticipated to a certain degree.

When it comes to choosing a car you need to do what's right for you and not worry what anyone else would do. I'm not criticizing you for asking the question -- I'd do the same. Logic says to go with the 428i -- its RWD is better from a performance perspective and is also available with a manual (unless you're getting the AWD, then you're stuck with an autobox), its more of a driver's car than the CLA, its has 240hp vs. the CLA's 208, its materials are or, should be, more upscale, and you can get it cheaper than the CLA. Seems like a no-brainer, right? Nope. I was certain I would be ordering a 335i xDrive MSport -- until I visited a dealer and walked away disappointed. As baadmon suggested, I would wait and test drive them both back to back before making a decision. Go with the car that tugs a bit more at your heart strings and don't second guess your decision or worry about what some magazine or nameless person on a car forum says about either of the cars. :)

-Eric

·
Registered
180 Posts
I gotta admit I would like to test drive an S3 before buying the AMG but it looks like the Audi will be arriving quite a bit later from everything I can gather.
More of a 2015 model.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I feel the same way about the RS3. I don't think the S3 is going to have the oomph of the AMG...but I'm still not sure whether the US will ever see the RS3.

-Eric

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Eric, I know they are too totally different cars . I really am in love with the design of the CLA over everything else. I will check out both cars when then arrive in showrooms but I'm going to keep my order on my CLA. I will most likely still go with the Benz it's just a big commitment .

·
Registered
681 Posts
They are both bigger than my existing 335 Bimmer coupe, so about the same size (but neither has my 400hp or 400 ft. lbs). You can't test either now, but is a very good couple of cars to 'cross shop'.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah, of course Eric, I'd like to see an RS3 come to North America but from what I've read the chances of that are between slim and none.

I've also read that even though the S3 will be 297 hp because the car is lighter it should be just as quick as an AMG.
I guess we'll see when they start reviewing them.
The approx. 10K lower price is also appealing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was in almost the same position. I wanted the 4 series so badly that I waited quite a bit.

Then when I heard and saw that it'll be More expensive than the current 3 series coupe, I gave up. It would have been atleast 5k above the same setup of the CLA. And like everyone above stated their both different cars for different ranges and the 5k difference explains it.
If you have the extra cash and patience I'd go for BMW.
I on the other hand didn't had both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in almost the same position. I wanted the 4 series so badly that I waited quite a bit.

Then when I heard and saw that it'll be More expensive than the current 3 series coupe, I gave up. It would have been atleast 5k above the same setup of the CLA. And like everyone above stated their both different cars for different ranges and the 5k difference explains it.
If you have the extra cash and patience I'd go for BMW.
I on the other hand didn't had both.
The 4 series looks great when you add the sport package and by the time I add options it will be about 5 k more, I work for BMW so it's strange buying a benz but there really is not another car that has as much style and uniqueness as the CLA for the price. My dealer should have a 4 series by August so at least I can see the car first before I close the deal on the CLA.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This weekend I went meeting with a friend who just bought a month old 330D packed with options. Mine is also Packed.

Butttt you clearly see the different in options between even the 3 series compared to the CLA. Like:
- Navigation, the standard BMW is better in overal options than the Audio 20
- You've got a poke :p, I just want a poke even though you never use it. The handle looks so old & cheap.
- Options like, head-up display
- Steeringwheel is thicker of the BMW, I personally like that
- Surround camera around the car for parking or just for looking around
- Start stop instead of key
- Keyless entry
- M Automatic is the best automatic (sporty) I've ever driven/heard !!! Kudo's to BMW for that

Even with all these options more/extra/standard on the BMW, I'll still choose the CLA over the BMW :p.
I know my post is a bit double, but there are certain stuff on the CLA which the BMW doesn't has:
- Looks
- Limited edition, def less CLA's around than the BMW. Even though the 4 is new, it still looks a lot like the 3. Most people won't know/see the difference.
- Leather interior, I like the leather dashboard and the seats more
- Eeeeuhh I think that's about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts