Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Base Model display touch screen? Or Comand and Steering control only sources input?

Does upgrading to MM package get you touch screen?

All the reviews I have read so far do not mention touchscreen.

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
No Mercedes offers touchscreen. Technology's not there, and from a friend of mine that works at Mercedes - "It doesn't makes sense"

·
Registered
730 Posts
Major-mondo-mega safety implications, depending on the application (driver operating vehicle, etc). And the touch-enabled screens tend to be poor(er) in terms of glare-resistance w/ regards to day/natural light (namely sun).

Voice-control and/or remote touch-interface seem to be the trend as of late.

But yea... touchscreens = cool! :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes sense from safety dimension... Most of the cars today have one though ...

It would have been much cooler though :big smile:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Major-mondo-mega safety implications, depending on the application (driver operating vehicle, etc). And the touch-enabled screens tend to be poor(er) in terms of glare-resistance w/ regards to day/natural light (namely sun).

Voice-control and/or remote touch-interface seem to be the trend as of late.

But yea... touchscreens = cool! :p
I have a multi function touch screen in one of the cars and as cool as that may sound, it simply doesn't work - be it a GM vehicle or Lexus.

When the car is stationary, it is just fine. When you have a large 13-15" screen, it is just fine.

BUT, when you have even a generous by auto size of 8" screen, you have a small touch area that is two-three feet away. With the car moving, you constantly hit the wrong area.
And that forces you to look closely at the screen and NOT on the road.

So touch screen is an absolutely NO NO. It is frustrating and dangerous. The control knob everyone is moving to is a much better solution or as someone said - voice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 10-year-old Acura TSX has a touch-screen AND voice. And it works great, BTW. Sad to see everyone moving away from it. Figuring out how to get a knob to select a button that you could just touch is MORE WORK, and more likely to cause an accident. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
My 10-year-old Acura TSX has a touch-screen AND voice. And it works great, BTW. Sad to see everyone moving away from it. Figuring out how to get a knob to select a button that you could just touch is MORE WORK, and more likely to cause an accident. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
The touch screen options were very limited back then. My car has so many choices and sub screens and dialogue windows it is ridiculous. With the car bouncing on the road, my not that fat finger has a 50-50 chance of hitting the right spot. Having driven this car now for 15 months, I will not buy another car with a touch screen because it will be the cause of my untimely demise...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.