Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped to my summer tires setup... but my TPMS is no longer working...

IMG_4970.JPG IMG_4971.JPG

basically it says the sensors are active... it allows me to reset reference values for the sensor which I have done multiple times. Right now I'll just sit on it and hopefully, eventually the pressures will start reading on the display. Anyone else has experience with this?

I checked the manual (pages 320-323) and from what I can tell there's a 'teach-in' process when you swap out new tires but I'm not sure how long this process takes. I've driven the car for 3 days now but the TPMS still won't show tire pressures.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mine too about 15 minutes when I swapped my snows out for my regular tires. Did you keep the same wheels and have the shop put on the new tires, or do you have separate wheel and tires with sensory in them for the summer ones?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
mine worked normally.
are you using new wheels and new sensors? .. or same wheels same sensors different tires?

i'm not sure if this has something to do with it, but when you buy new tires, from america's tires or tire shops... they charge $15 per tire for TPMS REBUILD KIT. what is that for? could that be the reason? you think you need that kit?

·
Registered
272 Posts
A TPMS kit is a new valve stem and seal around the hole in the rim that attaches to the old TPMS. The old valve stem and seal can't be reused.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got new rims on my OEM tires. When I switched to winter (using OEM rims) I did not have this issue. Now with the new rims (with which I bought TPMS and was charged to install the TPMS by the shop) I get the above... I drove it a bit more today but still no PSI readings... I am due for Service A in a couple of weeks I will ask the dealer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Some of the aftermarket TPMS need to be programmed to work on the right frequency. Check with you installer to see if they are one of those.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Make sure it's the right frequency. I think it should be 433 MHz

As far as rebuild kits they're not necessary for relatively new wheels. I've swapped plenty with no issues. As long as rubber o-ring rebounds they're good.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure it's the right frequency. I think it should be 433 MHz

As far as rebuild kits they're not necessary for relatively new wheels. I've swapped plenty with no issues. As long as rubber o-ring rebounds they're good.
Thank you I'll look to change the freq. Appreciate the help all!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
same... I'll ask the dealer when I take it in this weekend... they probably have to set it to the right frequency like Pete mentioned earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
same... I'll ask the dealer when I take it in this weekend... they probably have to set it to the right frequency like Pete mentioned earlier in this thread.
I don't know if they can program the car to pickup a different frequency. Sensors are sold by specific freq. Hopefully they installed the right ones in your wheels. Also if the guy mounting isn't proficient he could whack the sensor while wrapping the rubber to the rim. The sensors are located relatively close to the bead. If hit with that force it'll break them. Still holds air, but sensor won't work.

Either way, dealer will know if it's broken or wrong. Maybe they can just program it? If not have them document the problem and bring that to whoever put the set together for you.

Hope it's a more simple fix for you than that.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks great suggestion. I will do just that.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
aftermarket TPMS that I bought with my summer rims (TSW). I didn't have any issues when I swapped out my summer to winter tires at the beginning of winter last year (using same rims and OEM sensors).

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'm just gonna throw this out there... Did the tech who swapped out your tires actually remember to re-install your sensors? I changed my tires 1 hr after delivery to All Seasons and I had ')' Problems. I have since rotated , remounted, and rebalanced tires and again, no problems with the sensors.
Maybe I got lucky.?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I change my wheel myself.

I have a rim/wheel set for winter and my stock rim/wheel for summer.
ok.. my bad.. didn't read that part...
hope all works out.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts