Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015,CLA250, 4Matic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2015 CLA250 4Matic with the doodoo CVT transmission. I would be coasting on the highway and when I would give it enough gas for it to downshift the car would continuously jerk forward and not downshift until I let off the gas. If it happens enough then it would go into a safety feature to where I cannot switch it from eco and I can’t downshift or upshift. It would short shift around 3k rpms up to seventh gear. Anyone ever dealt with this and know how to fix it? I feel like if it keeps happening it’s gonna blow my trans.

·
Registered
2015,CLA250, 4Matic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m dealing with this right now and trying to figure it out. Mine does a huge shift jump when I accelerate from 3rd to 4th gear 😖 it feels horrible
Hey, we follow each other on ig lmao, but yeah it’s soo bad. I was doing a pull with my friend in a gli. The stutter was so bad I had to pull over and turn my car off to reset it and it stopped. I used to think that maybe the belts in the shitvt got too hot and need to cool down but it seems to be electrical.

·
Registered
2014 CLA 250 4MATIC ✨
105 Posts
Hey, we follow each other on ig lmao, but yeah it’s soo bad. I was doing a pull with my friend in a gli. The stutter was so bad I had to pull over and turn my car off to reset it and it stopped. I used to think that maybe the belts in the shitvt got too hot and need to cool down but it seems to be electrical.
Dm me on Instagram, Im having bad bad issues with that Rn, it’s been happening to 3rd, 4th and even 5th gear at times

·
Registered
32 Posts
DID YOU FIND A FIX FOR THIS!??!

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA 45 S Digital White w/Performance Package
545 Posts
There is a huge difference between something like a Toyota Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and what we have in our cars, the Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). The DCT is basically a type of automated manual transmission with a double clutch that uses the cars computers to make decisions about gear changes. The CVT system is supposed to seamlessly change through an unending range of gear ratios while you drive. Supposedly this makes it a much smoother transition, but the down side is the dreaded CVT drone that you get as the box constantly shifts gears. That is my understanding of them, correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
13,213 Posts
think the idea of a cvt is to keep the motor at max torque band and then “slip” the rest of the drivetrain to maintain the relation between gas pedal position and wheel spin rate

dunno about these cvts ... test drove an otherwise nice infiniti and not hearing nor feeling the motor run thru its power band in each successive gear was really boring and souless in terms of being able to “feel” the car and use the paddles to avoid laboring the motor - especially in the get out of trouble cases

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Interesting this whole thread has now transformed into a discussion and thesis dissertation on CVT, all because the OP did not know what kind of transmission is in his/her CLA. No "rubber band" transmission for me, it's either DCT's or full electric direct drive.

Reactions: DrOzCLA

·
Premium Member
13,213 Posts
now if they get a four on the floor with twin 150kw twisters and embedded rim brakes that might tempt me
we had these e cars as kids just a cycle battery some klunk motor and a cycle seat but after turning them upside down figuring out sulfuric tastes yucky and cutting off some finger tip skin ... we did mod the semi direct drive (that thing actually had a diff) into a 2 speed with a simple colinear spline spur setup from an old peugeot gearbox and then we had more fun! well at least for a few laps around the hood until all the jerryrigged shaft supports fell apart and the pieces were all over the street
good lord those were the days

·
Registered
545 Posts
now if they get a four on the floor with twin 150kw twisters and embedded rim brakes that might tempt me
we had these e cars as kids just a cycle battery some klunk motor and a cycle seat but after turning them upside down figuring out sulfuric tastes yucky and cutting off some finger tip skin ... we did mod the semi direct drive (that thing actually had a diff) into a 2 speed with a simple colinear spline spur setup from an old peugeot gearbox and then we had more fun! well at least for a few laps around the hood until all the jerryrigged shaft supports fell apart and the pieces were all over the street
good lord those were the days
Now I understand where your love of tinkering with the car came from! ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Interesting this whole thread has now transformed into a discussion and thesis dissertation on CVT, all because the OP did not know what kind of transmission is in his/her CLA. No "rubber band" transmission for me, it's either DCT's or full electric direct drive.
That is a great analogy Mav, a work colleague had a Toyota CHR (with CVT) for a short period, I always asked him how long it took to wind up the rubber band before he set off in the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
13,213 Posts
Now I understand where your love of tinkering with the car came from! ;)
Yup!
Either that or it was my brothers conning me into helping fix dads carb linkage (with my then small kid fingers) which they snapped after they stole the car for girl hunting
Twits

1 - 19 of 19 Posts