Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current tires has close to 70K kms on it, and is about down to the wear indicator , hence looking to replace them.

My current tires are Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+, enjoyed them for the 3 years so far, good all season tire, good grip dry/wet, no issues driving in the winter months here in Vancouver (light snow , 0-5 C).

Just wanted to get some opinions on the following tires:

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4

PIRELLI P-ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS

·
Registered
6 Posts
My current tires has close to 70K kms on it, and is about down to the wear indicator , hence looking to replace them.

My current tires are Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+, enjoyed them for the 3 years so far, good all season tire, good grip dry/wet, no issues driving in the winter months here in Vancouver (light snow , 0-5 C).

Just wanted to get some opinions on the following tires:

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4
View attachment 66921

PIRELLI P-ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS

View attachment 66922
bridgestone driver guard. 231 a pop in texas. Great tire where im at

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bridgestone driver guard. 231 a pop in texas. Great tire where im at
Thanks for the suggestion. we have that here at Costco as well, being RFTs, they are quite expensive @ CAD290 / tire. I had RFTs before, and when it gets punctured, you can't get any place to repair it for you, and you would have to typically buy a pair of them even if only one tire was punctured, if the other tire was > 50% worn.

I also like sportier tires that can hold it's own in light snow. Apparently, the Pilot sport AS 4 does a great job, without giving up on dry/wet handling. additionally, the Pilot sport AS 4 is oem for the corvette C8.

Plus the drivegard is only 460AA, while the pilot sport AS 4 is 560AA, much better treadlife.

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
fwiw
i used to be a pirelli fan boy
until it was clear there are lighter and better tires out there

the mich a/s seems like a good option

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will be getting the Michelin Pilot Sport All season 4, as the reviews for the Pirelli P-zero all season plus, not so great in terms of wet handling and also in light snow, in comparison to the Michelin's. Its a little more expensive for the michelin's, ~ $150 more for the set of 4 michelin tires.

But knowing that the Corvette C8 has it as stock oem, makes it feel good. =)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
My current tires has close to 70K kms....
Mav, Consider sticking with the same...Even at possibly a higher local cost, they are clearly well suited to your own driving habits and existing weather conditions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a set if 4 Pirelli Cinturato P7, but didn’t splurge on the run flats this time. Total including install at Sam’s Club was $512.55 . I thought it was a great deal.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you got 70K miles out of your current tires, I suggest going back with the same tires. JMO.
it's 70,000 kms, not miles. =) If it's the latter, that would be one hot selling UHP all season tire and it would probably cost a lot of money since we won't be changing the tires for a long time. =)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got a set if 4 Pirelli Cinturato P7, but didn’t splurge on the run flats this time. Total including install at Sam’s Club was $512.55 . I thought it was a great deal.
for that price, yes, good deal...

but I had the P7 on my CLA as factory tires, not bad, but wet handling and hydroplaning , not impressive. It rains a lot here in Vancouver, need a tire with really good wet handling.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 ? I think the price are pretty good.
Great tire from reviews, pretty competitive price... but for about the same price as the Michelin AS4, the Michelin's have longer treadlife and also better overall performance characteristics.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, checked my tire tread depth again, and it was at about 3mm or ~ 4/32 in, where I think it's highly recommended to change for an all-seasons tire, especially where roads are typically wet and snow is present (like in Vancouver where I live).

Ordered them today at Costco, will have be to shipped in from their warehouse, installation in 10 days time. Price ~ USD770 (includes = tires + installation + taxes)

·
Registered
394 Posts
for that price, yes, good deal...

but I had the P7 on my CLA as factory tires, not bad, but wet handling and hydroplaning , not impressive. It rains a lot here in Vancouver, need a tire with really good wet handling.
The P7's that came on your car were certainly Run Flats. Mine came with Continentals which were OK for RFTs but, I really wanted to get away from Run Flat Tires.

My next were P7 All Seasons but not RFTs. I had a loaner for a few days that had the P7's RFTs and they were OK but you're right, they're not the best in wet & snow and were loud and stiff. The non-RFT P7's are a different tire altogether.

I also live in the frozen north in the White Mountains of NH. This is my second set of All Season non-RFT P7's and I'm very pleased with them. The first set at Sam's were US/$ 667.00 mounted. This set at Sam's was $477.00 mounted with an $80 per set promotion from Pirelli. They're great in rain and not bad at all in light snow. My CLA is front drive so I don't venture out in snow above 3" (on purpose anyway).

There seems to be a huge difference in performance in the same tire across most brands in their RFTs and their non-RFTs. Certainly side-wall stiffness is a big factor. I'm now very cautious and don't believe the performance and ratings between the two classes of the same tire apply to both RFT's & non-RFT's equally and should be judged separately.

I'm sure you've made a good choice in the Michelins, the tread pattern looks great. I'd be very interested to hear how you like them. I may switch when the time comes if they work well. I have a set of All Season non-RFTs Michelin on my wife's GLC300 and they're great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi All -
I'm glad that MAV238 got solid responses and ordered tires.

Just some additional food for thought - I posted (back in November 200?) about the Vredestein Quatrac Pro's All-Seasons I had just put on my 2015 CLA 4Matic (base model) and how quiet they were compared to the Pirelli P Zero All Seasons (non run-flat). Also that the ride was much less harsh (but not sloppy) than on the Pirellis - the new tires and old tires are the same size 225/40/R18.

So, a few months later, maybe 1000 - 1500 miles on them (I don't drive that much these days) - I love these tires! So quiet that I now notice there is a wind noise issue on the front left corner of my Pano Roof which will need to be addressed... Other than that unexpected issue, the tires hold the road great in wet or dry. I decided to stay in this week during the current snowstorm which just ended, not because I was concerned about the tires on my car, but I didn't want someone who was careless sliding into my car!
I had gone out in snow earlier this year and the tires performed well.

These tires are highly rated by various rating sites, and so far I agree with the ratings - excellent tires at a reasonable cost (about $155/US per tire including installation/balancing. No TPMS replacement, the installer said not necessary and the TPMS works fine). A well-rated local installer beat the Tire-Rack price, got the tires in the same time (2 days) and was super easy to work with. Had them do the 4-wheel alignment as well - their alignment cost was half of what my MB dealership charges.

Anyway - as stated, just some additional thoughts on a not as well known tire that, so far, is performing the way many of us want.

Stay safe!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
V cost is on par with most tires ... so gives us another option and quiet to boot
That much quieter? Wow

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got my new Michelin Pilot Sport All season 4 installed on my CLA.

Initial impressions:
  • Very quiet ride, equal to or better than my old michelin AS 3+
  • tracks good
  • No snow to test on here, it's been relatively warm thus far , > 5C

The tire looks great , much like my AS 3 +

Costco service is impeccable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I will be getting the Michelin Pilot Sport All season 4, as the reviews for the Pirelli P-zero all season plus, not so great in terms of wet handling and also in light snow, in comparison to the Michelin's. Its a little more expensive for the michelin's, ~ $150 more for the set of 4 michelin tires.

But knowing that the Corvette C8 has it as stock oem, makes it feel good. =)
Omg. I just put on the Michelin all season ( had pirelli P. I LOVE THEM. 110% better than pirelli’s. I have CLA 2017 sport AMG with only 17,000 miles. Wish I had done this a year ago. Enjoy

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Omg. I just put on the Michelin all season ( had pirelli P. I LOVE THEM. 110% better than pirelli’s. I have CLA 2017 sport AMG with only 17,000 miles. Wish I had done this a year ago. Enjoy
So you also have the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4?

only 17000 miles on the Pirelli's and you have already swapped them out for the michelins? why?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts