Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
In my CLA250, I hear a strange whistle. As if from a turbocharger. But it's not a turbocharger, I replaced it with a new one, the whistle still remained. What could it be? Where to look for the cause?
And here I found a video, there is an identical whistle when pressing the gas pedal.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
My CLA does that too... fright from the time I got the car...

Why do you automatically think that's an issue? do you have CEL lights come on? Have you had the shop run OBD on it?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Welcome to the CLA Forum :) Bosss
Members who see this thread will comment if they share this experience and help answer your question.
Video sounds great to me.
The whistle is not apparent at the exhaust....correct?
Have you listened with the hood raised and engine cover removed?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hello,
...I hear a strange whistle. As if from a turbocharger....
...But it's not a turbocharger, I replaced it with a new one, the whistle still remained. What could it be? ...
Also, Agree that it sounds like the turbo...and I like it.
I found the original video and read each of the 73 comments...Only 1 was negative about the whistle.
To further explain the Great overall sound - It is generated by the extra cost option "The 421 Sport Package Plus with AMG exhaust."
Love the popping -You are very lucky! 🍀

Reactions: alpet

·
Registered
1,669 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the answers. There is a sport version of the CLA in the video. the exhaust muffler works beautifully. I'm only interested in this whistle, as if from a turbo. This is strange, I have the CLA250 regular version and I have the same whistle. I drive out of the parking lot and my window is open, I hear that whistle. I'll record a video of my car and show it here. I have compared to other CLAs and a few have not had such a whistle. I think this is some kind of fault and not many people know it. I will add that I have no errors in the Star Diagnosis.
My car:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thanks for the answers. There is a sport version of the CLA in the video. the exhaust muffler works beautifully. I'm only interested in this whistle, as if from a turbo. This is strange, I have the CLA250 regular version and I have the same whistle. I drive out of the parking lot and my window is open, I hear that whistle. I'll record a video of my car and show it here. I have compared to other CLAs and a few have not had such a whistle. I think this is some kind of fault and not many people know it. I will add that I have no errors in the Star Diagnosis.
My car:
I still don't get why you say it is a fault?

My old 2002 SAAB turcharged 2.0t, whistles occasionally during idling, accelerating and decelerating. not all turbocharged engines are created the same, but I really think the whistling is not a particular issue. I have had my CLA for 5.5 years, and it whistle during idling (from day 1 of ownership) and now.
If there are no faults noted in your OBD analysis, why do you feel that this is a problem with your CLA?

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Wild guesses .....
A slightly loose vacuum or pressure line clamp
Or a hairline crack in a line joint
Happens

On mine no matter what state - no such whistling

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still don't get why you say it is a fault?

My old 2002 SAAB turcharged 2.0t, whistles occasionally during idling, accelerating and decelerating. not all turbocharged engines are created the same, but I really think the whistling is not a particular issue. I have had my CLA for 5.5 years, and it whistle during idling (from day 1 of ownership) and now.
If there are no faults noted in your OBD analysis, why do you feel that this is a problem with your CLA?
You are right, but this sound irritates me, I think it shouldn't be there. I have a new turbo, the mechanic says he checked everything. I want to find out if anyone else has such a whistle in their car. Maybe someone silenced that whistle. My car drives perfectly, has power, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wild guesses .....
A slightly loose vacuum or pressure line clamp
Or a hairline crack in a line joint
Happens

On mine no matter what state - no such whistling
I will check your suggestions. I will replace the air filter with a new one and check the filter housing.

·
Registered
2014 CLA 250 4MATIC ✨
86 Posts
My car:
I mean I have a “regular” Version too. It’s your turbo brother. It’s an inline four with a small turbo. Not saying there’s anything wrong with your turbo, ours just happens to make in my opinion a sexy noise, but to each their own. Let us know if anything is actually wrong but don’t waste too much money!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I mean I have a “regular” Version too. It’s your turbo brother. It’s an inline four with a small turbo. Not saying there’s anything wrong with your turbo, ours just happens to make in my opinion a sexy noise, but to each their own. Let us know if anything is actually wrong but don’t waste too much money!
the sound is sexy as the turbo stands up and makes a whistling noise, hissing. In my case, a few other people also have this weird whistle like in my movie. The sound is heard when stationary and with slight gassing. And this annoys me, the first association of this sound is "broken turbo". But the turbo is new. I will check all the accessories according to the tips from the article.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a request to you. Please check your cars if you have a whistle like mine. Write who has the same, please.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I have a request to you. Please check your cars if you have a whistle like mine. Write who has the same, please.
mine does... it occurs when idling and slowing down (sometimes)... no issues with turbo spooling or performance.

Reactions: Bosss

·
Registered
198 Posts
I love that sound on my14 CLA, sounds like jet engines I worked on in Vietnam a long, long time ago!

Reactions: Geo K and Bosss

·
Registered
1,669 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Here is a test ride - count how many times the whistle is mentioned as a positive sound.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts