Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
It sounds awesome. However I’m confused with what some say regular version. A Cla250 is the same as any other Cla250. Only base or 4matic. The rest like Amg line or sport just change the aesthetics and suspension the rest it’s absolutely the same. Packages are optional. Or you guys mean a regular version as other than a cla35/45?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a request to you. Please check your cars if you have a whistle like mine. Write who has the same, please.
Mine is a 2014 CLA 180 Amg line, it whistles exactly like yours and I like the sound. There's nothing wrong with the car, it's the way it was built. C63's have this whistle too and it's nice.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
...However I’m confused with what some say regular version....
..........................................................................................
Can you pinpoint which response(s) you are referring to?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Bosss :
a)
When you use the term "Regular" what exactly do you include/exclude?
b) What city are you near?
c) Can you answer Comment # 3?
d) Did you change the Turbo to a new OEM at an MB dealer? Was the whistle the only reason?
Mick1113 :
In any thread, we would expect that the context of "regular" will depend on what country the Member is from, what m odels/ years are in use and what the Member owns. In Bosss's example he indicates "Non-Sport," ...and is looking for support, that the whistle is not the Turbo and that it is "some kind of fault." We are not sure if there is any other reason for his changing the Turbo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bosss :
a)
d) Did you change the Turbo to a new OEM at an MB dealer? Was the whistle the only reason?
Mick1113 :
In any thread, we would expect that the context of "regular" will depend on what country the Member is from, what m odels/ years are in use and what the Member owns. In Bosss's example he indicates "Non-Sport," ...and is looking for support, that the whistle is not the Turbo and that it is "some kind of fault." We are not sure if there is any other reason for his changing the Turbo.
Thanks for the detailed response.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Bosss :
a)
Mick1113 :
Bosss :
a)
Mick1113 :
1. Regular version - I mean basic version, no amg package, not sport version.
2. Miami
3.Comment 3 is about the sport version and the amg exhaust system. I don't have that version.
4. I changed the Turbo to a new, original one. A mechanic specializing in the MB brand.

My turbo was working, nothing indicated it was broken (my car is 51,000 miles). There was just that whistle, I thought it was turbo. I changed to new ones, there is still such a whistle. That's why I'm asking in this forum, some people also have such a whistle. Maybe someone removed that whistle, dealt with it. Some people like the whistle, I don't like it. In my opinion, the turbo should whistle when it gets up and gives power, not like in the video. If someone removed this whistle, please let me know how he did it.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
use a mechanics stetho and try to locate the source
sure sounds like a venturi issue ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it with a mechanic. Maybe there really is a problem there. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I am curious,

aside from the whistling sound, do you have:

1. any acceleration issue?
2. idling issue? rough idling, idle rpm < 800 or > 800?
3. any hesitation when stepping on the gas pedal?

usually, when you think the sound like that is an issue, it should affect some performance characteristics of the car...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it with a mechanic. Maybe there really is a problem there.
I am curious,

aside from the whistling sound, do you have:

1. any acceleration issue?
2. idling issue? rough idling, idle rpm < 800 or > 800?
3. any hesitation when stepping on the gas pedal?

usually, when you think the sound like that is an issue, it should affect some performance characteristics of the car...
1. Accelerates steadily, smoothly.
2. There is no undulation when idling
3. The gas reaction is immediate

The car has no symptoms in operation. Just that low and idle whistle.
I noticed one thing. When the car is cold all night long, I start the engine and there is no whistle. The whistle starts as the car heats up. It can be heard from about 50 degrees, then all the time.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Small weld / joint fracture?
Not fully tight clamp?

Hope you trace it

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
3.Comment 3 is about the sport version and the amg exhaust system. I don't have that version.
4. I changed the Turbo to a new, original one. A mechanic specializing in the MB brand.
My turbo was working, nothing indicated it was broken (my car is 51,000 miles)....
a) Comment # 3 was intended to help You pinpoint the whistle location....Stronger with hood raised OR stronger at the exhaust.- not just for AMG.
b) In your opinion, is it possible that even though you were billed for a new turbo....it may not have been actually installed?
c) Has your quest for a solution included an MB dealer yet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
a) Comment # 3 was intended to help You pinpoint the whistle location....Stronger with hood raised OR stronger at the exhaust.- not just for AMG.
b) In your opinion, is it possible that even though you were billed for a new turbo....it may not have been actually installed?
c) Has your quest for a solution included an MB dealer yet?
a) there is no difference with the hood up or down
b) there is no such possibility, I had a new turbo in my hands. I have an old turbo at home.
c) I do not trust dealers, I prefer a mechanic specializing in MB. I have no bugs, I checked live data on SD.

When replacing the turbocharger, the manifold gaskets, o-rings and gaskets of the turbocharger were replaced with new original MB.

When posting on the forum here, I expected someone to have the same problem and solved it. Maybe someone else will answer. My video perfectly reflects that whistle.
My suspicion is the intake system, because the exhaust is sealed with new gaskets. I have to check it with a mechanic again. Thanks for your helpful feedback and suggestions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My turbo was working, nothing indicated it was broken (my car is 51,000 miles). There was just that whistle, I thought it was turbo. I changed to new ones, there is still such a whistle.
So, on the presence that you didn’t like the turbo noise.. with no codes or any other indication of a bad turbo.. you swapped to another OEM turbo?

Is another hobby of yours putting cash into piles and setting them on fire?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So, on the presence that you didn’t like the turbo noise.. with no codes or any other indication of a bad turbo.. you swapped to another OEM turbo?

Is another hobby of yours putting cash into piles and setting them on fire?
I like the work of a turbocharger, as probably everyone. But you hear in the video that the whistle is at slow and slow speed. It is not about the whistle when inserting the turbo, where it gives the most power. In no car at such a low idle speed had she whistled at me. And I already had a dozen. This is the first time I hear such a whistle. I replaced the turbo because I thought it was worn, the first symptom of a worn turbocharger is a whistle or oil leak, oil intake.

I replaced the turbo with a new one and this strange whistle at low and idle speed remained. That's why I'm looking for a person who has the same and has fixed it.
This is not my hobby, any money spent on this car is not lost to me. I want to have a car that makes me happy and makes me fun to drive. I can't leave it like that. I need to find out what it is.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Funny how a little sound can send us to the ends of the earth

Nah i get it ... i would track that muttha down to

Only when warm suggests a heavy chuck of metal with a fracture thats closed when cold and splits when warm

But there are so many thermoplastic parts on these new cars even the intake track ... gosh

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it with a mechanic. Maybe there really is a problem there.

1. Accelerates steadily, smoothly.
2. There is no undulation when idling
3. The gas reaction is immediate

The car has no symptoms in operation. Just that low and idle whistle.
I noticed one thing. When the car is cold all night long, I start the engine and there is no whistle. The whistle starts as the car heats up. It can be heard from about 50 degrees, then all the time.
honestly, if your car is running smoothly, and there are no CELs or OBD error codes, your car is fine. Unless this whistling sound is intrusive and annoying , I would chalk it off as one of the odd things from a mass produced car, that has no deleterious effect on the normal operations of the car.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts