Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only person that prefers the standard twin 5-spoke wheel over the optional multi-spoke wheels? Maybe it's because I'm not getting the night package, but I just think that they look better. I guess it is just a preference thing. I do understand most people want to differentiate their 45 from the CLA250 AMG sport package due to the wheels looking similar, but I just am not a fan of the optional wheels. Also, living in the north east with the 19's having such little sidewall (pothole buffers as I call them) scare me to death. I'm also the weird individual that likes the standard matte titanium exterior trim and body colored mirrors over the night or CF package. So, there are probably a lot of people that disagree with nearly all of my likes..LOL.

-Jeff

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm going with the twin 5-spoke wheel AND the Night Package. I prefer the classic styling of the 5-spoke wheel over the 16-spoke and I have concerns about firm and harsh ride characteristics of the 19 inch wheel with less sidewall. I do realize that the twin 5-spoke will be fairly common and that I am losing out on the wheel that is unique to a true CLA45. I have also thought about the possibility of powder coating the inside of the twin 5-spoke to make it go better with the Night Package. I don't need to make that decision until I see the car in person. There is a version of the twin 5-spoke being sold on the European CLA that has the black background color and it looks good.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I'm going with the twin 5-spoke wheel AND the Night Package. I prefer the classic styling of the 5-spoke wheel over the 16-spoke and I have concerns about firm and harsh ride characteristics of the 19 inch wheel with less sidewall. I do realize that the twin 5-spoke will be fairly common and that I am losing out on the wheel that is unique to a true CLA45. I have also thought about the possibility of powder coating the inside of the twin 5-spoke to make it go better with the Night Package. I don't need to make that decision until I see the car in person. There is a version of the twin 5-spoke being sold on the European CLA that has the black background color and it looks good.
I'm considering the 5 spoke for use as a winter setup and by aftermarket 19" wheels. The 19" stockers are going to be a bitch to keep clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
294 Posts
My current SLK has the multi-spokes so I really wasn't concerned about the cleaning aspect since I'm already used to that. For me, it's mainly about avoiding the extra firm ride of the 19 inchers and the 5-spoke design will be new and different.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Am I the only person that prefers the standard twin 5-spoke wheel over the optional multi-spoke wheels? Maybe it's because I'm not getting the night package, but I just think that they look better. I guess it is just a preference thing. I do understand most people want to differentiate their 45 from the CLA250 AMG sport package due to the wheels looking similar, but I just am not a fan of the optional wheels. Also, living in the north east with the 19's having such little sidewall (pothole buffers as I call them) scare me to death. I'm also the weird individual that likes the standard matte titanium exterior trim and body colored mirrors over the night or CF package. So, there are probably a lot of people that disagree with nearly all of my likes..LOL.

-Jeff
Jeff, you would be surprised how many people like the classic AMG twin 5ive spoke rims including yours truly. I had ordered my 45 with the standard rims but later changed to the 19" because the sales rep told me and I agree that the twin five spoke is widely available ( OEM ) on the secondary market as people replace them frequently with larger rims but the 19" are unique although I guarantee after market manufacturers in China probably already have them in prototype and ready to put into production... The 19" rims were used in the 2008 and 2009 Black series C63 cars and now filters down into the 45s. I have the European 2008 AMG sales brochure with the exact rims ( silver & black.)
I have also looked obsessively at the photos of the 45 twin five spoke rims and suspect they may be different than the Sport package rims. First, the twin spokes are less tapered towards the edge and appear wider. The exposed edge of the spokes are polished while the inside is painted medium grey. The AMG option on a E350 Touring at our dealership has a set like that and they look really good. The optional twin spoke for the E350 and E550 coupe as well as the C250 coupe are all painted light silver and has a different appearance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I originally ordered the 18" 5-spoke rims. After seeing them in person on a CLA250 I thought they looked too small in the wheel arch and opted for the 19" multispokes. There happened to be a customer SLK in the lot with similar multispoke wheels and I didn't think they looked bad at all. I prefer the softer ride which will be compromised slightly with 19s but at least they aren't run-flats.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not weird at all.

I prefer the classic twin 5 spoke wheel myself and have it ordered with the night package too. I was going to go with 19" summers and order another full set for the winter setup but according to the accessories book it's $3600 or more for a full set of twin 5 spoke rims.

So now I'll probably do after market 19" summers and 18" 5 spoke for winters.

If they made a 19" version of the 5 spoke, I'd be all over that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the 5 spokes. Just depends on what look you like. Classy/luxury or aggressive/sporty? Also agree that the 18 inch wheels will give a more compliant ride for everyday driving.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I originally ordered the 18" 5-spoke rims. After seeing them in person on a CLA250 I thought they looked too small in the wheel arch and opted for the 19" multispokes. There happened to be a customer SLK in the lot with similar multispoke wheels and I didn't think they looked bad at all. I prefer the softer ride which will be compromised slightly with 19s but at least they aren't run-flats.
I thought all CLA's had run-flats, no matter what diameter rim?

·
Registered
276 Posts
From the 2014 CLA Brochure footnotes:
Lower aspect ratio tires and accompanying wheels provide substantially increased treadwear, increased tire noise and
reduced ride comfort. Serious wheel and tire damage may occur if the vehicle is operated on rough or damaged road
surfaces or upon encountering road debris or obstacles. These tires are not designed for use on snow and ice. Winter tires
mounted on appropriately sized and approved wheels are recommended for driving in those conditions. CLA models are
not provided with a spare tire. CLA 250 models are equipped runflat tires. CLA 45 AMG models are provided with TIREFIT
sealant and a portable air pump.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I loved the standard 5 spoke tires on the CLA45 AMG we saw at the US Open, I was worried they were going to be the up charge. I'm going with these vs the black multi-spoke. I want to be able to get my hand in there to clean the inside of the rims.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
From the 2014 CLA Brochure footnotes:
Lower aspect ratio tires and accompanying wheels provide substantially increased treadwear, increased tire noise and
reduced ride comfort. Serious wheel and tire damage may occur if the vehicle is operated on rough or damaged road
surfaces or upon encountering road debris or obstacles. These tires are not designed for use on snow and ice. Winter tires
mounted on appropriately sized and approved wheels are recommended for driving in those conditions. CLA models are
not provided with a spare tire. CLA 250 models are equipped runflat tires. CLA 45 AMG models are provided with TIREFIT
sealant and a portable air pump.

Interesting...Thank you

Kinda strange though, the CLA250 I saw had what I thought were 18's and there was nothing in the trunk. Maybe the 45 is wider or run-flats handle adversely...

Either way, kinda cool it includes a portable air pump. Wonder if it doubles as a vacuum like in some of the newer minivans lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts