Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving and hit a bump. Trying to make a turn. So after I was driving normal and started braking at res lights and herd something scraping. And then found this peice is it dangerous to to just cut it off or something it’s like a rubber material

·
Registered
613 Posts
Suggest :
A) Inform your insurance co. immediately
B) Make appointment for a loaner at your MB Dealer.
C) Take it (may have to be towed) it in and get it fixed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suggest :
Suggest :
Is it really that important? I am out of warranty. Don’t feel like giving mb about 400 dollars for a whole new sheld

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Under cover panel are fairly cheap.. Maybe you can find the part number on it and ask for a price at your dealer.

I just tucked in in between that metal. Peice. And it’s staying. But now I wonder does the sliver metal get hot ? And what if that thing can catch on fire or something lol since it’s tucked in between it again I don’t even no what that thing is.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
you ever try zip ties? my audi undercarriage lost a lot of the clips and I used zip ties to hold it up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you ever try zip ties? my audi undercarriage lost a lot of the clips and I used zip ties to hold it up.
[/QUOTE

That won’t hold it. It’s rubber. Can’t i just cut this thing off? It is really important to have it on ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I was driving and hit a bump. Trying to make a turn. So after I was driving normal and started braking at res lights and herd something scraping. And then found this peice is it dangerous to to just cut it off or something it’s like a rubber material

Edit:

I tried making it stay. And it won’t should I Be worried ?? Or just cut it off

·
Registered
613 Posts
You have described damage caused by a road hazard, for which you are not at fault and is covered by your insurance. The shield protects critical areas of your CLA and is important for other purposes.
You and I would not buy a car with damage such as this...would we?
Please review my suggestion above.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
If you can try to post a picture it may help clarify
Cuz it looks like the engine shroud ... but that is hard plastic with thin metal shielding
You now note its rubber ... so difficult to identify

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Actually (though really tough to clearly identify in the video) it looks more like the heat shielding layer peeling out??
Definitely replace it or tack it back on

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have described damage caused by a road hazard, for which you are not at fault and is covered by your insurance. The shield protects critical areas of your CLA and is important for other purposes.
You and I would not buy a car with damage such as this...would we?
Please review my suggestion above.
Will I have to pay the deductible?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually (though really tough to clearly identify in the video) it looks more like the heat shielding layer peeling out??
Definitely replace it or tack it back on

Ya that’s where it’s at. It’s right behind the wheel. Next to where I did the resonator delete. But how would I find this part? Or even consider replacing it. It’s a small patch

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Ya that’s where it’s at. It’s right behind the wheel. Next to where I did the resonator delete. But how would I find this part? Or even consider replacing it. It’s a small patch
A concern is what hidden damage there is considering the results of the impact ... cuz it had to dig in to peel back
Pretty sure you can hunt down that particular shield piece and replace it ... a dealer or shop can determine it then you have a little fun one day and avoid insurance hassles
Heat shields are there for a reason ... all sorts of conduits are probably on the other side of the body they are protecting
And yanking off the damaged panel allows proper inspection of any hidden problems which some can be latent like gouged corrosion protection so rust and damage propagate over time etc etc

·
Registered
613 Posts
Will I have to pay the deductible?
………………..
Note that step "A)" above was to inform your insurance co.
You mentioned $400, but didn't say how you determined that amount. We also don't know the details of your insurance, which is also part of " A)" Your potential legitimate claim is starting to get "old" and will only become a hassle, if you wait much longer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New video
my dad just pushed it in. I drove for like 30 mins and bumps and it’s been holding what u guys think ?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You will be responsible for the deductible if they agree the damage was caused by impact but you might just be better off purchasing the part as it might not exceed your deductible.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Check to see if your ac still works. There are related parts near that area from what I can see from videos. I hit a small rock and it took out the cooling radiator which I think is located somewhere near the shield.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts