Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Just purchased a 2016 CLA Edition Orange. Dealer said it had CarPlay but it does not. Trying to determine if an OBD activator would work. I am able to access engineering mode but once there I don’t know what I’m looking for. How do I tell what version firmware I have or if the head unit is NTG 5.1 or 5.1? I do know that CarPlay shows up within the engineering menu I believe under the telephone sub-menu. My usb 2 port connection has the phone/tablet icon. The dealer looked up vin and claims there is no way to upgrade to CarPlay.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Plug your vin into datamb.com
The build sheet should tell you some info on the head unit class
For 2016 you should already have firmware so perhaps just need the hardware ports and coding (dealer or ebayobdspecial)

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
Hi all! Just purchased a 2016 CLA Edition Orange. Dealer said it had CarPlay but it does not. Trying to determine if an OBD activator would work. I am able to access engineering mode but once there I don’t know what I’m looking for. How do I tell what version firmware I have or if the head unit is NTG 5.1 or 5.1? I do know that CarPlay shows up within the engineering menu I believe under the telephone sub-menu. My usb 2 port connection has the phone/tablet icon. The dealer looked up vin and claims there is no way to upgrade to CarPlay.
Please check out this topic ( last couple pages of it ) to get a better understanding of the situation.

I also have carplay in my engineering menu, port and obd reader but it doesn't work. You'll need to get that HMI update at the dealer somehow for the activation or just give up like me haha

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
Yeah I didn't think that was possible.

@OP, are you sure its the engineering menu and not the Audio 20 menu?
Actually its possible if the dealer forgot to deactivate it , one time after the service i was able to access my engineering menu with the regular access buttons that is available online. Then when i went back the week later for smt else i think they realized it and when i got it back it was deactivated

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Actually its possible if the dealer forgot to deactivate it , one time after the service i was able to access my engineering menu with the regular access buttons that is available online. Then when i went back the week later for smt else i think they realized it and when i got it back it was deactivated
Idiots ... they could have been nice and left it open

·
Registered
527 Posts
Oh wow, thats fascinating. I wonder if I can request it to be unlocked after my warranty expires

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
Oh wow, thats fascinating. I wonder if I can request it to be unlocked after my warranty expires
I tried this at my last service before my warranty expired, they said its not possible for them to do it as if they do and if i fuck up some stuff its on them. I think if you know a mechanic at the dealer you can get it done, but not officially

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
I tried this at my last service before my warranty expired, they said its not possible for them to do it as if they do and if i fuck up some stuff its on them. I think if you know a mechanic at the dealer you can get it done, but not officially
geee ... so they dont care about us 2014s folks? :cool: but then it's kinda difficult to "mess up" anything in our engineering menus

1 - 11 of 11 Posts